One Pot Creamy Ham Mushroom Orzo - a delicious creamy orzo dish, with tender pieces of ham and flavoursome mushrooms, for an easy meal that is ready and on the table in less than 30 minutes.
One Pot Creamy Orzo Recipes
Ever have those times of the year where you decide to totally reorganize and tidy your entire kitchen, including pantry and store cupboards?
Yep here too!! Strangely I always get the urge at the same time every year which is around March time, what on earth is that all about.
Anyway organizing all my dried pulses, lentils and pasta, I had some orzo leftover that wouldn't fit in the jar, so placed it on my countertop to remind me to make a yummy dish for dinner this week using it up.
Raiding the fridge for inspiration I grabbed some thick cut ham, mushrooms and really fancied a creamy sauce and low-fat cream cheese is always on my radar to use for a quick easy creamy sauce.
What is Orzo?
Some of you may be wondering, what exactly is orzo?
It's a type of pasta similar in shape to a grain of rice which is also, known as risoni or Italian barley. It's a great ingredient to use in pasta dishes, soups or can even be enjoyed the same way as rice, except it is not gluten-free because like pasta it is made from white flour.
There are some newer products however that I have seen in Costco and Trader Joes where the orzo is made from chickpea flour or a combination of chickpeas and red lentils for a gluten-free alternative. Those varieties tend to be named risoni rather than orzo.
Substitutes for Mushrooms in One Pot Orzo?
Like the look of this dish but hate mushrooms? Then this dish is totally versatile and works with many different vegetables.
Some great swaps are:
- Zucchini (Courgette)
- or Peas (although the latter is more a legume than a vegetable, so be sure to include some healthy vegetables as your 5 a day)
or feel free to offer other suggestions in the comments below.
Substitutes for Ham
I use a thick-sliced ham in the one-pot creamy orzo dish. But regular bacon will work perfectly too or even some pork, prawns or chicken.
You can even keep it vegetarian-friendly and use a meat substitute or just keep at to purely vegetables if you prefer.
Ideas for Sides
I enjoyed this dish just as it is, straight from the pan. A perfect filling and decadent meal, but if you want to make it a bit more substantial or include some more healthy vegetables, some great side ideas to serve are:
- Grilled Zucchini (Courgette) or Asparagus
- Roasted Broccoli
- Sauteed Shredded Garlic Brussel Sprouts
- Roasted Butternut Squash
- A mixed salad (greens, cucumber, tomatoes etc)
- Roasted Green Beans
More Orzo Recipes
Love orzo? Check out some of these other recipes:
- SYN FREE BEEF CELERY ORZO STEW
- CREAMY TOMATO AND ORZO SOUP
- HARVEST GRAIN BLEND WITH CHICKEN AND SHRIMP
or head on over to my Full Recipe Index with over 900 delicious Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly recipes all fully searchable by meal type, ingredients, syn value and smart points etc
You can also subscribe to Slimming Eats so that you never miss any new updates.
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE, LET US KNOW! LEAVE A COMMENT, RATE IT AND TAG US IN YOUR PHOTOS @SLIMMINGEATS ON INSTAGRAM
See the handy Pinterest image below if you wish to pin this for later 🙂
- 300g of ham (thick cut), diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 200g of cremini (or baby bella or chestnut) mushrooms, sliced
- pinch of dried thyme
- 1 tbs of fresh chopped parsley
- 1 cup (175g) of dried orzo
- 2.5 cups (600ml) of chicken or vegetable stock
- 4 tbs of low fat cream cheese
- sea salt and black pepper
- cooking oil spray (I used olive oil)
- Spray a deep frying pan over a medium-high heat with some cooking oil spray.
- Add the ham and fry for a couple of minutes until lightly golden, remove and set aside.
- Add the onion and a little more cooking oil spray and fry for a couple of minutes until softened and translucent.
- Add the mushrooms and garlic and a little drop of the stock to deglaze the pan and continue to fry for a couple of minutes to just to give the mushrooms a little colour. Stir in the thyme and parsley.
- Add back in the ham, orzo and stock, bring to a boil, then reduce the heat a little (liquid should still be bubbling) and continue to bubble until the stock reduces down into a loose sauce and the orzo is cooked. (approx 10 minutes, if it is taking longer your heat is too low)
- Stir in the cream cheese until melted and the sauce is all creamy.
- Taste and season with salt and black pepper.
- Serve and enjoy
- Optional: Serve with a little grated parmesan (syns/points or as part of your healthy extra A allowance).
This recipe is Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly
- Slimming World - 1.5 syns per serving
- Green WW Smart Points - 9 per serving
- Blue WW Smart Points - 9 per serving
- Purple WW Smart Points - 9 per serving
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided.
Do not screenshot content or post recipe or content in full. All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
Nutritional information, syn values, points etc are an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate by the ingredients you use.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Santoku Knife-MAD SHARK Pro Kitchen Knife 7 Inch Santoku Knife,Best Quality German High Carbon Stainless Steel Knife with Ergonomic Handle,Ultra Sharp,Best Choice for Home Kitchen and Restaurant
ProCook Professional Anodised Non-Stick Saute Pan with Lid | 28cm | 4.2L | Induction Pan with Toughened Glass Lid and Contoured Heat-Resistant Cooltouch Handles
TOMORAL Measuring Cups and Spoons
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1 serving
Amount Per Serving Calories 301Total Fat 6.5gSaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 38mgSodium 1028mgCarbohydrates 40.8gFiber 2.7gSugar 5.3gProtein 23.2g