Low Syn Creamy Chicken and Tomatoes - perfect with a variety of sides and a dish that will be loved by the whole family.
Lunch time and nothing prepared, that happens often in my house, which is when I can happily say thank goodness for leftovers. Sadly my fridge however had other intentions, not a dish of leftovers in site. Which is actually pretty rare to be honest.
I was pretty hungry, so wanted something I could put together quickly. The only protein I had on hand was some chicken thighs and fancying a creamy type sauce I decided on a quick pasta dish.
Anytime the word creamy is mentioned, you kind of assume it is off bounds on Slimming World, but it really isn't you can easily create low synned versions with a few swaps. I like to use low fat cream cheese, mixed with a little stock, it makes a beautiful creamy silky sauce that is perfect for this dish.
I also use fresh tomatoes where ever I can. Seriously if you must use canned then by all means do, but it won't compare to fresh tomatoes, which have a lovely natural sweetness in this dish. Canned tomatoes often are slightly acidic and so you need a little sweetener of similar to remove that. Once you start using fresh tomatoes, especially in dishes like this Creamy Chicken and Tomatoes, you won't want to use anything else.
I have this handy little Kuhn Rikon Serrated Peeler for my tomatoes, saves me having to blanch them to remove the skin. It's kind of like a normal veggie peeler, but has a serrated blade which grips the skin and peels effortlessly. Perfect for softer vegetables or fruit when you want to remove the skin.
Once the Creamy Chicken and Tomatoes was ready, I just stirred in some cooked pasta for a delicious meal, served with a mixed salad of romaine lettuce, cucumbers and shredded carrot.
But this would be perfect served with any sides - such as Syn Free Chips, or Syn Free Garlic and Herb Roast Potatoes or even rice with some vegetables of choice. For an SP day it is great with this Roasted Cauliflower Rice or some spiralled vegetables for if you can get it - spaghetti squash. I know it is hard to get in the UK unless in season, fortunately it is available all year round in Canada. Spaghetti Squash is one of my favourite vegetables for SP days, I cut in slices, scoop away the seeds and bake in the oven, then once cooked you just pull all the strands with a fork and it looks just like spaghetti - hence it's name of course.
If you want to top this Creamy Chicken and Tomatoes with a little grated parmesan from your HEa, then feel free to do so, I like it just as it is. I choose not to use my HEa toward the cream cheese, as it's a small amount, and so syncing it, means I have my HEa free to use elsewhere in the day, usually for milk in my many cups of tea or coffee.
This is a great dish for the whole family - the kids will love the creaminess of the sauce. My kids especially love this with the pasta. You can't go wrong with a yummy pasta dish.
Looking for more creamy sauce recipes? Check out these:
- One Pot Creamy Zucchini Pasta
- Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Pasta
- Vegetarian Meatballs in Creamy Tomato Sauce
- Creamy Garlic Pasta
- Creamy Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese
- Chicken with Creamy Mushroom Sauce
- Creamy Honey Mustard Chicken
- Steak with Creamy Mushroom Peppercorn Sauce
- Pork Schnitzel with Creamy Parsley Sauce
- Creamy Vegetable Pasta Bake
- Creamy Tomato Pasta Sauce
or check out my FULL RECIPE INDEX for over 500+ delicious Slimming World recipes
- 3 chicken thighs, sliced thinly in strips
- 1 onion, halved and sliced
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 4 tbs of low fat cream cheese or coconut milk (4 syns)
- 2 vine tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
- ½ cup (120ml) of chicken stock
- pinch paprika
- salt and black pepper
- spray oil
- small handful of fresh chopped Italian parsley
- Spray a frying pan over a medium high heat with some spray oil, add the onion and fry for a few mins to soften.
- Add the chicken and garlic and fry till lightly golden.
- Stir in the tomato paste, pinch of paprika and tomatoes, reduce heat and cook for a couple of mins till the tomatoes start to break down.
- Add the stock, cream cheese and chopped fresh Italian parsley and stir until the cream cheese melts
- Simmer until the sauce thickens and is nice and creamy.
- Serve with your choice of sides.
- I stirred through some cooked pasta, but it goes well with a various different sides
Low Fat Cream Cheese can vary in syns, so adjust syns accordingly
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only.
Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. Also double check syn values of sinned ingredients as different brands can vary.
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full
Nutrition InformationYield 2 Serving Size 1 serving
Amount Per Serving Calories 212Total Fat 6gSaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 105mgSodium 647mgCarbohydrates 12.4gFiber 2.3gSugar 2.9gProtein 28.8g