Delicious Honey and Mustard Chicken Tray Bake - sticky sweet mustard chicken drumsticks with golden potatoes all baked on one tray for an easy family meal.
Chicken Drumsticks are a great choice for family meals. Usually, budget-friendly over more expensive cuts of meat, like boneless chicken breasts, they are also a great option for kids because of the grab and go portability of them.
Perfect for lunches, picnics and even barbecues with a salad in the Summer or as a tray bake and filling meal in the colder months.
How to Remove the Skin from Chicken Drumsticks
To keep these lean and a healthier option, I use skinless chicken drumsticks, which are impossible to buy at most grocery stores unless you have a very friendly butcher who will do it for you.
But don't let that put you off buying these, it is really easy to remove the skin and you will be a pro in no time.
I recommend some thick kitchen paper or a clean kitchen towel for this. You gently want to start removing the skin from the bulkier/meatier part of the drumsticks, until you can grip the skin with the kitchen paper or towel and then you can easily remove with one quick tug.
Can I use other cuts of chicken?
The short answer is yes, but I do not recommend using chicken breasts.
Chicken thighs are a much better option, they stay much more tender and won't overcook before the glaze starts to go golden and coat the chicken pieces.
Types of Mustard
There are various different types of mustard out there. The most common generally being basic yellow mustard or dijon mustard.
For this Honey and Mustard recipe, you definitely don't want to use regular yellow mustard. Instead, opt for wholegrain mustard, so you get the lovely colour of the mustard seeds in the glaze.
More Chicken Drumstick Recipes
- LOW SYN CHICKEN DRUMSTICKS IN A PEANUT SAUCE
- YUMMY PAPRIKA BALSAMIC CHICKEN DRUMSTICKS
- HONEY AND GARLIC CHICKEN DRUMSTICKS
- CHINESE FIVE SPICE CHICKEN
- LOW SYN SWEET CHILLI CHICKEN
or head on over to my Full Recipe Index with over 900 delicious Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly recipes all fully searchable by meal type, ingredients, syn value and smart points etc
Sides for Honey and Mustard Chicken Tray Bake?
This pairs up well a variety of different sides, including salad. It's also a great dish to serve with a selection of vegetables you might have left to use up your fridge or pantry, which was the case for me tonight.
I add some broccoli, carrots and cauliflower to a dish, seasoned well and sprayed over the top with avocado spray oil, baking until the veg just started to brown on the edges. A lovely simple roasted veggie dish that paired perfectly with the chicken and potatoes.
You can also subscribe to Slimming Eats so that you never miss any new updates.
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE, LET US KNOW! LEAVE A COMMENT, RATE IT AND TAG US IN YOUR PHOTOS @SLIMMINGEATS ON INSTAGRAM
See the handy Pinterest image below if you wish to pin this for later 🙂
- 8 chicken drumsticks (skin and any fat removed)
- 800g (28oz) of Yukon gold potatoes, chopped (or similar waxy potato)
- 3 tablespoons of honey
- 1 tablespoon of dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon of wholegrain mustard
- 60 ml (4 tbs) of water (or can use stock)
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- avocado spray oil
- Salt and black pepper to season
- Fresh chopped Parsley
- Preheat oven to 220c/fan 200c/425f/gas mark 7
- Place potatoes in a bowl, cover with water.
- Place a plate over the bowl and microwave for 5 minutes, drain fully and pat dry.
- Add to half of a large baking tray lined with parchment paper, spray over the top with avocado spray oil, sprinkle with sea salt.
- Add the chicken drumsticks to the other half. Season with salt and black pepper
- In a small bowl, mix together the honey, mustard, water and crushed garlic . Pour over chicken and bake in the oven for 40-45 mins until chicken is golden and cooked through and potatoes are golden and cooked. (The sauce will seem runny at first, but as it starts to cook it reduces down and will go stick and coat the chicken, when you baste at the halfway mark).
- Remove from oven at the halfway mark to brush the chicken with the honey mustard sauce.
- Serve topped with fresh chopped parsley and your choice of sides.
This recipe is gluten free, dairy free, Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly
- Slimming World - 3 Syns per serving
- WW Green Smart Points - 12 per serving
- WW Blue Smart Points - 12 per serving
- WW Purple Smart Points - 12 per serving
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided.
Do not screenshot content or post recipe or content in full. All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
Nutritional information, syn values, points etc are an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate by the ingredients you use.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
ZeZaZu Parchment Paper Sheets for Baking (100 Sheets), Precut 12 x 16 inches - Exact Fit for Half-Sheet Baking Pans, Unbleached, Dual-Sided Coating, Siliconized, Non-Stick, RECLOSABLE Pack
Baking Tray Set of 4, HaWare Stainless Steel Baking Sheet –Rimmed Pan Baking Sets -Healthy & Non Toxic, Easy Clean & Dishwasher Safe (Large Size)
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1 SERVING (2 drumsticks) with potatoes
Amount Per Serving Calories 445Total Fat 10.1gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 19gCholesterol 231mgSodium 476mgCarbohydrates 45.5gFiber 5.4gSugar 15gProtein 44.8g
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free and/or dairy-free, for example) or Vegetarian friendly. Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only
Looking for some additional support on your weight loss journey? Did you know Slimming Eats has a friendly Slimming World Facebook Support Group where you can get daily meal ideas and recipe ideas? Come and check us out, we’d love to have you join.
Looking for some other recipes? Head on over to my RECIPE INDEX for over 900 Slimming World & Weight Watchers recipes for you to browse through, all fully searchable by meal type, Ingredients, syn value and WW Smart Points etc
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full.