Moroccan Chicken Casserole - Delicious hearty and wholesome casserole with the lovely flavours of Moroccan inspired spices.
This Moroccan Chicken Casserole is a family favourite and packed with flavour. All cooked in one pan, don't you just love that kind of meals.
For casseroles, I prefer to use chicken thighs as I find the meat stays really moist and absorbs more of the flavour, than chicken breast.
If you prefer chicken breasts, you may want to reduce the cooking time to ensure it is not overcooked.
Cast Iron Cooking
I also love to use cast iron for these kinds of dishes. Cast iron is a great cooking vessel, as they can be used on the stove and transferred to the oven and I swear food tastes so much better.
Hey, have you ever cooked a steak in a regular pan and then cooked a steak in a cast-iron one. The difference is phenomenal. You just don't get the same kind of sear and flavour with a regular pan.
Chicken Breast versus Chicken Thigh
One question I get asked a lot is can I use chicken breast instead of thigh and while you can with many recipes, I don't recommend making the swap this recipe.
Chicken thighs just stay so much more tender and the juices from the darker meat add more depth and flavour to the casserole.
How to make a thicker Sauce
I like this casserole just as it is with a delicious flavoursome broth, so don't feel the need to thicken the sauce in this recipe.
However, if you like a thicker sauce? you can simply just add in a thickening starch like cornstarch, arrow root powder or tapioca starch. All work the same and have similar calories.
Just mix about a tablespoon with a little water to make a slurry, and then stir this into the casserole, you will need to continue to heat for it to thicken the sauce as takes approx 5-8 minutes to thicken the sauce. This can be done on the stove by gently bubbling.
Sides for Moroccan Chicken Casserole
This Moroccan Chicken Casserole is great served with various different sides, I went for some potatoes cooked in olive oil spray in the oven with a little turmeric and salt.
Some of the my other favourite sides to serve with this are:
- Roasted Butternut Squash Rice.
- Roasted Butternut Squash Cauliflower Rice
- Mashed Potatoes
- Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Garlic and Herb Potatoes
- Cauliflower Mash
More Chicken Recipes
Want some more chicken casserole recipes? check out all these delicious options:
- Smoked Paprika Chicken Casserole (Instant Pot, Slow Cooker or Stove Top)
- Chicken and Baked Bean Casserole (Stove Top, Slow Cooker and Instant Pot)
- Slow Cooked Chicken Casserole
- Mediterranean Chicken Casserole
- Slow Cooker Crack Chicken
or if you would like more recipe ideas - head on over to the FULL RECIPE INDEX where you will find over 900 delicious recipes and can search by ingredients, course, diet and more.
All with estimated calories and Slimming Eats and Weight Watcher Smart Points values.
Come and follow me on:
FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST
TWITTER, TIK TOK and YOUTUBE
You can also subscribe to Slimming Eats
so that you never miss any new updates.
Need some extra Support? Come and check out my Facebook Group
If you try this recipe, let us know!
Leave a Comment, Rate It and Tag us in your
Photos @SLIMMINGEATS on INSTAGRAM
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs, raw
- 1 onion, halved and finely sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon of freshly grated ginger
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 courgette (zucchini), halved lengthways and sliced
- juice and zest of 1 orange
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 300ml (1.25 cups) of chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons of ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons of ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon of chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- ½ teaspoon of turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon
- olive oil cooking spray
- fresh coriander to garnish
- Preheat oven to 180c, fan 160c, 350f or gas mark 4
- Spray an oven proof casserole dish with spray oil over a medium high heat, add the chicken, onion, garlic and ginger and fry until lightly browned.
- Add all the spices and mix to evenly coat.
- Add the carrots, honey, juice and zest of one orange and the chicken stock and bake in the oven for approx 1 hour until chicken is cooked through and tender (adding in the courgette for the last 20 minutes to keep nice and tender or you can add at same time if you prefer) .
- Season with salt and black pepper and garnish with fresh coriander.
- Serve with your choice of sides. Enjoy!
Please see below for full nutritional info and additional details about recipe:
- Calories - scroll down to nutritional info box
- WW Points and other Slimming or Weight Loss programs - due to plans regularly changing and updating, we recommend calculating with the official tools you get as a member to those plans to ensure accuracy of values.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided at top of this post.
DO NOT COPY AND/OR PASTE FULL RECIPES OR SCREENSHOTS OF ANY CONTENT FROM SLIMMING EATS TO ANY SOCIAL MEDIA OR WEBSITE, IT IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
ALL IMAGES AND CONTENT ON SLIMMING EATS ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED
Nutritional information etc are an estimate and are to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary in values from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate values yourself by the ingredients you use and the tools provided to you as a member of the programme you are following.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1 SERVING
Amount Per Serving Calories 285Total Fat 7.3gSaturated Fat 1.9gCholesterol 170.0mgSodium 495mgCarbohydrates 14.7gFiber 2.1gSugar 9.5gProtein 38g