Chicken Parmesan - tender breaded chicken cutlets on a delicious rich tomato sauce topped with melted cheesy goodness.
Whether you call this dish Chicken Parmigiana or Chicken Parmesan, the components are typically the same and it's a dish the whole family will love.
I mean whats not to love about golden breaded chicken and all that cheesy goodness with a beautiful delicious tomato sauce and fresh basil? It's a flavour explosion on the palate.
For this recipe we make our own breadcrumbs using 100% wholemeal bread, for a slightly healthier swap.
Making breadcrumbs is super easy. You just lightly toast the bread and then add the bread to a food processor and spin the blade a few times until you have golden fine breadcrumbs.
These can then be flavoured with spices and herbs to really create a delicious coating for chicken, fish etc.
Can I use ready made breadcrumbs?
If you want to use ready made breadcrumbs then you can definitely do that, but they won't be able to be used as your healthy extra B choice if you are following Slimming World.
I recommend using fine golden breadcrumbs though, panko breadcrumbs are not really suitable for this recipe.
It can be served in a variety of different ways, mainly with pasta, but even in sandwiches or with mashed potatoes. I personally love it with cooked pasta, but the choice is up to you.
How to Slice a Chicken Breast into Cutlets
It's really easy to slice a Chicken breast into cutlets, just place your chicken breast on a chopping board and then use a large sharp knife (I use my santoku knife) to slice horizontally so you have two thin equal sized cutlets. You can place you hand on the top of the breast to stop it from moving and to keep it in place.
Check out this handy post by Rachel Ray with step by step on How to slice a Chicken Breast into Cutlets.
What type of Cheese is best for Chicken Parmesan?
I typically stick to a combination of parmesan and mozzarella. Parmesan adds lots of flavour to the dish and the mozzarella is a perfect melting cheese.
While you can use a combination of different cheese if you prefer. I don't recommend using just mozzarella on it's own as the dish will lack the flavour that you get from the parmesan.
Homemade Rich Tomato Sauce
For the sauce, I use my recipe for this Pizza Sauce. It's a simple recipe that is really rich and full of flavour. The perfect recipe for this Chicken Parmesan.
If you are however in a rush, you can combine some Passata with tomato pasta (puree), garlic powder, onion powder, and then a good pinch of dried Italian herbs. You want enough sauce to cover the base of your dish to place the chicken cutlets in.
Sides for Chicken Parmesan
The most popular choice for a side for chicken parmesan has to be some cooked spaghetti. But if you are trying to reduce the calories slightly some healthier lighter options are to pair this with a salad or some sautéed or steamed greens of your choice. Some of my favourites are:
- Steamed or Baked Asparagus
- Grilled or Sautéed Zucchini/Courgette
- Sautéed Spinach
- Roasted Garlic Green Beans
- Spiralized Zucchini Courgette
All great options to pair with this delicious recipe.
More Chicken Breast Recipes
Looking for some other delicious recipes using chicken breast? Check out these:
- Grilled Chicken Breast Stuffed with Mozzarella
- Spicy Chicken Stuffed with Feta Cheese and Salsa
- Hunters Chicken (Chicken New Yorker)
- Creamy Crack Chicken Gnocchi
- Chicken and Sweetcorn Lasagne
- Easy Chicken Cordon Bleu Bake
- Creamy Cheesy Spinach Stuffed Chicken Tray Bake
- Golden Parmesan Crusted Chicken
or if you would like more recipe ideas - head on over to the FULL RECIPE INDEX where you will find over 900 delicious recipes and can search by ingredients, course, diet and more.
All with estimated calories and Slimming World and Weight Watchers Smart Points values.
Come and follow me on:
FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST
TWITTER, TIK TOK and YOUTUBE
You can also subscribe to Slimming Eats
so that you never miss any new updates.
Need some extra Support? Come and check out my Facebook Group
If you try this recipe, let us know!
Leave a Comment, Rate It and Tag us in your
Photos @SLIMMINGEATS on INSTAGRAM
- Homemade Pizza Sauce - click for recipe
- 2 large chicken breasts, sliced in half so you have 4 thinner breasts fillets.
- 120g (4oz) of low calorie whole wheat bread, lightly toasted and blitzed in a food processor - 2xHEb's
- 60g (2oz) of parmesan - 2xHEa's
- 90g (3oz) of mozzarella - 2xHEa's
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- salt and black pepper
- 2 medium eggs, beaten
- fresh basil
- olive oil spray
- Spread the sauce on the bottom of a large oven proof rectangle dish
- Preheat oven to 220c, fan 200c or 425f or gas mark 7
- Add the beaten eggs to a bowl
- Mix the homemade breadcrumbs with the parmesan, oregano and some salt and black pepper.
- Dip the chicken breasts into the egg and then into the breadcrumb mixture to coat evenly.
- Spray a frying pan over a medium high heat with olive oil spray and cook each side of the chicken until golden. Transfer chicken to the oven proof dish on top of the sauce. Top with the mozzarella cheese and sprinkle with fresh torn basil.
- Bake in the oven until cheese is melted and golden and chicken is cooked through (approx 20-30mins).
- Serve with your choice of sides.
- This recipe is Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly
Slimming World – 1 HEa and ½ HEb per serving
- WW Green Smart Points - 9 per serving
- WW Blue Smart Points - 6 per serving
- WW Purple Smart Point - 6 per serving
- Gluten Free - use gluten free breadcrumbs
SUITABLE FOR FREEZING
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided at top of this post.
DO NOT COPY AND/OR PASTE FULL RECIPES OR SCREENSHOTS OF ANY CONTENT FROM SLIMMING EATS TO ANY SOCIAL MEDIA OR WEBSITE, IT IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
ALL IMAGES AND CONTENT ON SLIMMING EATS ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED.
Nutritional information, syn values, points etc are an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate by the ingredients you use.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1 SERVING
Amount Per Serving Calories 360Total Fat 13gSaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 194.5mgSodium 871.9mgCarbohydrates 19gFiber 3gSugar 6gProtein 43g