Easy Chicken Cordon Bleu - tender chicken breasts, topped with ham, swiss cheese, healthier dijon creamy sauce and breadcrumbs.
Quick Easy Chicken Cordon Bleu
My kids love Chicken Cordon Bleu, but sometimes when you are rushed for time the traditional method can be a bit of a faff and when you have a family to cook for, easy recipes are important.
That's where this easy Chicken Cordon Bleu recipe comes in, instead of having to roll or stuff the chicken with the ham, swiss cheese and sauce, I just layer it all in a oven-proof dish as a bake.
Do I have to use Swiss Cheese in Cordon Bleu?
That's the traditional cheese you would normally use, but mozzarella works just as good if that is all you have and is more readily available than than the swiss cheese slices in some locations across the globe.
Lighter Creamy Dijon Sauce
Usually the ingredients for the sauce use things like butter, flour, milk, dijon mustard and parmesan. Some sauces adding other ingredients like mayonnaise etc.
But the majority of those ingredients, can be high in calories for a sauce, so instead I make my sauce using stock, light cream cheese and some starch, and a little parmesan, which works perfectly.
Coating for Chicken Cordon Bleu
I use regular breadcrumbs for the topping for the easy Chicken Cordon Bleu bake, Panko are great too, but there are other options you can choose.
Make you own healthy breadcrumbs using 100% whole wheat bread, which is lightly toasted or you can also try some crumbled up cornflakes.
If you are gluten free you can sub the breadcrumbs for some gluten free ones.
Can I use Quark instead of cream cheese?
No, definitely do not replace the cream cheese with quark, it won't yield the same creamy result and your sauce will split.
Making Easy Chicken Cordon Bleu Bake
When making the bake I like to lightly brown the chicken first with some seasoning, this seals all the flavour itn the chicken and prevent too much juices from releasing a diluting the sauce.
Then just top with the ham of your choice, then goes on the cheese, then I pour in the sauce and brush it all over the top before adding the bread crumbs.
Sides for Chicken Cordon Bleu
Wondering what to serve this with? Pretty much anything will pair well with this bake.
I like to go for some simple steamed vegetables for a balanced meal, a mixed salad is great too.
But if you prefer something more substantial, rice is a good choice or some of these Perfect Oven Baked Chips.
More Chicken Breast Recipes
Looking for some more chicken recipes? Check out these:
- GOLDEN PARMESAN CRUSTED CHICKEN
- QUINOA STUFFED CHICKEN BREAST WRAPPED IN PROSCIUTTO
- HUNTERS CHICKEN (CHICKEN NEW YORKER)
- HEALTHIER SLOW COOKER CRACK CHICKEN
- ASIAN SPRITE CHICKEN
- CREAMY HONEY MUSTARD CHICKEN
- TOMATO AND MOZZARELLA HASSELBACK CHICKEN
or head on over to the FULL RECIPE INDEX where you will find over 900 delicious Slimming Eats and Weight Watchers friendly recipes all fully searchable by meal type, ingredients, value and smart points etc
Come and follow me on:
FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST
TWITTER and YOUTUBE
You can also subscribe to Slimming Eats so that you never miss any new updates.
Need some extra Support? Come and check out my Facebook Group
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a Comment, Rate It and Tag us in your Photos @SLIMMINGEATS on INSTAGRAM
- 4 uncooked skinless boneless chicken breasts (approx 180g/6oz per chicken breast)
- salt and black pepper
- 6 slices of lean ham
- 100g (3.5oz) of swiss cheese (4 slices at 25g/1oz each)
- 300ml (1.25 cups) of chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon of dijon mustard
- 100g (3.5oz) of light cream cheese (like Philadelphia)
- 20g (0.7oz) of parmesan
- 30g (1.1oz) of golden breadcrumbs
- olive oil spray
- fresh parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven to 200c/fan 180c/400g or gas mark 6
- Place the chicken breasts between parchment paper and use a rolling to bash/flatten.
- Season the chicken with salt and black pepper, then heat a frying pan over a medium high heat with spray oil. Add the chicken and fry for a few minutes each side until lightly golden.
- Transfer these to a baking dish in a single layer and top the chicken slices with the lean ham and then the slices of swiss cheese.
- In the pan that you browned the chicken, add the stock, cream cheese and dijon mustard, stir until the cream cheese melts and then stir in the parmesan, simmer until it thickens into a creamy sauce.
- Once thickened, taste and adjust seasoning with salt and black pepper if needed.
- Pour this over the chicken and ham and spread evenly with a spatula.
- Add the breadcrumbs to the top of each chicken breast and spray over the top with olive oil spray
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until chicken is cooked through and topping is nice and golden. Sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Serve with your choice of sides and enjoy!!
Please see below for full nutritional info and additional details about recipe:
- Calories - scroll down to nutritional info box
- WW Points and other Slimming or Weight Loss programs - due to plans regularly changing and updating, we recommend calculating with the official tools you get as a member to those plans to ensure accuracy of values.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided at top of this post.
DO NOT COPY AND/OR PASTE FULL RECIPES OR SCREENSHOTS OF ANY CONTENT FROM SLIMMING EATS TO ANY SOCIAL MEDIA OR WEBSITE, IT IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
ALL IMAGES AND CONTENT ON SLIMMING EATS ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED
Nutritional information etc are an estimate and are to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary in values from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate values yourself by the ingredients you use and the tools provided to you as a member of the programme you are following.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1 SERVING
Amount Per Serving Calories 424Total Fat 17.4gSaturated Fat 9gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 12gCholesterol 44.7mgSodium 921mgCarbohydrates 10gFiber 0.4gSugar 1.8gProtein 57.8g
Nutritional information, values, points etc are an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate by the ingredients you use.