Creamy Honey Mustard Chicken - tender chunks of chicken breast in a heavenly creamy honey and mustard sauce.
Creamy Honey Mustard Sauce
When I was younger and before I ever used to cook for myself from scratch one of my favorite sauces was Honey and Mustard - Chicken Tonight in a Jar. I have no idea if you can still get it, but oh how I loved that stuff.
You could get various different ones and they were hugely popular at the time. I even remember the song from the adverts. Oh how sad is that? Yep I am singing it in my head right now.
Several years later I oddly had a craving for it, so decided to have a go at a homemade version. This was pretty authentic to how I remembered it. The creamy sauce with the tender pieces of chicken is delicious.
Types of Mustard for Sauces
Is it important to use the correct mustard? Yes!! definitely, while you can just use one brand of mustard or even mustard powder if that's how you roll. You just will not get the same result with the sauce.
Just look at those beautiful flecks of mustard seeds you get from the wholegrain mustard? It's worth it. Like they say we eat with our eyes and I truly do believe you enjoy your food more if it looks nice too.
Can I use Quark for the sauce?
I don't recommend using quark. Quark is a sour tasting soft cheese, it's not creamy. Use cream cheese like Philadelphia for this yummy Honey Mustard Sauce (store brand versions are fine too).
Why can't you use quark? As mentioned it's not creamy tasting and unlike cream cheese it tends to split when heated. You can add it to sauces, but it has to be added right at the end and off the heat, if your pan is too hot it will split.
Plus the cream cheese really isn't that high calories wise when divided into portions.
Using other cuts of chicken in place of Chicken Breast
If you want to use boneless skinless chicken thighs, those are perfectly fine in this recipe. They do add more calories to the dish, as chicken breast is very lean. But I have also made this before with Chicken thighs and it's equally delicious.
As with anything just ensure the chicken thighs are cooked through, as they do take slightly longer to cook.
Sides for Creamy Honey and Mustard Chicken
Wondering what to serve this with? I like to go for some long grain rice and a simple vegetable side.
The vegetable side being two large zucchini (courgettes) which I slice into quarters and then chop, and just saute in a little spray oil with some sea salt, garlic and black pepper. Yummy.
Don't fancy zucchini (courgette) - pretty much any vegetables pair well with this, any type of greens are great:
- Green Beans
are just a few ideas and if you don't fancy rice. How about some of these:
More Chicken Recipes
Looking for more chicken recipes? Check out these:
- HEALTHIER SLOW COOKER CRACK CHICKEN
- SWEET AND STICKY CHICKEN
- CHICKEN DUPIAZA WITH PILAU RICE
- CHICKEN AND ASPARAGUS NO PASTRY PIE
- HOISIN CHICKEN (ACTIFRY OR STOVE TOP)
- COCONUT CHICKEN AND LENTIL CURRY
or head on over to my Full Recipe Index with over 900 delicious Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly recipes all fully searchable by meal type, ingredients, syn value and smart points etc
Find me ON
come and follow me TO MAKE SURE YOU KEEP UP TO DATE ON ALL NEW RECIPES.
- 600g (21oz) of uncooked boneless skinless chicken breast, diced into cubes
- 250g (9oz) of carrots, sliced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 teaspoons of wholegrain dijon mustard
- 1 to 2 teaspoons of yellow American mustard
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 180g (6.3oz) of low fat cream cheese (not quark)
- 360ml (1.5 cups) of chicken stock (hot)
- fresh parsley, chopped
- salt and black pepper
- cooking oil spray (I used avocado)
- Add the sliced carrots to a steamer pan above boiling hot water, and steam until slightly tender, drain and add to a bowl of cold water to prevent them from cooking any further.
- Spray a frying pan with spray oil and brown the onion and the chicken until lightly golden.
- In a jug whisk together the stock, cream cheese, honey and mustard until all combined
- Pour this into the frying pan and slowly bring to a boil, reduce heat, add carrots and simmer covered for about 15 mins, the sauce should slightly thicken, if it gets too thick, you can stir in a little more stock.
- Taste and season with salt and black pepper and sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley.
- Serve with your choice of sides. I served this with steamed rice and sauteed zucchini (courgette). For an SP or original day you could serve with cauli rice.
This recipe is gluten free, Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly
- Slimming World - 3.5 syns per serving
- WW Green Smart Points - 6 per serving
- WW Blue Smart Points - 4 per serving
- WW Purple Smart Points - 4 per serving
- Gluten Free - use gluten free stock
Different brands of cream cheese can vary in values, so always recalculate by the one you use.
SUITABLE FOR FREEZING (may need to add a little stock upon reheating to loosen sauce)
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided.
DO NOT COPY AND/OR PASTE FULL RECIPES OR SCREENSHOTS OF ANY CONTENT FROM SLIMMING EATS TO ANY SOCIAL MEDIA, IT IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
ALL IMAGES AND CONTENT ON SLIMMING EATS ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED.
Nutritional information, syn values, points etc are an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate by the ingredients you use.It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Salter Digital Kitchen Weighing Scales
TOMORAL Measuring Cups and Spoons
Santoku Knife-MAD SHARK Pro Kitchen Knife 7 Inch Santoku Knife,Best Quality German High Carbon Stainless Steel Knife with Ergonomic Handle,Ultra Sharp,Best Choice for Home Kitchen and Restaurant
Le Creuset Signature Cast Iron Shallow Casserole, 26 cm - Teal
Nutrition InformationServing Size 1 SERVING
Amount Per Serving Calories 285Total Fat 6gSaturated Fat 3.1gCholesterol 2.7mgSodium 624mgCarbohydrates 16.9gFiber 2.5gSugar 12.3gProtein 39g