Delicious Korean Ground Pork - super easy to make and packed with flavour. Perfect with a simple side or make it a bowl with a variety of yummy components.
I can't get enough of Korean inspired food lately, I just love the flavours. The most simple of ingredients can be turned into a delicious dish with some typical ingredients like Korean Gochuang paste, soy sauce, ginger and garlic.
I enjoy trying different cuisines and experimenting with ingredients and food like this is definitely one of my favourites.
Sourcing Ingredients for different Cuisines
For most cuisines, the majority of ingredients are staples with all have in our pantry cupboard or fridge, but occasionally their may be a unique ingredient to source for the authentic flavour.
Some larger grocery stores may have an International Aisle, so you may be lucky enough to find some ingredients there.
Also Look for specialist markets in your area - most major cities will have an Asian grocery store or market and you will find most of the typical ingredients there.
The next best option is online. Amazon is great for sourcing those hard to find ingredients but there are also smaller websites too for ingredients.
I am really lucky to have a huge indoor World Market near me, they have aisle and aisles of products from all over world, so if I need a specific ingredients, that is the place I go.
What is Gochujang Paste?
This is the ingredient in this recipe that you may find hard to source and so you may be wondering what actually is Gochujang Paste?
Gochujang Paste is a pretty important ingredient in Korean Cooking. It is a thick and spicy red paste usually made from fermented soybean, chili powder, glutinous rice, malt powder, and salt. It adds a great umami taste to recipes and is well worth sourcing if you can.
Substitutes for Gochujang Paste
There isn't really a like for like replacement for these delicious paste. But if you have searched high and low and can't find it anywhere but really want to use this recipe, then my suggestion would be a mixture of tomato paste (puree) and some sriracha.
How much you want to use will depend on your spice level. I like 2 tablespoons of the paste, but for kids who can't handle too much heat, you may want to just go for one.
So i would use a mix of equal amounts of tomato paste and sriracha.
Can I use another meat in this recipe?
Any ground meat will work in this - pork, chicken, turkey or beef. I wouldn't recommend lamb as it's too strong a taste and will overpower the other ingredients.
You can also use some pork or chicken pieces if you prefer. But depending on how much you use you may need to adjust the sauce ingredients.
Sides for Korean Ground Pork
This is where you can get really adventurous and turn this simple recipe into a delicious bowl with lots of yummy components.
My favourites are as follows:
- White Rice (I love the Kokuho Rose brand)
- Carrot Stick
- Spicy Garlic Napa Cabbage (click for recipe)
- Pickled Daikon Radish (the bright yellow item in my bowl) - this is a popular Korean item. Look for it at Asian grocers that specialize in Korean foods. You can also make your own if you can source some daikon radish.
- Kimchi - this is another great item to serve with this. I didn't have any on this occasion as I had cooked the garlic napa cabbage instead.
- Nori Seaweed - crumble a few small sheets and sprinkle onto your rice for some added flavour. Yummy!!
Wondering how you cook perfect Jasmine Rice?
Simply just rinse 1 cup of jasmine rice, then add to a pan with 2 cups of water, bring to a boil,and when water is just about absorbed, turn off heat, add lid and leave for 10 minutes (do not stir or touch until then) - the result is perfect fluffy rice every time.
More Asian Recipes
Love Asian food? Check out these other recipes:
- Bulgogi Beef
- Asian Beef Bowl
- Chilli Beef Noodles
- Malaysian Butternut Squash Curry
- Singapore Chicken Noodles
- Satay Chicken
- Chinese Chicken Curry
or if you would like more recipe ideas - head on over to the FULL RECIPE INDEX where you will find over 900 delicious recipes and can search by ingredients, course, diet and more.
All with estimated calories, Slimming World and Weight Watchers Smart Points values.
Come and follow me on:
FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST
TWITTER, TIK TOK and YOUTUBE
You can also subscribe to Slimming Eats
so that you never miss any new updates.
Need some extra Support? Come and check out my Facebook Group
If you try this recipe, let us know!
Leave a Comment, Rate It and Tag us in your
Photos @SLIMMINGEATS on INSTAGRAM
- 455g (1lb) of extra lean ground pork (can also use chicken, turkey or beef)
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon of grated ginger root
- 2 tablespoon of Gochujang Paste (use 1 if you don't like food too spicy)
- 2 tablespoon of soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons of maple syrup or honey
- ¼ cup of water
- 1 teaspoon of toasted sesame oil
- pinch of sesame seeds
- 2 green onions (spring onions) sliced
- Spray oil
- Add the ground pork to a frying pan over a medium high heat and cook until browned, breaking up any large clumps as it cooks. Remove and set aside.
- Spray the pan with cooking oil spray, add the onion and fry until lightly golden and softened.
- Add in the garlic and ginger and fry for a further minute.
- Add back in the ground pork, along with the Gochujang paste, soy sauce, maple syrup and sesame oil and water and cook until it reduces down and coats all the ground pork and starts to caramelize on the edges.
- Sprinkle with a pinch of toasted sesame seeds and chopped green onions
- Serve with your favourite sides.
This recipe is Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly
- Slimming World - 2.5 syns per serving
- WW Personal Points - 6 per serving (add ingredients to your WW diary for points value (as this may vary depending on your personal points zero foods)
- Gluten Free - use gluten free soy sauce and Gochujang Paste
SUITABLE FOR FREEZING
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided at top of this post.
DO NOT COPY AND/OR PASTE FULL RECIPES OR SCREENSHOTS OF ANY CONTENT FROM SLIMMING EATS TO ANY SOCIAL MEDIA OR WEBSITE, IT IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
ALL IMAGES AND CONTENT ON SLIMMING EATS ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED.
Nutritional information, Slimming World syn values and WW points etc are an estimate and are to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate values yourself by the ingredients you use and the tools provided to you as a member of the programme you are following.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1 SERVING
Amount Per Serving Calories 243Total Fat 8gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gCholesterol 17mgSodium 641mgCarbohydrates 16gFiber 2gSugar 11gProtein 26g
Nutritional information, syn values, points etc are an estimate and are to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate by the ingredients you use.