Cheesy Sausage Salsa Tray Bake - a delicious and simple tray bake with butterflied sausages, peppers, onion, tangy salsa all finished off with some delicious melted cheddar for a perfect healthy family meal.
Sausage Tray Bake
Tray bakes are back!! I am not sure what it is about this time of year, but it's always when I tend to come up with more tray bakes than usual. I think because the weather is getting warmer, I just want a simple dish I can put in the oven that doesn't involve standing over a hot stove and this one is as simple as they come.
Plus it's a great recipe for the whole family too - sausage and melted cheesy goodness, what is not to like?
Low Calorie Sausages
You will notice I just mention to use a low calorie sausage for this recipe rather than mention any brands of sausages. I recommend to go for one that you use often that you know you like.
I am in Canada so the sausages I use won't be available in other countries. These ones are just a plain turkey sausage, but they are a decent size and taste good so are perfect for this tray bake.
Of course you don't have to use a low calorie sausage, if you prefer you can use regular sausages of your choice.
Best Kind of Salsa
Yes I could make my own and I have done plenty of times, but for the purpose of making this dinner nice and quick with no faff I just went for a store bought jarred variety.
I prefer to use mild and chunky as the kids don't like it too spicy, and it was important this meal served the whole family. The one I used also had no sugar added so was pretty low in calories.
You can use whatever one you prefer, if you are cooking this just for adults and like really spicy food then go for a spicy variety.
Another great option is something like mango or pineapple salsa (which also can be store bought in a jar), its a great combo with the sausages if you can get this and perfect summer food.
Vegetables for Tray Bakes
For this sausage tray bake I used just sweet vidalia onion and mixed peppers, which is a perfect accompaniment to the tomatoes of the salsa and the cheesy topped sausages.
But you really can vary this up if you want and add some different vegetables, so long as you take into account that some veggies may cook quicker or take longer.
Some other great options, would be:
- Courgette (Zucchini), sliced
- Fresh cherry/grape tomatoes, halved or whole
- Green Beans
- Butternut Squash
Best Melting Cheese for Tray Bakes
For this tray bake I use Canadian cheddar which tends to have annatto added for that more orange colour like Red Leicester/Double Gloucester.
You can use any cheese that is good for melting - cheddar, Red Leicester, or if you prefer a milder tasting cheese you can go for a mozzarella too.
Sides for Sausage Tray Bake
Wondering what sides to serve with the tray bake? There are so many great things that will go with this. You could just go for some additional vegetables or choose from something like the following:
- Plain Rice
- Lime Cilantro Rice
- Red Pepper Coriander Rice
- Sweet Potato Mash
- Homemade Oven Chips
- Homemade Sweet Potato Fries
- Garlic and Herb Wedges
- Crushed Roast Potatoes
for a lower carb choice these are great options:
- Roasted Cauliflower Rice
- Roasted Butternut Squash Cauliflower Rice
- Cauliflower and Zucchini Rice
- Sour Cream and Spring Onion Cauliflower Mash
More Sausage Recipes
Looking for some other yummy recipes using Sausages? Check out these:
- Hearty Sausage Casserole
- Sausage and Tomato Pasta
- Orecchiette with Smoked Turkey Sausage
- One Pot Sausage and Lentil Casserole
- Sausage, Tomato and Spinach Pasta
- Sausage, Balsamic Tomatoes and Onion with Orecchiette
- Sausage and Bean Pasta Bake
- Lighter Toad in the Hole
or if you would like more recipe ideas - head on over to the FULL RECIPE INDEX where you will find over 900 delicious recipes and can search by ingredients, course, diet and more.
All with estimated calories and Slimming Eats and Weight Watcher Smart Points values.
Come and follow me on:
FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST
TWITTER, TIK TOK and YOUTUBE
You can also subscribe to Slimming Eats
so that you never miss any new updates.
Need some extra Support? Come and check out my Facebook Group
If you try this recipe, let us know!
Leave a Comment, Rate It and Tag us in your
Photos @SLIMMINGEATS on INSTAGRAM
- 6 large low calorie sausages of choice (approx 90g per sausage) -
- 2 teaspoons of paprika
- ½ teaspoon of smoked paprika
- salt and black pepper
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 yellow pepper, sliced
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 12 tablespoon of mild salsa (can use another type if you prefer)
- 180g of cheddar
- olive oil spray
- Preheat oven to 200c, fan 180c, 400f or gas mark 6
- Line a large baking tray with parchment paper.
- Butterfly the sausages (you will need to cut some of the skin when butterflied to prevent curling)
- Scatter the peppers and onion in between the sausages.
- Season the top of the sausages with the paprika and smoked paprika and season with salt and black pepper.
- Spray over top with spray oil
- Place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven, spoon the salsa randomly in between the peppers and sausages and top each butterflied sausage with grated cheddar.
- Place back in the oven and baked for an additional 15 minutes, cheese should be all golden and melted.
- I finish off by sprinkling with fresh chopped parsley or cilantro (coriander) - but this is optional
- Serve with your choice of sides and enjoy!!
Please see below for full nutritional info and additional details about recipe:
- Calories - scroll down to nutritional info box
- WW Points and other Slimming or Weight Loss programs - due to plans regularly changing and updating, we recommend calculating with the official tools you get as a member to those plans to ensure accuracy of values.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided at top of this post.
DO NOT COPY AND/OR PASTE FULL RECIPES OR SCREENSHOTS OF ANY CONTENT FROM SLIMMING EATS TO ANY SOCIAL MEDIA OR WEBSITE, IT IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
ALL IMAGES AND CONTENT ON SLIMMING EATS ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED
Nutritional information etc are an estimate and are to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary in values from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate values yourself by the ingredients you use and the tools provided to you as a member of the programme you are following.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
OXO Good Grips Box Grater
TOMORAL Measuring Cups and Spoons
Wüsthof CLASSIC Santoku Knife
ZeZaZu Parchment Paper Sheets for Baking (100 Sheets), Precut 12 x 16 inches - Exact Fit for Half-Sheet Baking Pans, Unbleached, Dual-Sided Coating, Siliconized, Non-Stick, RECLOSABLE Pack
Baking Tray Set of 4, HaWare Stainless Steel Baking Sheet –Rimmed Pan Baking Sets -Healthy & Non Toxic, Easy Clean & Dishwasher Safe (Large Size)
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1 SERVING
Amount Per Serving Calories 295Total Fat 19.2gSaturated Fat 9.4gTrans Fat 0gCholesterol 188mgSodium 995mgCarbohydrates 10gFiber 2gSugar 4gProtein 21.8g
Nutritional information, values, points etc are an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate by the ingredients you use.