Start your morning with this healthy protein breakfast - delicious Baked Egg with Spinach and Tomatoes
This recipe is great for getting vegetables into your breakfast. It's filling and really delicious. I like to serve with some Canadian Peameal Bacon, but regular back bacon is fine too. I also often have a side of fruity speed berries because you can never have enough vegetables, right?
Don't just keep this baked egg with spinach and tomatoes just for breakfast, it would also make a great lunch with a salad or you could ever serve it for dinner with some of these Perfect Chips.
It is perfectly acceptable to dunk some yummy chips in the yolk of an egg. Actually, it's like one of the best things ever.
and what if you fancy that toast after all? Well, that is perfectly fine too. But sometimes we just want that burger night in the evening and it's nice to have the option of a delicious breakfast that doesn't need to use up any of your healthy choices.
It means you can enjoy this Big Mac and Fries Fakeaway - That is totally worth saving your healthy choice for.
Wait!! don't go getting distracted by the amazing burger in that link above, you still need to make this Baked Egg with Spinach and Tomatoes first, because now you really do want to save your healthy choice for later, right?
Want some more delicious breakfast that doesn't use any of your extras? Check out these:
- Hash Browns
- Make-Ahead Breakfast Bites
- Ham and Hashbrown Frittata
- Bacon, Kale and Sweet Potato Frittata
- Apple and Red Onion Sausage Square
- Breakfast Hash
- Breakfast Layered Crustless Quiche
- Breakfast Omelette Pizza
- Breakfast Towers
and if that’s not enough to choose from, don’t forget my FULL RECIPE INDEX with over 700+ delicious Slimming Eats Recipes.
I like to use fresh tomatoes in this Baked Egg with Spinach and Tomatoes, you can't beat the taste of fresh tomatoes, with their natural sweetness, but if canned is all you have, those are totally fine too.
I do prefer to use fresh spinach, frozen can become a little wet, if you are using spinach, I recommend defrosting and draining any excess water.
Don't fancy bacon? This would be perfect with some low fat or fat free sausages. If you fancy making your own, try these delicious Pork Sausage Breakfast Patties. If you are vegetarian, you can skip the bacon or serve with a veggie sausage or choice. I hear the Linda McCartney Red Onion and Rosemary ones are amazing and good too.
WHAT KITCHEN ITEMS DO I NEED TO MAKE THIS BAKED EGG WITH SPINACH AND TOMATOES?
- Measuring Spoons
- Measuring Jug
- Chopping Board
- Santoku Knife (perfect knife for chopping veg)
- Wooden Spoon
- Deep Frying Pan
- Mini Round Oven Dish
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 5 vine tomatoes, peeled, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 tsp of tomato paste
- 1 clove of garlic crushed
- 4 handfuls of baby spinach
- splash of balsamic vinegar
- chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 eggs
- spray oil
- salt and black pepper
- Preheat oven to 190c or 375f (gas mark 5)
- Spray a frying pan over a medium heat with some spray oil, Add the onion and fry golden.
- Add the garlic and tomatoes and cook till the tomatoes start to break down.
- Add the splash of balsamic vinegar, tomato paste and a little stock (just enough to make saucy)
- Bring to a boil and simmer, until it all thickens into a sauce.
- Stir in the spinach till wilted.
- Divide the tomato and spinach mixture between two ramekin
- Make a well in the centre and crack in an egg into each ramekins.
- Place the ramekin's onto a baking tray and bake in the oven till egg is cooked to These took approx 15 mins for a soft yolk.
- Season with salt and black pepper.
- I served with some peameal bacon to free up my extra's, but these are great served with some toasted wholewheat bread .
Please see below for full nutritional info and additional details about recipe:
- Calories - scroll down to nutritional info box
- WW Points and other Slimming or Weight Loss programs - due to plans regularly changing and updating, we recommend calculating with the official tools you get as a member to those plans to ensure accuracy of values.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided at top of this post.
DO NOT COPY AND/OR PASTE FULL RECIPES OR SCREENSHOTS OF ANY CONTENT FROM SLIMMING EATS TO ANY SOCIAL MEDIA OR WEBSITE, IT IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
ALL IMAGES AND CONTENT ON SLIMMING EATS ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED
Nutritional information etc are an estimate and are to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary in values from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate values yourself by the ingredients you use and the tools provided to you as a member of the programme you are following.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
Nutrition InformationYield 2 Serving Size 1 serving
Amount Per Serving Calories 124Total Fat 5.3gSaturated Fat 1.7gCholesterol 186mgSodium 145mgCarbohydrates 10.7gFiber 2.7gSugar 2gProtein 9.6g