No breakfast is complete without Crispy Golden Hash Browns and these are syn free and delicious!!
When you say "hash brown" they can be different depending on who you are asking. Here on this side of the Atlantic whenever I have had hash browns, they tend to be just lightly fried grated pieces of potato, often most of it white, not golden and not very crispy.
Being from the UK, when I think of a hash brown, I think of a nicely shaped crispy delicious piece of golden grated potato. The kind you can pick up with your hands and dunk in your egg. So, of course, soft egg yolk is always a must.
I love my eggs sunny side up, but if you like you eggs soft at the yolk but firm on the top - the method for How to Cook a Perfect Fried Egg is just for you.
Now you have that mastered, all that is left to do is make the Crispy Golden Hash Browns.
To get the nice round shape to the Crispy Golden Hash Browns. I use some egg rings which I got off Amazon. They are perfect for forming the grated potato, as you can push it down into the rings, remove and repeat until you have several hash browns, all ready to go in the oven.
They don't need to be perfectly round or perfectly any shape for that matter, but the egg rounds ensure you can pack all the grated potato together firmly.
Spray Oil - which one is best?
When it comes to spray oils I always choose one that is free from propellants and additives. Personally, I feel a spray oil should not need all these other ingredients and the only ingredients you should see is oil. Hunt around for one you like and are happy with and that of course is syn free. I mostly use an Avocado Spray oil that I get from Costco or use Bertolli Olive Oil Spray.
My Crispy Golden Hash Browns, are so easy to make, they are literally just potato, salt and onion powder. That's it!!
These are of course gluten free and dairy free, so perfect for anyone with intolerances to those items. These would also be okay for Whole30 or paleo if you eat white potatoes.
If you are looking for some other hash brown recipes for variation, Check out these:
- Syn Free Spiralled Sweet Potato Hash
- Carrot, Parsnip and Potato Hash
- Cheesy Sausage Egg and Hashbrown Casserole
- Ham and Hashbrown Frittata
- Breakfast Hash Brown Pizza
- American Sheet Pan Hash Browns
- Hash Brown Waffle Pizza
- Cheese and Ham Stuffed Hashbrown Waffles
- Corned Beef Hash
- All Day Breakfast Tray Bake
- Broccoli Cheese Hash Brown Muffins
or head on over to my FULL RECIPE INDEX with over 850 delicious Slimming World and Weight Watchers Recipes to browse through, all fully searchable by meal type, ingredient, syn value and WW Smart Points etc
How can I add a ⅓ speed foods to these Crispy Golden Hash Browns?
Remember speed foods are not compulsory so the odd meal without is fine, but you should always try and balance out your day elsewhere with plenty of healthy fruits and vegetables.
Occasionally I like to just have these as they are with eggs and little ketchup, hey girls gotta have what a girl wants sometimes. But these hash browns also pair up well with some of these:
- Balsamic Tomatoes and Spinach
- Creamy Garlic Mushrooms
- Garlic Sauteed Mushrooms
- Omelette with Sriracha Mushrooms
Kitchen Items used for these Crispy Golden Hash Browns:
- Kitchen Scales
- egg rings
- Measuring Spoons
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Chopping Board
- Santoku Knife
- Large Saucepan
- Baking Tray
- Parchment Paper
- 900g (32oz) of raw potato, floury variety (I use russet potatoes)
- 1 tsp of fine sea salt
- ½ tsp of onion powder
- Avocado Spray Oil (or another spray oil of your choice)
- optional: 2 spring onions, chopped to garnish
- Preheat oven to 230c/450f (gas mark 8)
- Peel potatoes
- Place in a saucepan, cover with water
- Parboil Potatoes for 5 mins, just cover potatoes with water, bring to a bubbling boil, then turn off heat and leave it water for 5 mins.
- Remove and Run under cold water
- Grate the potatoes in a bowl
- Place in a clean kitchen towel (not kitchen paper) and pat to remove any excess moisture.
- Place back in the bowl, add salt and onion powder and mix to combine.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper
- Add egg rings to the tray, spray into the egg ring with spray oil and spoon in some of the potato mixture. Flattening down as you do.
- Repeat 7 more times, so that you have 8 hash brown rounds.
- Spray over the top with spray oil.
- Place in the oven and bake for approx 20 mins, remove carefully flip over, spray again and place back in the oven for another 20 mins until golden and crispy.
- Serve with your choice of other breakfast items and sprinkle with chopped spring onions (optional)
This recipe is gluten free, dairy free, vegetarian, paleo, Whole30, Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly
- Extra Easy - syn free per serving
- Green - syn free per serving
- WW Flex/Freestyle Smart Points - 5 per serving
Variations: try adding chopped spring onion, chives or even grated cheese (HEa choice) to the potatoes.
Microwave method: Want to skip the parboiling of the potatoes? Microwave the potatoes whole for approx 3 minutes, let cool, remove skin and then grate.
*Suitable for freezing - I recommend half baking as per instructions, the freezing. When you want 1 or 2 for breakfast, place on a baking tray from frozen and finish the cooking till crisp and golden
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided.
Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full.
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information.
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Baking Tray Set of 4, HaWare Stainless Steel Baking Sheet –Rimmed Pan Baking Sets -Healthy & Non Toxic, Easy Clean & Dishwasher Safe (Large Size)
ZeZaZu Parchment Paper Sheets for Baking (100 Sheets), Precut 12 x 16 inches - Exact Fit for Half-Sheet Baking Pans, Unbleached, Dual-Sided Coating, Siliconized, Non-Stick, RECLOSABLE Pack
KitchenCraft Non-Stick Egg Poachette Rings for Fried and Poached Eggs, Crumpets, Mini Pancakes, Omelettes and Yorkshire Puddings, 9 cm, Set of 2, Black
Trader Joe's Everything but the Bagel Sesame Seasoning Blend 2.3 oz (65g)
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1 SERVING
Amount Per Serving Calories 176Total Fat 0.2gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 0mgSodium 596mgCarbohydrates 40gFiber 5gSugar 2gProtein 5g