Sheet Pan American Crispy Hash Browns - the perfect side for when you fancy a filling breakfast and perfect with eggs, bacon or sausage.
Sheet Pan Hash Browns
If you have ever been to an American diner, then you have no doubt had some hash browns on your plate with the usual breakfast ingredients.
American hash browns are very different to what you are used to back in the UK. In the USA, it tends to be grated seasoned potato pan fried in heaps of oil or butter, whereas in the UK they are typically little frozen triangles of packed together grated potato with a crispy golden outside. If the latter is your preferred kind of hash brown, then you just have to check out my Crispy Golden Hash Browns, which are hugely popular.
Easy Shredded American Style Potato Hash Browns
However, If you want a crispy hash brown that is super easy to make, then this Sheet Pan American Crispy Hash Browns is definitely for you. The only part that takes effort is the grating of the potatoes.
But if you are lucky enough to own a Ninja Complete Kitchen System like me or a similar food processor, even that will take minimal effort, as it will grate a whole potato for you in seconds. I love mine and use it for all kinds of things, such as chopping vegetables, grating, blending even making cookie dough (the latter not at all Slimming World friendly of course and is usually for the kids).
Best Potatoes for Hash Browns
I do recommend choosing wisely the type of potato you use however. Stick to a starchy type to get that perfect outer crispness. Here over this side of the Atlantic Russet's are the best variety for these Sheet Pan American Crispy Hash Browns, in the UK choose Maris Piper or similar.
Once grated, I rinse under cold running water in a colander or sieve, and shake to remove the excess liquid, then spread out on kitchen paper and pat dry, prior to cooking. This method yields the perfect Sheet Pan American Crispy Hash Browns every time.
Perfect Recipes to serve with Sheet Pan Hash Browns
Wondering what to serve these with? I love a sunny side up egg, some salsa and some avocado (see my post on Avocado on Slimming World), some other great recipes are:
- LSausage and Egg Breakfast Muffins
- Gluten Free Apple and Red Onion Sausage Square
- Pork Sausage Breakfast Patties
- Sautéed Garlic Mushrooms
- Poached Eggs over Garlic Mushrooms
- Balsamic Tomatoes and Spinach
- Baked Egg and Ham with Balsamic Tomatoes
- Breakfast Towers
- Egg and Ham in a Toast Basket
- Baked Egg with Spinach and Tomatoes
- Cheats Poached Eggs
- No Added Sugar Baked Beans
or head on over to my Full Recipe Index with over 900 delicious Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly recipes all fully searchable by meal type, ingredients and smart points etc
- 1kg/2.25lb of russet potatoes, or similar floury potato
- ½ tsp of sea salt
- black pepper
- cooking oil spray
- Optional (add some sliced onion in with the grated potato)
- Preheat oven to 200c/400f (gas mark 6)
- Peel potatoes, then grate using a grater or grating blade of a food processor blade
- Add to a colander or sieve and rinse well with cold water. Shake to remove excess water.
- Spread out thinly on kitchen paper and blot completely dry.
- Add to a bowl along with the salt. Spray with cooking oil spray, toss to coat, then spray again, tossing one more time.
- Line a large baking tray with parchment paper (you may need two trays if you tray is not big enough).
- Spread the potato out in a thin even layer (don't pile too much on top of each other or it won't crisp).
- Bake for 20 mins, then use a spatula and carefully flip in areas, making sure you spread back out on the tray.
- Continue to bake for another 20 mins approx until the hash brown is golden and crispy on the edges.
- Season to desired taste with a little more sea salt and some black pepper
- Serve with your choice of breakfast sides.
Please see below for full nutritional info and additional details about recipe:
- Calories - scroll down to nutritional info box
- WW Points and other Slimming or Weight Loss programs - due to plans regularly changing and updating, we recommend calculating with the official tools you get as a member to those plans to ensure accuracy of values.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided at top of this post.
DO NOT COPY AND/OR PASTE FULL RECIPES OR SCREENSHOTS OF ANY CONTENT FROM SLIMMING EATS TO ANY SOCIAL MEDIA OR WEBSITE, IT IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
ALL IMAGES AND CONTENT ON SLIMMING EATS ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED
Nutritional information etc are an estimate and are to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary in values from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate values yourself by the ingredients you use and the tools provided to you as a member of the programme you are following.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Baking Tray Set of 4, HaWare Stainless Steel Baking Sheet –Rimmed Pan Baking Sets -Healthy & Non Toxic, Easy Clean & Dishwasher Safe (Large Size)
ZeZaZu Parchment Paper Sheets for Baking (100 Sheets), Precut 12 x 16 inches - Exact Fit for Half-Sheet Baking Pans, Unbleached, Dual-Sided Coating, Siliconized, Non-Stick, RECLOSABLE Pack
Salter Digital Kitchen Weighing Scales
OXO Good Grips Box Grater
Ninja BL682UK2 1500W Food Processor with Nutri Auto-iQ
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1 SERVING
Amount Per Serving Calories 172Total Fat 0.1gSaturated Fat 0.1gSodium 40mgCarbohydrates 39.3gFiber 6gSugar 2.1gProtein 4.2g