Sautéed Brussel Sprouts with Roasted Butternut Squash - a simple healthy veggie-packed side dish for all your main meals.
Sometimes it can be hard to incorporate vegetables into your meal in a delicious filling way. But vegetables really do not need to be boring, there are so many yummy ways you can jazz them up.
These Sauteed Brussels sprouts with roasted butternut squash are probably one of my favourite vegetable side dishes. Yummy seasoned roasted cubes on butternut squash mixed in with some lightly sauteed Brussels Sprouts.
Remember those bitter over boiled Brussels Sprouts we use to get served as a child? It's probably enough to put anyone off this delicious vegetable.
Cooked correctly or even eaten raw shredded in a salad like this yummy - Brussels Sprouts Salad with Almonds and Cranberries even the haters will be converted. I was!!
Usually, when sauteing vegetables, oil or butter is generally used. Here I use a clever trick I've been doing for years of braising and reduce down in stock, it gives the same effect but is syn free and far fewer calories too.
We all know how much you love a Syn Free Recipe right?
The butternut squash is roasted in spray oil using just a few ingredients for seasoning. Nothing complicated is needed and all are ingredients you will likely already have in your cupboard or pantry.
I like to roast the butternut squash in this dish as it gives it a slightly caramelized exterior that is delicious.
Want some other delicious vegetable side recipes like this? Check out these below:
- Cauliflower Egg Fried Rice
- Brussels Sprouts Gratin
- Vegetable Gratin
- Butternut Squash Fries
- Bombay Butternut Squash
- Balsamic Tomatoes and Spinach
- Cauliflower Mash
- Roasted Cauliflower Rice
- Spiralled Swede Fries
- Lemon Garlic Fennel
- Cauliflower and Spring Onion Fritters
or head on over to my Full Recipe Index with over 850 delicious Slimming World and Weight Watchers recipes all fully searchable by meal type, ingredients, syn value and smart points etc.
What main course would you serve this Sautéed Brussel Sprouts with Roasted Butternut Squash with? Here are some of my favs:
- Paprika Balsamic Chicken
- Stove Top Pork with Apples
- Spicy Chicken Stuffed with Feta and Salsa
- Garlic Chicken and French Bean Bake
- Sausage and Lentil Casserole
- Feta Stuffed Chicken with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
- Bulgur Wheat Onion Sage Stuffed Chicken
- Maple Glazed Chicken
Kitchen Items used in this Sautéed Brussel Sprouts with Roasted Butternut Squash:
- Kitchen Scales
- Chopping Board
- Measuring Jug
- Santoku Knife
- Measuring Spoons
- Deep Non-Stick Frying Pan
- Baking Tray
- Parchment Paper
You can also subscribe to Slimming Eats so that you never miss any new updates.
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE, LET US KNOW! LEAVE A COMMENT, RATE IT AND TAG US IN YOUR PHOTOS @SLIMMINGEATS ON INSTAGRAM
See the handy Pinterest image below if you wish to pin this for later 🙂
- 350g (12.5oz) of Brussels sprouts. sliced thinly
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- ½ cup (120ml) of chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 small butternut squashed, peeled and diced (approx 650g/22.9oz)
- 2 tsp of paprika
- salt and black pepper
- cooking oil spray
- Preheat oven to 200c/400f
- Add cubed butternut squash (don't cube too big as it will take longer to cook) to a bowl, along with the paprika.
- Spread out on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Season over the top with some salt and black pepper.
- Spray over the top with cooking oil spray, place in the oven and roast for approx 30-40 minutes until slightly softened and caramelised on the outside.
- When the butternut squash is almost ready
- Spray a deep frying pan with some cooking oil spray
- Add the sliced Brussel sprouts and garlic and fry for a couple of minutes to infuse the garlic flavour.
- Add the stock a little bit at a time, stirring until it reduces down, keep repeating this process until all the stock is gone. Season with salt and black pepper
- Once the butternut squash is ready, add into the pan with the Brussel Sprouts and toss all together.
- Serve and enjoy!!
This recipe is dairy free, gluten free, vegan, Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly
- Extra Easy/SP - Syn Free per serving
- Green/Vegan - Syn Free per serving (use vegetable stock)
- WW Smart Points - 0 per serving
*suitable for freezing
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided.
Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full.
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information.
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1 serving
Amount Per Serving Calories 111Total Fat 0.2gSaturated Fat 0.1gCholesterol 0.6mgSodium 184mgCarbohydrates 25.9gFiber 6.5gSugar 5.5gProtein 4.2g