Enjoy a plate of this delicious Salisbury Steak with Gravy - tender beef patties with hidden cauliflower smothered in a delicious rich mushroom onion gravy.
There is something super comforting about a plate of food with delicious gravy don't you think? and this Salisbury Steak certainly doesn't disappoint. Perfect when served with some vegetables and my amazing creamy Mashed Potatoes.
"But what exactly is Salisbury Steak?" I hear you ask - it's basically a blend of ground beef (mince) with a unique blend of seasoning served in a gravy or sauce. A popular dish over this side of the Atlantic.
When creating my version of this popular recipe, I was thinking of ways I could sneak in vegetables. I already had some covered in the gravy with the onions and mushrooms, but I also had the genius idea of adding some leftover Roasted Cauliflower Rice I had from the day before into the ground beef mix. It was perfect, it keep the Salisbury steaks lovely and juicy and tender and best of all the fussy kids didn't even know that cauliflower was in there.
By all means leave out the cauliflower if you wish, these are still absolutely delicious without, but if you struggle with vegetables, it's a great way to increase them on your plate.
If you love dishes with gravy, check out some of these other delicious recipes:
- Swedish Meatballs and Gravy
- Rosemary Lamb Loin Chops with Mint Gravy
- Sausages and Mash with Gravy
- Slow Cooker Guinness Beef Brisket
- Lamb Meatballs with Mint Gravy
- Bulgur Wheat, Onion, Sage and Sausage Stuffed Chicken
- Slimming Eats Poutine
- Slow Cooked Chicken
- Mushroom and Parmesan Chicken Meatballs
- Mustard Beef with Mushrooms
- Slow Cooked Sweet Onion Braised Beef
- Braised Beef
or head on over the my FULL RECIPE INDEX with over 800+ delicious Slimming Eats Recipes fully searchable by meal type, ingredients etc.
The gravy that accompanies these Salisbury Steaks, is so good you will literally want to mop it up with a spoon. It's based on my very popular Gravy which uses a base of onions, caramelized and then cooked with stock and a few other ingredients.
Once blended and added back to the pan, it results in a beautiful gravy that is just amazing.
To blend the gravy so it is nice and smooth, I use my Nutri Ninja Blender with Auto IQ. This blender is amazing. The auto IQ technology feature, mean it blends to a set pattern depending on what it is you are making. There is also an optional add-on for a food processor bowl, which is perfect for chopping and grating vegetables. Sauces and soups are literally so smooth, once complete in this amazing kitchen gadget.
HOW CAN I ADD VEGETABLES TO THIS SALISBURY STEAK WITH GRAVY.
I did add anything additional, we just went for good ole mash and peas, neither of which are a vegetables, because there is plenty ovegetables in the salisbury steak recipe as it stands. But if you want to up your vegetables even further, you could serve with vegetables of your choosing instead of peas or even swap the mash for a vegetable mash - such as this sour cream and onion cauliflower mash.
TO MAKE THIS delicious Salisbury Steak AND GRAVY YOU WILL NEED THE FOLLOWING KITCHEN ITEMS:
- Non Stick Frying Pan
- Kitchen Scales
- Measuring Jug
- Measuring Spoons
- Wooden Spoon
- Santoku Knife (perfect knife for chopping veg)
- Chopping Board
- Blender or Immersion Stick Blender
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE, LET US KNOW! LEAVE A COMMENT, RATE IT AND TAG US IN YOUR PHOTOS @SLIMMINGEATS ON INSTAGRAM
- 500g/17.5oz of ground beef (mince)
- 1 cup of leftover roasted cauliflower rice *click for recipe
- ½ tsp of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbs of tomato paste
- 1 tsp of onion powder
- ½ tsp of garlic powder
- 200g/7oz of mushrooms
- fresh chopped parsley
- cooking oil spray
- salt and black pepper
- For the gravy:
- 300g/10.5oz of red onion
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 tbs of tomato paste
- 2 cups (480ml) of beef stock (or broth)
- 2 cups (480ml) of chicken stock (or broth)
- pinch of thyme
- 1 tbs of balsamic vinegar
- cooking oil spray
- Spray a saucepan over a medium high heat with some cooking oil spray.
- Add the onion and fry until softened
- Add the garlic and fry for a further minute.
- Add the balsamic vinegar, and a little of the beef stock and reduce down till the onions are caramelized.
- Add in the tomato paste, thyme and remainder of the beef and chicken stock, bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- While the gravy is simmering, add the ground beef, cauliflower, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and black pepper and mix well to combine, then form into 4 equal sized patties. (oval shaped).
- Spray a large frying pan over a medium high heat with cooking oil spray, add the patties and lightly brown on each side, remove and set aside.
- Once the gravy has simmered for 20 mins, add to a blender and blend till smooth.
- Re spray the frying pan with cooking oil spray, add the mushrooms and fry until lightly browned.
- Then add in the gravy. Place the salisbury steaks carefully into the gravy and allow to simmer in the gravy for approx 10 minutes until cooked through and the gravy has reduced down and thickened.
- Serve sprinkled with some fresh chopped parsley and season as need with salt and black pepper.
Please see below for full nutritional info and additional details about recipe:
- Calories - scroll down to nutritional info box
- WW Points and other Slimming or Weight Loss programs - due to plans regularly changing and updating, we recommend calculating with the official tools you get as a member to those plans to ensure accuracy of values.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided at top of this post.
DO NOT COPY AND/OR PASTE FULL RECIPES OR SCREENSHOTS OF ANY CONTENT FROM SLIMMING EATS TO ANY SOCIAL MEDIA OR WEBSITE, IT IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
ALL IMAGES AND CONTENT ON SLIMMING EATS ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED
Nutritional information etc are an estimate and are to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary in values from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate values yourself by the ingredients you use and the tools provided to you as a member of the programme you are following.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1 serving (1 salisbury steak with gravy)
Amount Per Serving Calories 254Total Fat 6.2gSaturated Fat 2.1gCholesterol 87.1mgSodium 537mgCarbohydrates 13gFiber 2.8gSugar 5.8gProtein 37.8g