Fajita Chicken Pasta - all the great flavours of chicken fajita's in this amazing pasta dish that the whole family will love.
I love fajita's - I think it is all the different components - the seasoning and flavours, the grilled meat, onions and peppers, then all the amazing toppings from soured cream, to cheddar and cilantro.
But then there are the flour tortillas that are not exactly Slimming friendly. There are some tortillas/wraps that are low calorie, but let's face it, one tortilla is never going to cut it for me when I fancy fajitas, so this Fajita Chicken Pasta is a perfect way around that.
This recipe is also found in the Slimming Eats Made Simple cookbook as one of the 15 bonus blog favourites. You can get it from all Major Retailers including Amazon
(As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.)
Serving with pasta is a great way to enjoy this dish without the guilt. You still get to have some of those amazing toppings. Actually, I enjoy this just as much, if not more.
For this Fajita Chicken Pasta - I have used chicken thigh, as that's what I had at the time, but chicken breast, beef strips or even shrimp (prawns) would work just as well, or if you are vegetarian, just a delicious mix of vegetables with the seasoning would be perfect too.
The first part is the seasoning for the chicken. I add all the spices to my Cuisinart Mini Food Processor, so it makes an amazing Fajita Paste, using olive oil for the paste or spray oil if I really want to keep this healthy. I also add a little bit of sukrin gold (a natural sweetener with no aftertaste).
Once the paste is made, add it to a bowl with the chicken (or other protein of choice) and mix to marinate well and then I cover and refrigerate for a few hours, for the flavours to really get absorbed into the meat. You could make this up in the morning, and then it will be ready to cook at dinner time, or even prepare the night before and leave it marinating until ready to be cooked.
Hey, that paste is great for all kinds of protein just on their own, especially skewers of meat for a barbecue.
Love this pasta dish? check out some of these delicious pasta recipes:
- One Pot Chicken and Asparagus Pasta
- Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Pasta
- One Pot Speed Pasta
- Sloppy Joe Pasta Bake
- One Pot Beef Fajita Pasta
- Pulled Pork Pasta Bake
- One Pot Creamy Zucchini Pasta
- Quick Mac and Cheese
- Creamy Garlic Pasta
- Best Ever Bolognese Pasta Bake
- Chicken Bacon and Tomato Pasta Bake
- Beef Lasagne
- Spicy Mexican Chicken Lasagne
or if you would like more recipe ideas - head on over to the FULL RECIPE INDEX where you will find over 900 delicious recipes with calories and you can search by meal type, ingredients, course, diet and more..
All recipes on Slimming Eats have estimated nutritional information for your convenience.
How can I add extra vegetables to this Chicken Fajita Pasta?
This pasta dish is packed with veggies already: peppers, onion and zucchini (courgette) all great for bulking out any dish to make more filling while not adding a huge amount of calories.
As well as the veggies that come packed in the dish. I like to serve this as a fajita pasta bowl with some crisp shredded romaine or iceberg lettuce.
A fajita dish of any kind is never complete without a little avocado, sour cream (or use greek yoghurt for a lighter option) and some cheddar. But this pasta dish is also really delicious and packed with flavour just on its own. My kids love this and so it's a perfect all-around family meal.
Kitchen Items that I used for this Chicken Fajita Pasta:
- Mini Food Processor
- Cast Iron Skillet (perfect for on the stove cooking and transferring to the oven)
- Chopping Board
- Measuring spoons
- Santoku Knife
- Wooden Spoon
- Mixing Bowl
- Large Saucepan
Come and follow me on:
FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST
TWITTER, TIK TOK and YOUTUBE
You can also subscribe to Slimming Eats
so that you never miss any new updates.
Need some extra Support? Come and check out my Facebook Group
If you try this recipe, let us know!
Leave a comment, Rate It and
Tag us in your Photos
@SLIMMINGEATS on INSTAGRAM
- 260g (10.5oz) of uncooked penne pasta (can use a gluten-free option) - reserve ½ cup of the pasta water (120ml)
- 500g of chicken thighs (or can use chicken breast, beef, shrimp or pork)
- juice of a small lime
- 1 tablespoon of ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon of paprika
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- 1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped (seeds removed)
- 1 teaspoon of oregano
- 1 tsp of salt
- 2 teaspoon of sukrin: gold
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil - or use spray oil to make this healthier.
- ¼ tsp of cayenne (optional) - omit if you don't like it too spicy
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- 1 courgette (zucchini), halved lengthways and sliced
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- avocado spray oil
- freshly chopped coriander (cilantro)
- Add to a mini food processor the lime juice, cumin, jalapeno, cayenne pepper, paprika, oregano, sukrin gold, salt, olive oil (or spray oil), crushed garlic and a little salt and blitz a few times until you have a paste. Add to the chicken and mix to coat thoroughly. Refrigerate for a few hours to marinade.
- Cook the pasta until al dente, drain and set aside (reserving some of the pasta water)
- Spray a frying pan with some avocado spray oil, over a medium high heat. Add the marinated chicken mixture and cook stirring occasionally until the chicken is browned and cooked through, remove the chicken and set aside.
- Add the peppers, onion,and courgette (zucchini) and stir constantly until the vegetables are nice and tender, but still crisp.
- Add the chicken back to the pan
- Add the tomato paste and the reserved pasta water.
- Add the cooked pasta and mix together thoroughly, until the sauce lightly coats all the pasta and is heated through.
- Season as needed with salt and black pepper and top with some fresh chopped coriander.
- Serve with your choice of sides/toppings
Please see below for full nutritional info and additional details about recipe:
- Calories - scroll down to nutritional info box
- WW Points and other Slimming or Weight Loss programs - due to plans regularly changing and updating, we recommend calculating with the official tools you get as a member to those plans to ensure accuracy of values.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided at top of this post.
DO NOT COPY AND/OR PASTE FULL RECIPES OR SCREENSHOTS OF ANY CONTENT FROM SLIMMING EATS TO ANY SOCIAL MEDIA OR WEBSITE, IT IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
ALL IMAGES AND CONTENT ON SLIMMING EATS ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED
Nutritional information etc are an estimate and are to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary in values from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate values yourself by the ingredients you use and the tools provided to you as a member of the programme you are following.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1 SERVING (without toppings)
Amount Per Serving Calories 446Total Fat 6.6gSaturated Fat 1.4gCholesterol 93mgSodium 922mgCarbohydrates 55.4gFiber 8gSugar 8.3gProtein 37.1g