Fajita Chicken Pasta - all the great flavours of chicken fajita's in this amazing pasta dish that the whole family will love.
I love fajita's - I think it is all the different components - the seasoning and flavours, the grilled meat, onions and peppers, then all the amazing toppings from soured cream, to cheddar and cilantro.
But then there are the flour tortillas that are not exactly Slimming World friendly. There are some tortillas/wraps that qualify as a HEb, but one tortilla is never going to cut it for me when I fancy tortillas, so this Fajita Chicken Pasta is a perfect way around that.
Serving with pasta is a great way to enjoy this dish without the guilt. You still get to have some of those amazing toppings, but without breaking the daily syn bank. Actually, I enjoy this just as much, if not more.
For this Fajita Chicken Pasta - I have used chicken thigh, as that's what I had at the time, but chicken breast, beef strips or even shrimp (prawns) would work just as well, or if you are vegetarian, just a delicious mix of vegetables with the seasoning would be perfect too.
The first part is the seasoning for the chicken. I add all the spices to my Cuisinart Mini Food Processor, so it makes an amazing Fajita Paste, using olive oil for the paste or spray oil if I really want to keep this syn free. I also add a little bit of sukrin gold (a natural sweetener with no aftertaste).
Once the paste is made, add it to a bowl with the chicken (or other protein of choice) and mix to marinate well and then I cover and refrigerate for a few hours, for the flavours to really get absorbed into the meat. You could make this up in the morning, and then it will be ready to cook at dinner time, or even prepare the night before and leave it marinating until ready to be cooked.
Hey, that paste is great for all kinds of protein just on their own, especially skewers of meat for a barbecue.
Love this pasta dish? check out some of these delicious pasta recipes:
- One Pot Chicken and Asparagus Pasta
- Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Pasta
- One Pot Speed Pasta
- Sloppy Joe Pasta Bake
- One Pot Beef Fajita Pasta
- Pulled Pork Pasta Bake
- One Pot Creamy Zucchini Pasta
- Quick Mac and Cheese
- Creamy Garlic Pasta
- Best Ever Bolognese Pasta Bake
- Chicken Bacon and Tomato Pasta Bake
- Beef Lasagne
- Spicy Mexican Chicken Lasagne
or head on over to my Full Recipe Index with over 900 delicious Slimming World and Weight Watchers recipes all fully searchable by meal type, ingredients, syn value and smart points etc.
How can I add a ⅓ speed foods to this Chicken Fajita Pasta?
This pasta dish is packed with speed foods, peppers, onion and zucchini (courgette) all great for bulking out any dish to make more filling while not adding a huge amount of calories or syns.
As well as the veggies that come packed in the dish. I like to serve this as a fajita pasta bowl with some crisp shredded romaine or iceberg lettuce which increases the speed foods even further, you could also add some chopped tomatoes.
A fajita dish of any kind is never complete without a little avocado (syns), sour cream (or use greek yoghurt for a syn free option) and some cheddar if you have a Healthy Extra spare. But this pasta dish is also really delicious and packed with flavour just on its own. My kids love this and so it's a perfect all-around family meal.
Kitchen Items that I used for this Chicken Fajita Pasta:
- Mini Food Processor
- Cast Iron Skillet (perfect for on the stove cooking and transferring to the oven)
- Chopping Board
- Measuring spoons
- Santoku Knife
- Wooden Spoon
- Mixing Bowl
- Large Saucepan
Come and follow me on:
FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST
TWITTER, TIK TOK and YOUTUBE
You can also subscribe to Slimming Eats
so that you never miss any new updates.
Need some extra Support? Come and check out my Facebook Group
If you try this recipe, let us know!
Leave a Comment, Rate It and Tag us in your
Photos @SLIMMINGEATS on INSTAGRAM
- 260g (10.5oz) of uncooked penne pasta (can use a gluten-free option) - reserve ½ cup of the pasta water (120ml)
- 500g of chicken thighs (or can use chicken breast, beef, shrimp or pork)
- juice of a small lime
- 1 tablespoon of ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon of paprika
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- 1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped (seeds removed)
- 1 teaspoon of oregano
- 1 tsp of salt
- 2 teaspoon of sukrin: gold
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil (2 syns) - or use spray oil to make this completely syn free
- ¼ tsp of cayenne (optional) - omit if you don't like it too spicy
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- 1 courgette (zucchini), halved lengthways and sliced
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- avocado spray oil
- freshly chopped coriander (cilantro)
- Add to a mini food processor the lime juice, cumin, jalapeno, cayenne pepper, paprika, oregano, sukrin gold, salt, olive oil (or spray oil), crushed garlic and a little salt and blitz a few times until you have a paste. Add to the chicken and mix to coat thoroughly. Refrigerate for a few hours to marinade.
- Cook the pasta until al dente, drain and set aside (reserving some of the pasta water)
- Spray a frying pan with some avocado spray oil, over a medium high heat. Add the marinated chicken mixture and cook stirring occasionally until the chicken is browned and cooked through, remove the chicken and set aside.
- Add the peppers, onion,and courgette (zucchini) and stir constantly until the vegetables are nice and tender, but still crisp.
- Add the chicken back to the pan
- Add the tomato paste and the reserved pasta water.
- Add the cooked pasta and mix together thoroughly, until the sauce lightly coats all the pasta and is heated through.
- Season as needed with salt and black pepper and top with some fresh chopped coriander.
- Serve with your choice of sides/toppings
This recipe is gluten free, Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly
- Slimming World - syn free per serving (or 0.5 syns when using olive oil)
- WW Flex Freestyle Smart Points - 7 per serving (use chicken breast)
- Gluten Free - use gluten free pasta of choice
*suitable for freezing
This can be made totally syn free using spray oil, or just 0.5 syns per serving if you use the olive oil. ½ a syn isn't really anything to try and skimp on, but if you just can't do without a syn free recipe, then feel free to make that adjustment.
For a syn free alternative to soured cream - mix some fat free Greek Yoghurt with a little fresh lemon juice and salt.
Remember to syn any toppings you decide to add which are not free, and count any healthy extra's if you add cheese.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided.
Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full.
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information.
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1 serving (without toppings)
Amount Per Serving Calories 414Total Fat 6.7gSaturated Fat 1.3gCholesterol 93mgSodium 922mgCarbohydrates 60gFiber 3.1gSugar 4.1gProtein 30.9g