This Syn Free One Pot Chicken and Asparagus Pasta is ready in about 20 minutes and is packed with amazing flavour.
I purchased a huge bunch of asparagus the other day for an awesome price, which of course couldn't be resisted as asparagus tastes amazing and best of all is a speed food.
One of my favourite ways to cook asparagus, is to add some to an overproof dish, spray over the top with a little spray oil and season well with salt and black pepper and roast in the oven. Actually roasting is my preferred method for cooking it, and I could pretty much eat a plate of it all on its own.
It also pairs up really well with a little grated parmesan and lemon juice over the top and is delicious in soup, like this Asparagus Soup or Asparagus and Sweet Potato Soup. There is also this delicious Chicken and Asparagus Bake. So many yummy dishes to try.
You can also try serving some for breakfast with boiled eggs, oven roasted just as it is, or wrapped in some bacon instead of the usual toast soldiers - yum!! A great alternative and saves up your healthy extra b choice for lunch or dinner.
With a huge bunch of asparagus to be used up I decided on a yummy pasta dish for dinner. One Pot Pasta dishes are becoming hugely popular for my family. So easy and quick to make, and less washing up to do after, which is great for this time of year, when you want to spend more time outside enjoying the garden, than inside cooking and cleaning up afterwards.
Chicken pieces seasoning with lemon zest, garlic and black pepper, paired with asparagus and pasta, make this One Pot Chicken and Asparagus Soup such a delight. Perfect flavours, with minimal effort.
It was clear plates from everyone, which always makes me happy to see.
For variation, you can also make this a creamy pasta dish, by omitting one healthy extra serving of the parmesan and instead adding 1 cup of 2% milk towards the end and continuing to simmer until it creates a silky creamy sauce.
Serve this delicious Syn Free One Pot Chicken and Asparagus Pasta with a side salad of spring greens, red onion and tomato with a low syn dressing of your choice.
Looking for some more No Fuss One Pot Meals? Check out these:
- One Pot Creamy Zucchini Pasta
- One Pot Beef Fajita Pasta
- One Pot Shrimp Pasta
- Low Syn Instant Pot Bombay Lamb Curry
- Chana Masala
- Spicy Prawn and Vegetable Risotto
- Beef and Six Bean Chilli
- Mushroom Risotto
- One Pot Speed Pasta
or check out my FULL RECIPE INDEX for over 500+ delicious Slimming World recipes
Make this One Pot Chicken and Asparagus Pasta for dinner tonight and enjoy!!
Syn Free One Pot Chicken and Asparagus Pasta
This recipe is Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendlyExtra Easy - 1 HEa per servingWW Smart Points - 14
- 350 of chicken thighs, cut in small pieces
- ¼ tsp of garlic powder
- ¼ tsp of onion powder
- ¼ tsp of paprika
- ¼ tsp of dried basil
- ¼ tsp of salt
- ¼ tsp of black pepper
- little zest of lemon
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 300g of asparagus spears, chopped in half
- 4.5 cups of chicken stock
- 300g of penne pasta (or other pasta of choice)
- spray oil
- 120g of parmesan, grated
- fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- for creamy version:
- Omit 30g (1 oz) of parmesan for 1 cup (240ml) of 2% milk (1 HEa)
- Spray a deep frying pan over a medium high heat with spray oil
- Add the chicken, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, basil, salt and pepper and fry for 5 mins, till lightly golden.
- Add in the lemon zest and stir to coat, remove and set aside.
- Spray pan with a little more spray oil and add the onion and garlic and fry for 2 minutes to softened.
- Add in the asparagus, pasta and stock, bring to a boil and reduce heat and simmer for 10-12 minutes.
- When the stock has reduced to about half, add the chicken and 90g of parmesan and continue to simmer, stirring till cheese is melted into sauce and sauce just coats the pasta.
- Season as needed with some salt and black pepper. Top with fresh chop parsley and the remaining parmesan
For creamy version:
- Omit 30g of parmesan and 0.5 cup of stock
- Then at step 6, add 60g parmesan, the chicken and milk and continue as above.
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only.
Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate nutritional information. Also double check syn values of synned ingredients as different brands can vary.
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1 serving
Amount Per Serving Calories 564Total Fat 16.8gSaturated Fat 7.3gCholesterol 90.1mgSodium 817mgCarbohydrates 64.7gFiber 1.4gSugar 4.8gProtein 41.4g
How much milk is added when making the ‘creamy version’ please?
Shevy (Slimming Eats) says
Hi Riley - it is stated in the recipe box under ingredients, swap the parmesan out for 1 cup (240ml) of 2% milk. Hope that helps 🙂
Frank Coltman says
Oh my goodness. This is going to become another family favourite.. So full of flavour. and really quick and easy
Hi is this able to be frozen please? Thank you
Shevy (Slimming Eats) says
yes you can freeze 🙂
Sam hewit says
Hi! Do I add the pasta in it’s dried form or should the pasta be pre-cooked?!
Shevy (Slimming Eats) says
this is a one pot recipe, so the pasta goes in uncooked, it cooks in the pan with everything else - enjoy 🙂
Shirley Robertson says
Thank you so much for the recipe. The food tasted so good.
Caroline C says
This looks so good! I was wondering if adding ricotta to a dish like this would work to make a creamy sauce. I only discovered recently that ricotta 90g is a Healthy A, and I’m keen to try it in pasta!
Siobhan (Slimming Eats) says
I wouldn't personally use ricotta in this recipe as you won't get the same creamy result.
Made this tonight. I used leftover chicken breast and just lightly fried it in the spices to coat it. I did the creamy version. It was brilliant.