Today I was rushed for time, but had nothing prepared for lunch.
I figured some pasta would be the quickest to put together, but didn't have any meat of the freezer to add to it and didn't fancy my usual homemade tomato based sauces.
Mac and Cheese is usually really high in calories, cheese, butter, flour, milk, some even with cream and bread crumbs.
I decided to whip up a quick low calorie cheese sauce and viola, my quick low calorie Mac and Cheese was created.
It was really delicious served with a quick mixed salad of romaine lettuce, cucumber and tomatoes.
Lunch all ready in less than 20 mins!!
- 75g (2.5oz) of macaroni pasta, uncooked (can use gluten free)
- 45g (1.5oz) of reduced fat cheddar
- ½ cup (120ml) of 1% milk -
- 1 teaspoon of cornstarch (or tapioca flour/arrowroot)
- teeny pinch of mustard powder
- salt and black pepper
- low calorie spray
- Add pasta to a saucepan of salted boilng hot water and simmer for approx 10 mins, until al dente.
- While the pasta is cooking add a little bit of the milk to the arrowroot and mix into a paste.
- Add the rest of the milk to a sauce pan over a medium heat with the paste, cheese and mustard and continue to stir until the cheese melts and the sauce thickens and becomes smooth.
- Once the pasta is ready, drain, and spray with a little spray oil, just to loosen.
- Then add to the sauce and mix together.
- Season with salt and black pepper as needed.
- Serve with your choice of sides.
Please see below for full nutritional info and additional details about recipe:
- Calories - scroll down to nutritional info box
- WW Points and other Slimming or Weight Loss programs - due to plans regularly changing and updating, we recommend calculating with the official tools you get as a member to those plans to ensure accuracy of values.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided at top of this post.
DO NOT COPY AND/OR PASTE FULL RECIPES OR SCREENSHOTS OF ANY CONTENT FROM SLIMMING EATS TO ANY SOCIAL MEDIA OR WEBSITE, IT IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
ALL IMAGES AND CONTENT ON SLIMMING EATS ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED
Nutritional information etc are an estimate and are to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary in values from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate values yourself by the ingredients you use and the tools provided to you as a member of the programme you are following.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
Nutrition InformationYield 1 Serving Size 1 SERVING
Amount Per Serving Calories 436Total Fat 10.1gSaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 32.5mgSodium 430mgCarbohydrates 63.3gFiber 2gSugar 6gProtein 24.6g