This Syn Free Sheet Pan American Crispy Hash Browns is the perfect side for your Full Breakfast with bacon and eggs.
If you have ever been to an American diner, then you have no doubt had some hash browns on your plate with the usual breakfast ingredients.
American hash browns are very different to what you are used to back in the UK. In the USA, it tends to be just grated sometime seasoned potato pan fried in heaps of oil or butter, whereas in the UK they are typically little frozen triangles of packed together grated potato with a crispy golden outside. If the latter is your preferred kind of hash brown, then you just have to check out my Syn Free Crispy Golden Hash Browns, which are hugely popular.
However, If you want a crispy hash brown that is super easy to make, then this Syn Free Sheet Pan American Crispy Hash Browns is definitely for you. The only part that takes effort is the grating of the potatoes.
But if you are lucky enough to own a Ninja Complete Kitchen System like me or a similar food processor, even that will take minimal effort, as it will grate a whole potatoes for you in seconds. I love mine and use it for all kinds of things, such as chopping vegetables, grating, blending even making cookie dough (the latter not at all Slimming World friendly of course and is usually for the kids).
I do recommend choosing wisely the type of potato you use however. Stick to a starchy type to get that perfect outer crispness. Here over this side of the Atlantic Russet’s are the best variety for these Syn Free Sheet Pan American Crispy Hash Browns, in the UK choose Maris Piper or similar.
Once grated, I think rinse under cold running water in a colander or sieve, and shake to remove the excess liquid, before spread out on kitchen paper and patting dry, before then preparing to cook. This method yields the perfect Syn Free Sheet Pan American Crispy Hash Browns every time.
Wondering what you can make to serve alongside these Syn Free Sheet Pan American Crispy Hash Browns? Check out some of these recipes:
- Low Syn Sausage and Egg Breakfast Muffins
- Gluten Free Apple and Red Onion Sausage Square
- Pork Sausage Breakfast Patties
- Syn Free Sautéed Garlic Mushrooms
- Poached Eggs over Garlic Mushrooms
- Balsamic Tomatoes and Spinach
- Baked Egg and Ham with Balsamic Tomatoes
- Breakfast Towers
- Egg and Ham in a Toast Basket
- Baked Egg with Spinach and Tomatoes
- Cheats Poached Eggs
- Syn Free No Added Sugar Baked Beans
or head on over to my FULL RECIPE INDEX with over 800+ delicious Slimming World recipes
I like to serve this Syn Free Sheet Pan American Crispy Hash Browns with crispy streaky style bacon, which unlike regular back bacon is not syn free, but there are some brands which are not too high in syns for a couple of slices. I also cook it on a rack on a baking tray over some foil, so an excess fat that is released drains underneath. It goes perfectly crispy and is worth the syns in my opinion. A dollop of some low syn salsa is perfect too.
HOW CAN I ADD A 1/3 SPEED FOODS TO THIS Syn Free Sheet Pan American Crispy Hash Browns?
Serve with mushrooms, grilled tomatoes, spinach, or a side of fruit like strawberries or melon to add a 1/3 speed foods to your plate.
TO MAKE THIS DELICIOUS SYN FREE SHEET PAN AMERICAN CRISPY HASH BROWNS, YOU WILL NEED THE FOLLOWING KITCHEN ITEMS:
- Food Processor with grater blade or Grater
- Kitchen Scales
- Measuring Spoons
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Chopping Board
- Santoku Knife
- Baking Tray
- Parchment Paper
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE, LET US KNOW! LEAVE A COMMENT, RATE IT AND TAG US IN YOUR PHOTOS @SLIMMINGEATS ON INSTAGRAM
Syn Free Sheet Pan American Crispy Hash Browns | Slimming World
Yield 4 servings
This recipe is gluten free, dairy free, vegetarian, Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly
- Extra Easy - syn free per serving
- WW Smart Points - 5
- 1kg/2.25lb of russet potatoes, or similar starchy potato
- 1/2 tsp of sea salt
- cooking oil spray
- Preheat oven to 200c/400f (gas mark 6)
- Peel potatoes, then grate using a grater or grating blade of a food processor blade
- Add to a colander or sieve and rinse well with cold water. Shake to remove excess water.
- Spread out thinly on kitchen paper and blot completely dry.
- Add to a bowl along with the salt. Spray with cooking oil spray, toss to coat, then spray again, tossing one more time.
- Line a large baking tray with parchment paper (you may need two trays if you tray is not big enough).
- Spread the potato out in a thin even layer (don't pile too much on top of each other or it won't crisp).
- Bake for 20 mins, then use a spatula and carefully flip in areas, making sure you spread back out on the tray.
- Continue to bake for another 20 mins approx until the hash brown is golden and crispy on the edges.
- Season to desired taste with a little more sea salt
- Serve with your choice of breakfast sides.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information.
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
Serving Size 1 serving
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 0.1 g
Saturated Fat 0.1 g
Sodium 40 mg
Total Carbohydrates 39.3 g
Dietary Fiber 6 g
Sugars 2.1 g
Protein 4.2 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free and/or dairy-free, for example) or Vegetarian friendly. Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only
Click here to come and join the - Slimming Eats Facebook group
where you can ask any questions on recipes, get the links to new recipes as they get posted to the blog, daily meal ideas, support and advice.
Looking for some other recipes? Head on over to my RECIPE INDEX for 500+ more recipes for you to browse through.
DID YOU ? I'D TO SEE IT!THIS
Snap a photo and hashtag #slimmingeats or tag me @slimmingeats on INSTAGRAM
Are you on facebook? Then be sure to come and like me on FACEBOOK
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full.