This easy roasted tomato and garlic sauce will become a staple when you want a delicious fresh sauce to serve over your favourite pasta. Store in the fridge or batch cook and freeze.
Easy Pasta Sauce
When I spot tomatoes on sale, especially in the summer I grab quite a lot as this sauce is so easy fresh and delicious.
If you are lucky enough to grow tomatoes too then you will make this sauce again and again and a variety of different types of tomatoes are even better.
Best Tomatoes for Pasta Sauce
Undoubtedly the best types of tomatoes for a pasta sauce has to be roma, especially Italian San Marzano tomatoes. But I find baby grape tomatoes or cherry tomatoes are equally delicious too.
For a roasted pasta sauce, it's so easy because I don't even both peeling the tomatoes. So it's a win win all round.
What other ingredients are needed?
Usually copious amounts of extra virgin olive oil are added to any roasted vegetables. But for my easy recipe and to keep the calories as low as possible I use a little bit of olive oil spray and then some stock.
The stock adds flavour to the sauce and keeps the garlic and onions from burning without having to use all that oil.
Onions are a must for any roasted sauce and I use a whole bulb, yes a whole bulb or garlic, it's not overpowering, instead as it roasts in the stock it softens and has a delicious sweet taste that just is heavenly. Pasta sauce is just not complete without garlic.
of course if you do want to add in a tablespoon or two of olive oil, then by all means do, it will add a few more calories, but will also add even more incredible depth and flavour to the sauce.
How long will the sauce last?
This roasted tomato and garlic sauce will serve about 4-6 people depending on how much sauce you like over your pasta.
It keeps for just about 1 week in the fridge or is perfect for freezing. I recommend freezing in portions so you have some on hand for one person quick meals if needed. Nothing worse than having to defrost the whole lot if you don't need it all.
Best dish for roasting vegetables for sauce
I always use baking trays, you can get them in a variety of different sizes and they just ensure you can spread out all the ingredients evenly and get perfect cooking.
If you cram everything in a small dish it won't roast evenly and you won't get those yummy flavours.
I do line with some parchment paper, this just ensures easy clean up afterwards.
More Pasta Sauce Recipes
looking for some other sauces for pasta? Check out these:
- Creamy Tomato Pasta Sauce
- Delicious Vegan Cheese Sauce
- Roasted Tomato and Basil Sauce
- Homemade Tomato Pasta Sauce
- Slow Cooker Bolognese Sauce
- Pea Pesto
- Marinara Sauce
- Arugula, Basil and Spinach Pesto
- Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto
or if you would like more recipe ideas - head on over to the FULL RECIPE INDEX where you will find over 900 delicious recipes with calories and you can search by meal type, ingredients, course, diet and more..
All recipes on Slimming Eats have estimated nutritional information for your convenience at the bottom of the recipe box.
Come and follow me on:
FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST
TWITTER, TIK TOK and YOUTUBE
You can also subscribe to Slimming Eats
so that you never miss any new updates.
Need some extra Support? Come and check out my Facebook Group
If you try this recipe, let us know!
Leave a comment, Rate It and
Tag us in your Photos
@SLIMMINGEATS on INSTAGRAM
- 1kg of fresh tomatoes (use any variety you like, can also use a mixture)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 bulb of garlic, sliced in half
- 2 teaspoon of dried Italian herbs or mixed herbs
- 1 cup (240ml) of chicken or vegetable stock (and additional stock for blending)
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste (puree)
- salt and black pepper to season
- olive oil spray
- Preheat oven to 180c fan, 200c, 400f or gas mark 6
- Place all tomatoes, onion, halved garlic bulb and Italian herbs on a large baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Pour the stock all over the top along with tomato paste and mix to combine, spread back out and then spray over the top with olive oil spray.
- Sprinkle with some salt and black pepper and roast in the oven. for approx 35-40 minutes until softened and lightly caramelized. Squeeze all the garlic cloves out of the bulb (they should now be lovely and soft
- Add to a blender and pulse until a thickened sauce consistency, you can use some additional stock here to help it blend if needed. You can just spoon this over pasta just as it is too.
- Can be kept in the fridge for approx 1 week or frozen for later use.
- I love to serve this over pasta with freshly grate parmesan and some fresh basil leaves.
Please see below for full nutritional info and additional details about recipe:
- Calories - scroll down to nutritional info box
- WW Points and other Slimming or Weight Loss programs - due to plans regularly changing and updating, we recommend calculating with the official tools you get as a member to those plans to ensure accuracy of values.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided at top of this post.
DO NOT COPY AND/OR PASTE FULL RECIPES OR SCREENSHOTS OF ANY CONTENT FROM SLIMMING EATS TO ANY SOCIAL MEDIA OR WEBSITE, IT IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
ALL IMAGES AND CONTENT ON SLIMMING EATS ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED
Nutritional information etc are an estimate and are to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary in values from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate values yourself by the ingredients you use and the tools provided to you as a member of the programme you are following.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Salter Digital Kitchen Weighing Scales
Zelite Infinity Santoku Knife - Comfort-Pro Series - High Carbon Stainless Steel Knives X50 Cr MOV 15 >> 7" (180mm)
Baking Tray Set of 4, HaWare Stainless Steel Baking Sheet –Rimmed Pan Baking Sets -Healthy & Non Toxic, Easy Clean & Dishwasher Safe (Large Size)
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1 SERVING
Amount Per Serving Calories 75Total Fat 1gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 20mgSodium 599mgCarbohydrates 14gFiber 6gSugar 8gProtein 3g
Nutritional information and valuesetc are an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate by the ingredients you use.