Smother your pasta in this delicious Sun-dried Tomato Red Pesto.
I love red pesto, but ready-made jar versions can be pretty high calorie if you want a decent amount stirred into your pasta and it kind of feels a waste of calories for the measly amount you get.
Now you can make this amazing low calorie sun-dried Tomato Red Pesto and be happy with the fact that it will totally cover all your pasta and not cost you hardly any calories.
Just simple easy ingredients - sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, basil, parmesan with passata and tomato paste. There is no need for oil or pine nuts in this version, meaning the calories are drastically reduced.
You don't even need to save this just for pasta, it is amazing with protein like chicken too. Bake some chicken breasts smothered in this Sun-Dried Tomato Red Pesto for a delicious sauce.
For the pasta lovers, however, there really is no better way to enjoy this Sun-dried Tomato Red Pesto than stirred into a big bowl of pasta. I like fusilli, but any pasta of choice is okay.
Reserve some of the pasta water when cooked, then as you stir the pesto into the pasta, ladle in that reserved pasta water, you will have an amazing bowl of Sun-dried Tomato Red Pesto Pasta - yum!!
HOW CAN I ADD A ⅓ VEGETABLES TO THIS Sun-dried TOMATO RED PESTO?
Whether you choose to serve this with pasta or with protein. I love to pair any kind of pesto dish with a salad of arugula and baby tomatoes. But it would be great with any serving of vegetable, especially roasted.
WHAT KITCHEN ITEMS DO I NEED TO MAKE THIS SUN-DRIED TOMATO RED PESTO?
You can also subscribe to Slimming Eats to keep up to date on all new recipes.
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE, LET US KNOW! LEAVE A COMMENT, RATE IT AND TAG US IN YOUR PHOTOS @SLIMMINGEATS ON INSTAGRAM
- 60g/2oz of Sun-dried tomatoes (not in oil)
- 50g/1.7oz of fresh basil
- 60g/2oz of parmesan
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- ¾ cup (180ml) of passata (crushed tomatoes)
- pinch of salt and black pepper
- Add the sun-dried tomatoes to a bowl and cover with water, to soften
- Drain and add to a mini food processor with the garlic and pulse till finely chopped.
- Add in the basil, parmesan and passata, plus a pinch of salt and pepper and pulse until you have a paste.
- Perfect with chicken or stirred through pasta
- If not using straight away keep in a lidded jar in the fridge.
- When serving with pasta, reserve some pasta water and stir this through the cooked pasta with the pesto
Please see below for full nutritional info and additional details about recipe:
- Calories - scroll down to nutritional info box
- WW Points and other Slimming or Weight Loss programs - due to plans regularly changing and updating, we recommend calculating with the official tools you get as a member to those plans to ensure accuracy of values.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided at top of this post.
DO NOT COPY AND/OR PASTE FULL RECIPES OR SCREENSHOTS OF ANY CONTENT FROM SLIMMING EATS TO ANY SOCIAL MEDIA OR WEBSITE, IT IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
ALL IMAGES AND CONTENT ON SLIMMING EATS ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED
Nutritional information etc are an estimate and are to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary in values from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate values yourself by the ingredients you use and the tools provided to you as a member of the programme you are following.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
Nutrition InformationYield 2 Serving Size 1 serving
Amount Per Serving Calories 250Total Fat 14.2gSaturated Fat 5.7gCholesterol 23mgSodium 710mgCarbohydrates 16gFiber 3.5gSugar 3.9gProtein 15.8g