Make up a batch of this Roasted Tomato and Basil Sauce - super quick and easy to throw together, you will be thankful you have some in the freezer next time you cook some pasta and want a yummy sauce to put over it.
There is nothing better than making your own sauces, either to refrigerate in re-sealable jars or to freeze to use at a later date and the best thing of all is they taste so much better than shop bought premade stuff and of course are a lot less syns too.
I make my own sauces quite regularly and then freeze in little handy sized freezable cups so I can take out when needed to use as sauces for pasta or chicken. It even works well with fish like Tilapia and many other foods.
Sauce are great for sneaking in vegetables if you have any fussy children (or adults) in your household too, as you can hide many vegetables without them even noticing.
I have some many yummy sauce recipes such as:
- Syn Free Chip Shop Curry Sauce
- Syn Free Homemade Pizza Sauce
- Syn Free Creamy Garlic Pasta Sauce
- Low Sugar Low Syn Ketchup
- Marinara Sauce
- Homemade Tomato Pasta Sauce
- Syn Free Barbecue Sauce
- Roasted Tomato and Garlic Pasta Sauce
- Creamy Tomato Pasta Sauce
- Syn Free Gravy
and then of course this Roasted Tomatoes and Basil sauce which is one of my favourites and uses just tomatoes, garlic and a little bit of fresh basil. You really can't get any better ingredients for a delicious sauce. Those 3 ingredients make the best sauce ever and you won't believe how super easy it is to make.
I don't even waste any time chopping vegetables or cooking this on the stove, they all go in a dish and get roasted until softened and then it is just a case of blending it all in my Nutri Ninja Food Processor with Auto IQ technology – until the sauce is nice and smooth.
My kids love this sauce stirred through some cooked pasta with a little bit of parmesan grated over the top (you can use some of your HEa allowance). The sauce is just super fresh in taste and a such a lovely flavour.
Occasionally I will throw in some shredded cooked chicken and frozen peas for another meal combination. You could even use it for a pasta bake, by putting it in a oven proof dish and adding cheese to the top and baking until melted. How delicious does that sound?
It is great just as a sauce with some protein like grilled chicken breast or fish and I really love it with the Oven Baked Butternut Squash and Celeriac Shoestrings.
Want to make up an even bigger batch of Roasted Tomato and Basil Sauce? Simple, just double or triple the recipe and you will have a decent batch to freeze some portions.
No more wasting syns on ready made jars with this Syn Free Roasted Tomato and Basil Sauce.
- 500g (17.5oz) of fresh cherry or vine tomatoes (not canned)
- 3-4 whole cloves of garlic
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- Handful of fresh basil
- salt and black pepper
- Spray oil
- 1-2 tsp of sukrin gold or other sweetener of choice
- Preheat oven to 200 or 400f
- Place tomatoes, onion and garlic in an oven proof dish,
- Spray with the spray oil and season with a little salt. Mix to evenly coat.
- Roast in the oven until tomatoes have softened and onion and garlic have started to caramelise. Approx 45 mins depending on your oven.
- Add the mixture to a blender, with the fresh basil, sukrin gold and blend until smooth.
- Taste and season as needed with a good pinch of salt and black pepper
- Stir into cooked pasta or use as a sauce for a variety of dishes
- You can then refrigerate for up to 1 week in a re-sealable jar
- Also suitable for freezing
Double of triple the ingredients to make a larger batch.
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. You should always double check syn values for synned items.
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full
Nutrition InformationYield 23 Serving Size 1 serving
Amount Per Serving Calories 55Sodium 52mgCarbohydrates 12.4gFiber 1.5gSugar 3.5gProtein 1.6g