Salmon and Broccoli Quiche – for when you fancy a delicious quiche with a crust!!
Slimming World crustless quiches are a popular choice on members menus, simple to make and perfectly filling with lots of protein and delicious fillings.
Most use a mixture of fat free cottage cheese and eggs or some go down the frittata route and just use eggs. Neither is right or wrong, it all comes down to what you prefer.
I tend to use a mixture of blended fat free cottage cheese and eggs, as for me it is what yields the best resemblance to an actual quiche.
As for filling, the possibilities are endless, with so many FREE FOODS on Slimming World at your disposal. Don’t forget to add some speed foods too, speed foods are what are going to help to keep you satiated and best of all boost your weight loss.
If you struggle to understand how speed foods works on the Slimming World program, check out my really useful post on The Benefits of Speed Foods.
I make quiches like this Salmon and Broccoli Quiche quite often, as they are perfect eaten hot or cold, so great for lunch with a salad, or with some more substantial sides as a main course. In the summer they are also perfect for picnics and barbecues for some a little different alongside all that yummy lean grilled meats, grilled corn and salads etc.
However occasionally I really miss the crust on a quiche. I have done the whole hash brown crust like on this Spiralled Zucchini Quiche and this Chicken and Spinach Quiche and that works really well. But with some sweet potato to use up, I decided to try something a little different.
Cooking the sweet potato, mashing and adding a little bit of flour creates an awesome crust for a quiche. It’s not going to be super crispy all over like you would expect with a pastry base, but it makes a great alternative and is super tasty soon.
This is not a tweak if enjoyed as a meal, it is no different to adding some sweet potato into your quiche, and of course the flour is synned, so you are restricted at how much you are going to have anyway.
Of course this Salmon and Broccoli Quiche is absolutely delicious without the sweet potato crust too, if you want do the usual crustless quiche.
I recommend using fresh salmon if you can, it tastes far superior, by all means use canned salmon if you prefer, but the taste really will not compare. Also if using canned salmon make sure you drain it of all liquid and blot it with some kitchen paper. If it is too wet it will prevent the mixture of the quiche from setting fully.
Again if using frozen broccoli, defrost and do the same, any time you make a quiche, you have to watch you are not causing too much liquid being released into the mixture, as it can stop it from cooking properly.
Once cooked this Salmon and Broccoli Quiche will keep for about 5-7 days in the fridge, so handy to have. I really recommend make some sort of quiche like this weekly, as it is great for emergencies.
Looking for some other quiche recipes to enjoy? Check out these recipes:
- Breakfast Layered Crustless Quiche
- Breakfast Quiche
- Cheeseburger Quiche
- Asparagus and Bacon Quiche
- Tuna and Sweetcorn Mini Quiches
- Bacon, Leek and Sweet Potato Quiche
- Butternut Squash and Red Pepper Quiche
- Red Pepper and Bacon Quiche
- Ham and Broccoli Quiche
- Artichoke, Parmesan and Spinach Quiche
or take a look at my FULL RECIPE INDEX for over 500+ delicious Slimming World Recipes
Slice, dig in and enjoy!!
- 400g of sweet potato
- 300g of fresh broccoli, blanched in hot water for 5 minutes, then chopped
- 1/4 cup (32g) of plain flour (6 syns)
- 300g of cooked salmon fillet, flaked (or you can use a tin, but fresh is best), flaked into pieces
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup (180ml) of of fat free cottage cheese
- salt and pepper to season
- spray oil
- Pierce the sweet potatoes with a fork and cook in a microwave until they feel soft when gently squeezed (Approx 5-6 mins). Allow to cool.
- Preheat oven to 180c/350f
- Remove skins from sweet potato, mash fully with a fork, add flour and mix well to combine.
- Spray a quiche dish with some spray oil, add the sweet potato mixture and smooth all over the base in a thin layer of the potato, like you would pastry.
- Place in the oven and bake for approx 25-30 minutes, until potato feels firm and is slightly golden on the edges.
- Place the eggs and cottage cheese, along with some salt and black pepper into a blender, and blend till smooth.
- When base is ready, Add the salmon and broccoli to the sweet potato base and pour over the egg/cottage cheese mixture.
- Bake in the oven until set (approx 30 mins), can then place until the grill for about 5 minutes if you want a more golden top.
- Allow to slightly cool for approx 10 minutes and then slice and serve.
Variations: try some different fillings of choice
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only.
Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate nutritional information. Also double check syn values of synned ingredients as different brands can vary.
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 serving
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 248 Total Fat: 8.5g Saturated Fat: 1.1g Cholesterol: 125mg Sodium: 242mg Carbohydrates: 22.1g Fiber: 3.4g Sugar: 4.9g Protein: 22g
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free and/or dairy-free, for example) or Vegetarian friendly. Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only
Looking for some additional support on your weight loss journey? Did you know Slimming Eats has a friendly Slimming World Facebook Support Group where you can get daily meal ideas and recipe ideas? Come and check us out, we’d love to have you join.
Looking for some other recipes? Head on over to my RECIPE INDEX for over 850 Slimming World & Weight Watchers recipes for you to browse through, all fully searchable by meal type, Ingredients, syn value and WW Smart Points etc
DID YOU ? I'D TO SEE IT!THIS
Snap a photo and hashtag #slimmingeats or tag me @slimmingeats on INSTAGRAM
Are you on facebook? Then be sure to come and like me on FACEBOOK
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full.