This quiche is really delicious with the hash brown base. I also recommend using a strong mature cheddar as it really gives the flavour. I used a good quality Canadian Cheddar which had been aged for 2 years.
This recipe is Gluten Free, Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly
Slimming Eats Recipe
Extra Easy – 1 HEa per serving
Red Pepper and Bacon Quiche
- 800g/28oz of russet potatoes, peeled and grated (squeezed of excess moisture)
- ⅔ cup (160ml) of fat free cottage cheese
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup (240ml) of chopped cooked lean bacon or ham
- 1 red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 onion, quartered and sliced thinly
- 90g/3oz of strong cheddar (3xHEa's)
- Salt and Black Pepper
- Spray oil
- Preheat oven to 200c or 400f (gas mark 6)
- Spray a 8 inch springform pan with spray oil (if you don't have this you can use a bigger pan, you just won't get the height that you do with this smaller pan)
- Season grated potato with salt and black pepper.
- Fill the end of the pan with an even layer of the grated potato and then carefully turning the pan on it's side, firmly press down the grated potato around the sides also, until you have a grated potato shell. Spray all over with spray oil.
- Place in the oven and bake for approx 35-40 mins until lightly golden.
- While potato crust is cooking, spray a frying pan over a medium high heat with some spray oil. Add the onion and fry till softened. Add the red pepper and stir fry for a further 5 mins (you may need to add a little more spray oil to prevent sticking)
- Stir in the ham or bacon and set aside.
- Add the cottage cheese to a blender, along with the eggs and blend till smooth. Season well with salt and black pepper.
- When the hash brown crust is ready. Fill with the ham (or bacon), onion and peppers.
- Pour over with the egg/cottage cheese mixture and top with the cheddar.
- Reduce oven temp to 180c or 350f (gas mark 4)
- Place the quiche in the oven and bake for approx 45, quiche should be lightly golden on top.
- Allow to cool for 10 mins before slicing.
- Serve with your choice of sides.
Gail R says
I have to give this one a go!
This sounds really delicious, and a nice take on a standard tortilla..
I have made this twice now and I LOVE it! Even my two year old son loves it! Great recipe, thanks :o))
Catherine R says
my mouth is watering and its only 9am!!!
Really enjoyed it, I ended up with two quiches, I realised I had lots extra of both potato & filing after I filled my 8½ quick dish, so made another 7½ one too. Had it cold at work 🙂
Love this! Made one last week to take to work for lunches and am making another today.
Thanks so much for this fabulous site. I enjoy cooking but am not very good at inventing or adapting dishes so I'm very grateful for all the lovely recipes here! 🙂
Jenny Robinson says
lovely! used a garlic and herb cottage cheese found 300g was enough. cant wait to make another variety, although will let potato dry longer
Alison O'Brien says
delicious! made this for lunch today will definitly make again, love your site
Alison O'Brien says
delicious!! made this for lunch today will definitly make again, love your site
Jane maclean says
MADE this for dinner tonight and it was
Loved the quiche inside the rosti case, another
Lynda Crockford says
i am going to make this for lunch when my friend calls round has she is gluten free it looks so nice xty