Sweet and Sticky Chicken - tender strips of seasoned chicken thigh in a lick the spoon sweet and sticky sauce.
Sweet Sticky Chicken Skillet
When it comes to easy family meals, this one is at the top of the list. It is a perfect recipe for any day of the week and perfect with various different sides.
Using simple store cupboard ingredients and all ready and on the table in less than 30 minutes. It's a totally fuss-free meal.
Easy Sweet Sticky Sauce
So what's in the sauce? and what makes it sweet and sticky?
There are no complicated hard to find ingredients here and no need for ready-made bottled jars or bottles either, you can put this together as quick as it is to open a jar.
A delicious and yummy glossy sauce that coats every morsel of those tender chicken thigh pieces made from:
- Maple Syrup
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Soy Sauce
- Tomato Paste
yes that it, see how easy that was?
Can I use Chicken Breast?
You will notice I use boneless and skinless chicken thighs in this recipe. Chicken thigh pieces just absorb more flavour and stay lovely and tender.
That's not to say you can't use Chicken Breast pieces, just be aware that I recommend Chicken Thighs because the final result is so much nicer. Trust me!!
As well as that yummy sweet and sticky sauce, it's always important to season. Seasoning is really important in any recipe, especially basic salt and pepper. Salt enhances the flavour in any dish, so whenever you cook any recipe, the final step should always be to taste and season with salt and pepper.
As well as basic salt and black pepper we can complement any dish with a mix of spices of that go well with the other flavours. It doesn't need to be extravagant. For example, in this recipe, I just use some onion powder and garlic powder, great flavours for the sweet and sticky sauce.
Hey if you like a bit of spice, don't be afraid to add in a pinch of cayenne or even some red chilli flakes.
My Sauce is not thickening?
Are you using the correct measurement of ingredients for the sauce with no substitutions? Adjusting ingredients or using different items may affect the sauce.
Ensure your heat is not too low, the sauce needs to bubble to reduce and thicken. Also ensure you do not add the chicken back into the pan until the sauce has thickened. You will know it is ready when you run a wooden spoon through the centre of the sauce and it stays apart.
Sides for Sweet and Sticky Chicken
Need some suggestions for sides for this delicious dish? There are so many different ones to choose from.
Some of our favourites are:
- Garlic and Herb Wedges
- Perfect Oven Baked Chips
- Crushed Roast Potatoes
- Lime Coriander Rice
- Red Pepper Coriander Rice or even some plain rice.
Loads more options too in the sides section of Slimming Eats
For vegetables, I just went for some sauteed red onion, green pepper, red pepper and spring onions, seasoned and flavoured with a little drizzle sesame oil.
Some other great options are sauteed shredded greens (like cabbage, or Brussels), stir fry mixes or mushrooms etc.
More Chicken Recipes
Want some more chicken recipes? Check out these:
- HONEY AND MUSTARD CHICKEN TRAY BAKE
- SMOKED PAPRIKA CHICKEN CASSEROLE (INSTANT POT, SLOW COOKER OR STOVE TOP)
- ONE POT LEMON GARLIC CHICKEN RICE
- PEACH BARBECUE CHICKEN TRAY BAKE
- CHINESE CASHEW CHICKEN
- CREAMY CHEESY SPINACH STUFFED CHICKEN TRAY BAKE
- YAKITORI CHICKEN SKEWERS
or head on over to my Full Recipe Index with over 850 delicious Slimming World and Weight Watchers recipes all fully searchable by meal type, ingredients, syn value and smart points etc
You can also subscribe to Slimming Eats so that you never miss any new updates.
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE, LET US KNOW! LEAVE A COMMENT, RATE IT AND TAG US IN YOUR PHOTOS @SLIMMINGEATS ON INSTAGRAM
See the handy Pinterest image below if you wish to pin this for later 🙂
- 750g (26.5oz) of raw boneless skinless chicken thighs (trimmed of all visible fat), sliced into strips
- 1 tbs of freshly grated ginger root
- sea salt and black pepper
- ½ tsp of onion powder
- ½ tsp of garlic powder
For the sweet and sticky sauce
- 4 tbs of maple syrup
- 3 tbs of balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbs of soy sauce
- 1 tbs of tomato paste (puree)
- ½ cup (120ml) of water
- cooking oil spray (I used avocado)
- In a jug combine the water, maple syrup, balsamic vinegar, soy sauce and tomato puree.
- Spray a frying pan over a high heat with some cooking oil spray.
- Add the chicken, ginger, onion powder, garlic powder and seasoned well with salt and black pepper.
- Fry until lightly golden on all sides. Remove and set aside.
- Add the sauce ingredients to the frying pan and use a wooden spoon to scrape up any bits stuck to the pan, this will add flavour to your sauce.
- Bubble the sauce on a high heat until it starts to thicken, you will know it is thickened enough if you run a wooden spoon through the sauce and the sauce divides.
- Once the sauce is to this consistency, add back in the chicken and continue to simmer until the chicken pieces are well coated in the sauce and cooked through.
- Taste and season with salt and black pepper as needed.
- Serve with your choice of sides and enjoy!!
This recipe is gluten free, dairy free, Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly
- Slimming World - 2 syns per serving
- Green WW Smart Points - 8 per serving
- Blue WW Smart Points - 8 per serving
- Purple WW Smart Points - 8 per serving
- Gluten Free - use a gluten free soy sauce
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided.
Do not screenshot content or post recipe or content in full. All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
Nutritional information, syn values, points etc are an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate by the ingredients you use.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Santoku Knife-MAD SHARK Pro Kitchen Knife 7 Inch Santoku Knife,Best Quality German High Carbon Stainless Steel Knife with Ergonomic Handle,Ultra Sharp,Best Choice for Home Kitchen and Restaurant
Kirkland Maple Syrup, 100% Pure and Natural, Grade A Amber, Rich Taste 1Litre
Le Creuset Toughened Non-Stick Shallow Frying Pan, 26 cm
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1 SERVING
Amount Per Serving Calories 282Total Fat 7.5gSaturated Fat 1.7gCholesterol 174mgSodium 446mgCarbohydrates 16.4gFiber 0.2gSugar 12.2gProtein 36.9g