Delicious Yakitori Chicken Skewers are great for throwing on the barbecue or grill pan and a simple recipe the whole family will love.
I can't remember the first time I tried yakitori chicken, I think it might have been some kind of Japanese Food Mall booth here in Canada.
It's probably not much of a surprise that I love Japanese food. You will a couple of Japanese inspired dishes on here such as my delicious and authentic tasting Chicken Katsu Curry and this Yakitori Chicken and Noodles.
Yakitori translates to Grilled Chicken, but it is the unique marinade that gives the delicious taste. However no two marinades are the same, they can vary slightly in ingredients and methods. Traditionally Yakitori combines Sake - a Japanese fermented rice Alcoholic drink and Mirin - similar to Sake but is a non-alcoholic Rice Wine with much higher sugar content.
For these Yakitori Chicken Skewers - I make a simple marinade using brown sugar, tamari (Japanese soy sauce) and rice wine vinegar. I know you might be tempted to swap the brown sugar for sweetener, but trust me, you won't get the same syrup marinade, that coats the chicken.
Want some other Asian inspired recipes? Then check out some of these recipes:
- LOW SYN BEEF WITH MUSHROOMS IN OYSTER SAUCE
- LOW SYN CHICKEN DRUMSTICKS IN A PEANUT SAUCE
- MONGOLIAN BEEF (STOVE TOP AND ACTIFRY)
- SWEET CHILLI BEEF (STOVE TOP AND ACTIFRY)
- DELICIOUS BEEF TERIYAKI
- QUICK SRIRACHA CHICKEN
- SATAY BEEF AND VEGETABLES
- TERIYAKI CHICKEN AND RICE BOWL
or if you would like more recipe ideas - head on over to the FULL RECIPE INDEX where you will find over 900 delicious recipes and can search by ingredients, course, diet and more.
All with estimated calories, Slimming World and Weight Watcher Smart Points values.
Make sure you soak the wooden skewers in some water for about half an hour, prior to skewering on the meat, this will prevent the wooden skewers from going black on the grill. Which won't harm you if they do, but they look nicer when they are not all black.
I also decorate these Yakitori Chicken Skewers, with a little chopped spring onion and some sesame seeds. It just makes them look pretty and if the food looks good then we tender to enjoy it even more.
How can I add a ⅓ speed foods to these Yakitori Chicken Skewers?
I served along with some sesame stir-fried vegetables - carrot batons, sliced zucchini (courgette) and chopped spring onion, which was lightly sauteed in a pan with a teaspoon of toasted sesame oil (2 syns), and some salt and black pepper. Of course, you can keep syn free if you prefer by using spray oil, but the toasted sesame oil adds a lovely flavour which pairs up well with this recipe.
Pretty much any stir-fried veggies will go well with these chicken skewers, you could even add your veggies slices to the skewer sticks with the chicken and grill together.
Kitchen Items used to make these Yakitori Chicken Skewers:
- Wooden Skewers
- Kitchen Scales
- Measuring Spoons
- Measuring Jug or Cups
- Wooden Spoon
- Santoku Knife (perfect knife for chopping veg)
- Chopping Board
- Mixing Bowls
- Small Saucepan
- Grill Pan
- Silicone basting brush
Come and follow me on:
FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST
TWITTER, TIK TOK and YOUTUBE
You can also subscribe to Slimming Eats
so that you never miss any new updates.
Need some extra Support? Come and check out my Facebook Group
If you try this recipe, let us know!
Leave a Comment, Rate It and Tag us in your
Photos @SLIMMINGEATS on INSTAGRAM
- 600g (21oz) of raw chicken breast, sliced into bitesize pieces
- 3 tablespoons of tamari (soy sauce)
- 3 tablespoon of brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon of rice wine vinegar
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon of finely grated ginger root
- ½ cup (120ml) of water
- 6 wooden skewers
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon of sesame seeds (optional)
- avocado spray oil
- Soak the wooden skewers in some warm water for approx 30 mins (this will skewers prevent from burning)
- Add the Tamari, rice vinegar, water, sugar, garlic and ginger to a small saucepan and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat slightly so that it gently bubbles and continue to heat the sauce until it starts to reduce down and go syrupy (this can take approx 12-15 minutes, ensure you keep an eye on it, as otherwise it can evaporate and burn quickly if you leave it unattended. The sauce won't go super thick, you want a syrup that can be brushed on the chicken so it coats it as you cook/grill it)
- Once the wooden skewers have soaked for required time, add the chicken breast pieces to the skewers.
- Heat a grill pan over a medium high heat, (or you can cook on a grill or barbecue) and spray with avocado spray oil
- Add the chicken skewers and grill until brown on all sides, then using a silicone brush, brush the sauce all over the chicken skewers so that is coats the chicken. Do this a few times through the cooking of chicken until it is golden and glazed in the sauce.
- Decorate with sliced spring onions and a sprinkling of sesame seeds.
- Serve and enjoy!!
This recipe is dairy free, gluten free, Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly
- Slimming World - 2.5 Syns per serving
- WW Green Smart Points - 6 per 2 skewers
- WW Blue Smart Points - 6 per 2 skewers
- WW Purple Smart Points - 6 per 2 skewers
- Gluten Free - use a gluten free tamari/soy sauce
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided only.
DO NOT COPY AND/OR PASTE FULL RECIPES OR SCREENSHOTS OF ANY CONTENT FROM SLIMMING EATS TO ANY SOCIAL MEDIA, IT IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
ALL IMAGES AND CONTENT ON SLIMMING EATS ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED.
Nutritional information, syn values, points etc are an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate by the ingredients you use.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
TOMORAL Measuring Cups and Spoons
TeamFar Saucepan, Professional Stainless Steel Sauce Pan with Lid, Small Milk Pan for Home Kitchen Restaurant Cooking, Easy Clean – 14cm/1L
KIKKOMAN Tamari Gluten Free Soy Sauce 250 ml
Andrew James Griddle Pan for All Hobs Including Induction | Oven-Proof Non-Stick Aluminium Pan with Removable Handle | Delicious Chargrilled Meat Chicken Fish & Veg
Marukan Seasoned Gourmet Rice Vinegar 355 ml
Sesame Seeds, Roasted (7.05 oz) By Ottogi
Nutrition InformationYield 3 Serving Size 2 skewers
Amount Per Serving Calories 277Total Fat 2.7gSaturated Fat 0.7gCarbohydrates 17.9gFiber 0.2gSugar 11.7gProtein 47g
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and thereforeJapaneseit would be impossible to give accurate information.