You won't miss the potatoes in this Delicious Healthy Cottage Pie with Cauliflower Spring Onion Mash - a perfect friendly meal.
I got back from a weeks vacation at the weekend and have to admit there were far too many indulgences and I was feeling rather bloated and sluggish. Thankfully there was only a small gain of 2lbs, but keen to get it back off and start feeling good again, I opted to really up all the vegetables in my meals this week.
Kids requested a Cottage Pie for dinner, I think they were craving some good healthy home cooked food too. So rather than use potato for the topping I wanted to keep it super healthy and packed with vegetables so went for a delicious Cauliflower Spring Onion Mash.
You really will not even notice the lack of potatoes in this Cottage Pie with Cauliflower Spring Onion Mash. The cauliflower mash was delicious and flavoursome and is possibly my new favourite way to enjoy cauliflower. Even the kids who are normally cauliflower haters didn't even realize it was cauliflower.
Cauliflower is definitely one of those perfect speed foods that can be cooked in a variety of different ways as a replacement for things like rice, mash, even pizza base in various recipes. It's my go-to choice for sides when I am trying to increase vegetables on my plate and it was just amazing on this Healthy Cottage Pie with Cauliflower Spring Onion Mash.
Here are some great Cauliflower recipes from the blog that you might love:
- Free Egg Fried Cauliflower Rice
- Roasted Cauliflower Frittata
- Cheesy Cauliflower Garlic Bread
- Roasted Cauliflower Rice
- Sour Cream and Spring Onion Cauliflower Mash
- Cauliflower and Spring Onion Fritters
- Roasted Cauliflower Cheese Lasagne
- Roasted Butternut Squash Cauliflower Rice
- Chicken Fried Cauliflower Rice
- Cauliflower Pizza
- Cheddar Stuffed Cauliflower Bites
or head on over to my FULL RECIPE INDEX with over 800+ delicious Slimming Eats Recipes all fully searchable by meal type, ingredients and values etc.
Normally I will suggest vegetables that will pair well with my recipes, but with this Cottage Pie with Cauliflower Spring Onion Mash all those vegetables are well covered so you can dig into a big serving of this knowing you are filling yourself up with plenty of veggies.
To make the Cauliflower Mash lovely and smooth and creamy, I use a my Ninja Food Processor, you can use a regular masher, but you won't get quite as smooth a result.
What Kitchen Items do I need to make this Cottage Pie with Cauliflower Spring Onion Mash?
- Kitchen Scales
- Measuring Jug
- Measuring Spoons
- Chopping Board
- Santoku Knife (perfect knife for chopping veg)
- Food Processor
- Frying Pan
- Large Saucepan
- Oven Proof Dish
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE, LET US KNOW! LEAVE A COMMENT, RATE IT AND TAG US IN YOUR PHOTOS @SLIMMINGEATS ON INSTAGRAM
- For the cauliflower spring onion mash topping:
- 1 large head of cauliflower
- chicken stock
- 3 spring onions, finely chopped
- salt and black pepper
- ¼ (60ml) of almond or cashew milk
- 2 eggs
- For the Cottage Pie filling:
- 455g/1lb of extra lean ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 tbs of mixed herbs
- 1 tbs of tomato paste (puree)
- 1 tbs of balsamic vinegar
- 2 cups (480ml) of beef stock (broth)
- 2 tbs of starch (corn, arrowroot or tapioca)
- cooking oil spray
For the cauliflower spring onion mash topping:
- Add the cauliflower to a large saucepan
- Just cover with chicken stock (broth), bring to a boil, then simmer for 10 mins until tender.
- Fully drain (this is important) and then add to a food processor with the almond (or cashew) milk and pulse a few times until smooth and creamy.
- Add to a bowl, stir in the spring onion, season to taste with salt and black pepper and then stir in the eggs. Set aside.
For the Cottage Pie filling:
- Spray a large frying pan over a medium-high heat with cooking oil spray, add the onion, celery and carrot and fry for a few mins till onion is translucent.
- Add in the ground beef and garlic, and continue to fry until the meat is browned.
- Stir in the tomato paste, mixed herbs and balsamic vinegar.
- Pour in the stock
- Mix the starch with a little cold water and add this in too, stir and then simmer for approx 15 mins until the gravy is rich and thickened and the vegetables are tender.
- Preheat oven to 200c (400f)
- Add the cottage pie filling to an ovenproof dish and carefully spoon on top the cauliflower spring onion mash. Rough over the top with a fork.
- Place in the oven and bake for about 35 mins until the topping is lightly golden.
- Serve and enjoy!!!
Please see below for full nutritional info and additional details about recipe:
- Calories - scroll down to nutritional info box
- WW Points and other Slimming or Weight Loss programs - due to plans regularly changing and updating, we recommend calculating with the official tools you get as a member to those plans to ensure accuracy of values.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided at top of this post.
DO NOT COPY AND/OR PASTE FULL RECIPES OR SCREENSHOTS OF ANY CONTENT FROM SLIMMING EATS TO ANY SOCIAL MEDIA OR WEBSITE, IT IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
ALL IMAGES AND CONTENT ON SLIMMING EATS ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED
Nutritional information etc are an estimate and are to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary in values from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate values yourself by the ingredients you use and the tools provided to you as a member of the programme you are following.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1 serving
Amount Per Serving Calories 279Total Fat 7.2gSaturated Fat 2.4gCholesterol 159mgSodium 503mgCarbohydrates 22.6gFiber 7.2gSugar 7gProtein 34.9g