Make this delicious Black Pepper Chicken Traybake for dinner tonight, simple dish with roasted cauliflower and baby potatoes.
Today was hectic, lots to sort out around the house - I cleared out and tidied the fridge, reorganized all my spices and herbs, baking shelf and pantry cupboard. So it is all neat and easy to find things I'm looking for.
With cooking and creating new recipes daily, my cupboards can quickly become a mess as I grab things to add to dishes. I have over the years collected quite a selection of herbs and spices and I love having plenty of dried beans, lentils and grains etc in my pantry.
As well as that I was out in the garden with the kids, while they swam in the pool. It's the summer holidays here in Canada, so we bought a pool that we can set up each year for them too cool off, on hot summer days like today. It can get pretty hot here in the summer months. This year seems a lot hotter than usual, we have already had several heat advisory warnings.
Come dinner time, I wanted something easy to make that I can just add into the oven and so a simple recipe like this Black Pepper Traybake seemed like the perfect choice.
I love traybakes, especially this time of year when you don't really want to stand out the stove for long periods of time.
With chicken thighs in the fridge that I needed to use up and some baby new potatoes and cauliflower. I went to my newly organized spice and pantry cupboard for some additional ingredients I could combine together for some yummy flavours to this Black Pepper Chicken Traybake.
The star of the dish is, of course, black pepper, such a simple ingredient that comes with lots of flavours. I use it in so many recipes, and especially love it on eggs or baked chicken thighs.
To make more of a marinade for the chicken thighs I combined the black pepper with some other pantry ingredients such as garlic onion powder, balsamic vinegar and soy sauce and the chicken was absolutely delicious.
Choosing the vegetables to accompany it, really was based on what I had available and it was a perfect combination. There is nothing better than softened roasted red onion, caramelized on the edges cauliflower and beautiful buttery tasting baby golden potatoes.
I did parboil the baby potatoes for this Black Pepper Chicken Traybake, just so that I can add everything to the tray at the same time, otherwise, the potatoes would take slightly longer to cook.
When creating traybakes you really can be adventurous, look at what vegetables you have to use up and remember most vegetables (except starchy ones) are speed foods, so the more of those you add the better. Increasing speed foods on your plate will boost your weight loss, so make those vegetables the star of your dish.
I've mentioned before how I always try to think speed foods first. That way you know you are always going to have the right ratio of them on your final meal. It's easy to pair free foods with vegetables if you are always thinking about those first.
Love traybakes like this Black Pepper Chicken Traybake? Check out some of these other recipes:
- Garlic Chicken and French Bean Tray Bake
- Chicken and Asparagus Bake
- Chicken, Feta and Roasted Beetroot Bake
- Mediterranean Layered Bake
- Chicken, Leek and Butternut Squash Bake
- Smoked Mackerel Bake
- Leek and Potato Bake
- Cheesy Vegetable Bake
- Lemon Garlic Chicken Rice Traybake
- Lemon and Herb Butter Salmon Traybake
or head on over to my FULL RECIPE INDEX with over 800+ Slimming Eats Recipes all fully searchable by meal type, value, ingredients etc
How can I add a ⅓ speed foods to this Black Pepper Chicken Traybake?
With the red onion and cauliflower added to this, there is plenty of speed foods, but any additional vegetables would go well with this dish.
TO MAKE THIS DELICIOUS BLACK PEPPER CHICKEN TRAYBAKE YOU WILL NEED THE FOLLOWING KITCHEN ITEMS:
- Kitchen Scales
- Measuring Spoons
- Measuring Jug
- Mixing Bowl
- Chopping Board
- Santoku Knife
- Baking Tray
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE, LET US KNOW! LEAVE A COMMENT, RATE IT AND TAG US IN YOUR PHOTOS @SLIMMINGEATS ON INSTAGRAM
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs - 400g/14oz
- 2 tbs of soy sauce
- 1 tbs of balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp of black pepper ( I used coarse ground)
- ½ tsp of garlic powder
- ½ tsp of onion powder
- 1 red onion
- 600g/21oz of baby potatoes, skin on
- 1 medium head of cauliflower, broken into florets
- ½ cup (120ml) of chicken stock
- cooking oil spray
- fresh coriander, chopped
- Preheat oven to 200c/400f
- Add the potatoes to a saucepan and cover with water, bring to a boil, then turn off heat and leave in water for 5 mins. Drain and set aside.
- Add to the bowl the soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, garlic powder, onion powder and black pepper and whisk to combine.
- Add in the chicken thighs and toss to coat.
- Scatter the potatoes, red onion and cauliflower on a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Season with salt.
- Place the chicken thighs between the veg evenly spaced out.
- Pour into the tray the chicken stock.
- Spray over the top with cooking oil spray.
- Place in the oven and bake for 40 mins. take out half way to rotate the potato and cauliflower and scatter with some fresh chopped coriander.
- Serve and enjoy!!
Please see below for full nutritional info and additional details about recipe:
- Calories - scroll down to nutritional info box
- WW Points and other Slimming or Weight Loss programs - due to plans regularly changing and updating, we recommend calculating with the official tools you get as a member to those plans to ensure accuracy of values.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided at top of this post.
DO NOT COPY AND/OR PASTE FULL RECIPES OR SCREENSHOTS OF ANY CONTENT FROM SLIMMING EATS TO ANY SOCIAL MEDIA OR WEBSITE, IT IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
ALL IMAGES AND CONTENT ON SLIMMING EATS ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED
Nutritional information etc are an estimate and are to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary in values from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate values yourself by the ingredients you use and the tools provided to you as a member of the programme you are following.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
Nutrition InformationYield 3 Serving Size 1 serving
Amount Per Serving Calories 373Total Fat 5.9gSaturated Fat 1.5gCholesterol 114mgSodium 844mgCarbohydrates 50.5gFiber 13gSugar 10.8gProtein 40.1g