Syn Free Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Pasta – delicious and full of flavour!!
You know how it is, you really crave a bowl of creamy flavoursome pasta, but tend to avoid it on Slimming World because anything with the word creamy in the title, tends to be high in syns.
However with a couple of Slimming World friendly ingredients it is really easy to create you favourite creamy style dishes and one of my favourites in this Syn Free Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Pasta.
I have to admit I love chicken and I love mushrooms. I already have this amazing dairy free Creamy Chicken and Mushroom which is delicious with this Roasted Cauliflower Rice and some greens of choice.
But for those of you that are not dairy free and want the pasta, then this is the dish for you.
Did you know you can saute mushrooms and pack them with flavour without having to add lots of oil or butter which is high in syns. A neat little trick I have been using for years now, is to gradually brown the mushrooms with some stock. As it reduces down you can keep on adding more, and the result is beautiful golden mushrooms that taste like they have been sautéed in butter. I use this method for saute many vegetables now, from onions, to green beans, even the a onion, carrot and celery mix which is the base for many of sauces and dishes.
To get the creaminess into the dish I use low fat cream cheese, adding this in with some stock until it reduces down into a lovely velvety creamy sauce is perfect. I use a similar method in this Steak with Creamy Peppercorn Sauce. So I figured it would be perfect for pasta. You can use the cream cheese as part of your Healthy Extra A allowance which makes this dish syn free, or syn it. The choice is totally up to you.
Reserving some of the liquid from the cooked pasta and adding it into the sauce, is another great trick for pasta type dishes, the starch from the pasta water, really helps the sauce, not appear thin and watery. I do this even with tomato based sauces.
For this Syn Free Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Pasta, I find chicken breast works best rather than thigh meat. Hey this even tastes amazing with no chicken and all and just served as a mushroom pasta dish.
My kids love this, and devour a bowl with no complaints. If you have a HEa spare, a little grate parmesan to the top just takes it that little bit further.
For some speed foods, serve with a mixed green salad.
You can also make this Syn Free Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Pasta gluten free, but using a gluten free pasta of choice, my preference is brown rice pasta, as I find it to be the closest in taste and texture to regular pasta.
All in all and delicious pasta dish for the whole family, and one that is super easy to make too.
Syn Free Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Pasta
Yield 4 servings
This recipe is gluten free, Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly
- Extra Easy - 2 syns per serving(or syn free if using your HEa allowance)
- WW Smart Points - 10
- Gluten Free - use a gluten free pasta
- 3 x chicken breast (approx 510g/17.5oz) , sliced in to tenders
- 300g (10.5oz) of mushrooms, sliced thinly
- 320g (11.28oz) of Penne pasta (or other pasta of choice)
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2.5 cups of chicken stock
- 8 tbs of low fat cream cheese (8 syns)
- salt and black pepper
- spray oil
- handful of fresh chopped Italian parsley, finely chopped
- Cook pasta to al dente, reserve two ladles of the pasta water and then drain and set aside.
- Spray a frying pan with some spray oil
- Add the chicken pieces and fry until lightly golden on both sides. Remove and set aside.
- Spray with a little more spray oil
- Add the shallot, garlic and mushrooms and fry for 2 minutes.
- Pour in a little stock and reduce down, keep repeating with a little stock, until the mushrooms are lovely and golden.
- Whisk the cream cheese into the remain stock and reserved pasta water
- Add to the pan with the mushrooms and bring to a boil. Simmer uncovered until the sauce reduces down and starts to thicken slightly.
- Add in the pasta and chicken and continue to simmer until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce has thickened.
- Stir through the parsley.
- Season well with salt and black pepper
- Serve and enjoy
Low fat cream cheese can vary in syns, so be sure to double check the syn value of the one you use.
If you prefer you can use the cream cheese as part of your HEa allowance or why not use some of your HEa to add a little parmesan to the top.
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only.
Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. You should always double check syn values for synned items.
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full
Serving Size 1 serving
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 5.8 g
Saturated Fat 0.8 g
Cholesterol 83 mg
Sodium 373 mg
Total Carbohydrates 61 g
Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
Sugars 3.5 g
Protein 51.4 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Looking for some more breakfast recipes to try? – Previously on Slimming Eats
- 1 year ago: Low Syn Sweet Chilli Beef
- 2 years ago: Asian Chicken Meatballs
- 4 years ago: Slow Cooked Chicken
- 5 years ago: Chicken, Zucchini, Parmesan and Quinoa Bake
- 6 years ago: Bacon and Cheese Tortilla Espanola
- 7 years ago: Pizza Topped Baked Sweet Potato
- 8 years ago: Low Syn Beef Lasagne
with many more recipes in my full: Recipe Index
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free and/or dairy-free, for example) or Vegetarian friendly. Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only
Click here to come and join the - Slimming Eats Facebook group
where you can ask any questions on recipes, get the links to new recipes as they get posted to the blog, daily meal ideas, support and advice.
Looking for some other recipes? Head on over to my RECIPE INDEX for 500+ more recipes for you to browse through.
DID YOU ? I'D TO SEE IT!THIS
Snap a photo and hashtag #slimmingeats or tag me @slimmingeats on INSTAGRAM
Are you on facebook? Then be sure to come and like me on FACEBOOK
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure policy.