Tender Chicken with Creamy Mushroom Sauce, you can't get much better than that.
Most creamy sauces involve dairy of some sort. So when you think dairy free, you think oh no you can't possibly create a creamy sauce - wrong!! You can and this sauce is amazing.
I had to do a stint of dairy and gluten free for a little while for health reasons and that in turn meant I had to get really creative in the kitchen, so that I didn't miss out on foods I loved.
I soon realised that there are a huge amount of people out there, who can not consume certain ingredients - gluten and dairy being the main ones, and so I got lots of messages of thanks, when recipes that were free of these ingredients started appearing on my blog.
Since then, where possible, if I can suggest a gluten/dairy free option I will on the majority of my recipes and occasionally like this recipe here, create it totally free of those ingredients just because it tastes damn good.
When I make this Chicken with Creamy Mushroom Sauce, I often like to serve it with my Roasted Cauliflower rice - if you haven't yet tried this you really must, it's a great way to add speed foods to your plate.
If the only time you have tried cauliflower rice was by cooking it in the microwave and hated it, then you really need to give it another try. The flavour it takes on when roasted is delicious and served against the creamy mushroom sauce of this chicken dish, it's a perfect combination.
Of course if you really do not want the cauliflower you can serve this Chicken With Creamy Mushroom Sauce, with any side you like.
So how do you make a creamy sauce without dairy? - the key is coconut milk and please use the full fat stuff that comes in a can - but wait, I hear you shout, we can't have full fat on Slimming Eats. Well actually we can have anything we like, and despite the full fat, the small amount you need for this recipe is really not too high in calories. It's totally worth it.
I like to use Aroy-d coconut milk as the ingredients are just coconut extract and water, some coconut milks have stabilisers in them and all kind of other ingredients, also the coconut extract to water ratio can vary, so different coconut milks will have different values.
Chicken with Creamy Mushroom Sauce
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, raw (approx 170g each)
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 200g (7oz) of mushrooms, sliced
- ⅓ cup (80ml) of coconut milk, canned (or can use single cream or half and half)
- ⅔ cup (180ml) of chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon of wholegrain mustard
- 1 tablespoon of cornstarch, arrowroot or tapioca flour
- salt and black pepper to season
- low calorie spray
- Place chicken breasts in between some cling film and flatten with a meat mallet.
- Season well with salt and black pepper.
- Spray a frying pan over a medium high heat with some spray oil. Add the onion and fry to soften. Add the garlic and fry for a further few mins.
- Add the mushrooms and a little more spray oil and continue to fry until mushrooms are golden.
- In the meantime, spray another frying pan with some spray oil and add the flattened chicken breasts, frying on each side until golden and cooked through.
- When mushrooms are golden, stir in the mustard, stock and coconut milk.
- Add the starch to a small bowl and mix to a paste with a little water. Add this into the mushrooms and keep stirring under a low heat until the sauce starts to thicken. Season as needed with salt and black pepper
- Serve the sauce over the chicken breasts with your choice of sides. I served with sauteed spinach and cauliflower rice.
Please see below for full nutritional info and additional details about recipe:
- Calories - scroll down to nutritional info box
- WW Points and other Slimming or Weight Loss programs - due to plans regularly changing and updating, we recommend calculating with the official tools you get as a member to those plans to ensure accuracy of values.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided at top of this post.
DO NOT COPY AND/OR PASTE FULL RECIPES OR SCREENSHOTS OF ANY CONTENT FROM SLIMMING EATS TO ANY SOCIAL MEDIA OR WEBSITE, IT IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
ALL IMAGES AND CONTENT ON SLIMMING EATS ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED
Nutritional information etc are an estimate and are to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary in values from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate values yourself by the ingredients you use and the tools provided to you as a member of the programme you are following.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 2 Serving Size 1 SERVING
Amount Per Serving Calories 320Total Fat 8gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 127mgSodium 265mgCarbohydrates 14gFiber 2gSugar 5gProtein 46g
Nutritional information and valuesetc are an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate by the ingredients you use.
Absolutely amazing tasty dish