Tender Chicken with Creamy Mushroom Sauce, you can't get much better than that.
Most creamy sauces involve dairy of some sort. So when you think dairy free, you think oh no you can't possibly create a creamy sauce - wrong!! You can and this sauce is amazing.
I had to do a stint of dairy and gluten free for a little while for health reasons and that in turn meant I had to get really creative in the kitchen, so that I didn't miss out on foods I loved.
I soon realised that there are a huge amount of people out there, who can not consume certain ingredients - gluten and dairy being the main ones, and so I got lots of messages of thanks, when recipes that were free of these ingredients started appearing on my blog.
Since then, where possible, if I can suggest a gluten/dairy free option I will on the majority of my recipes and occasionally like this recipe here, create it totally free of those ingredients just because it tastes damn good.
When I make this Chicken with Creamy Mushroom Sauce, I often like to serve it with my Roasted Cauliflower rice - if you haven't yet tried this you really must, it's a great way to add speed foods to your plate.
If the only time you have tried cauliflower rice was by cooking it in the microwave and hated it, then you really need to give it another try. The flavour it takes on when roasted is delicious and served against the creamy mushroom sauce of this chicken dish, it's a perfect combination.
Of course if you really do not want the cauliflower you can serve this Chicken With Creamy Mushroom Sauce, with any side you like.
So how do you make a creamy sauce without dairy? - the key is coconut milk and please use the full fat stuff that comes in a can - but wait, I hear you shout, we can't have full fat on Slimming World. Well actually we can have anything we like, so long as we syn it, and despite the full fat, the small amount you need for this recipe is really not too high in syns. It's totally worth it.
I like to use Aroy-d coconut milk as the ingredients are just coconut extract and water, some coconut milks have stabilisers in them and all kind of other ingredinets, also the coconut extract to water ratio can vary, so different coconut milks will have different values. The syns are for the aroy-d coconut milk, but if you use a different one to this, be sure to check syn value as it may differ slightly.
Extra Easy - 3 syns per serving
Original/SP - 3 syns per serving
WW Smart Points - 5
- 2 chicken breasts
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 200g of cremini mushrooms, sliced
- ¼ cup of coconut milk (4.5 syns) (you can substitute with a ¼ cup of single cream or half and half in place of this, but syns will need to be adjusted)
- 1 cup of chicken broth
- 1 tsp of wholegrain mustard (0.5 syns)
- 1 tbs of arrowroot powder, cornstarch or tapioca powder(1.5 syns)
- Salt and black pepper
- spray oil
- Place chicken breasts inbetween some cling film and flatten with a meat mallet.
- Season well with salt and black pepper.
- Spray a frying pan over a medium high heat with some spray oil. Add the onion and fry to soften. Add the garlic and fry for a further few mins.
- Add the mushrooms and a little more spray oil and continue to fry until mushrooms are golden.
- In the meantime, spray another frying pan with some spray oil and add the flattened chicken breasts, frying on each side until golden and cooked through.
- When mushrooms are golden, stir in the mustard, broth and coconut milk.
- Add the arrowroot powder to a small bowl and mix to a paste with a little water. Add this into the mushrooms and keep stirring under a low heat until the sauce starts to thicken. Season as needed with salt and black pepper
- Serve the sauce over the chicken breasts with your choice of sides. I served with sauteed spinach and cauliflower rice.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full.