Low Syn Chinese Cashew Chicken – amazingly tender pieces of chicken in a delicious sauce with cashew nuts and vegetables.
Did you know you can enjoy certain nuts as a healthy extra b choice on Slimming World?
Most of us tend to use that choice on bread or cereal etc, but there are quite a few different raw nuts you can enjoy.
Guess what that means? You can create this yummy Chinese Cashew Chicken dish in your home using hardly any syns. Yum!
First things first though, In this recipe I will introduce some of you to a brilliant Chinese Method of cooking meat called “velveting” which keeps the meat really tender in stir fries etc.
If you have ever wondered how the meat is never tough or dry in dishes you order from the Chinese then is most likely due to velveting.
I was first introduced to this method by a friend who’s wife just happens to be Chinese and owns her own Chinese restaurant. I was eager to give it a try myself and oh my gosh, what a difference it makes.
There are various different methods of velveting out there, some involving lots of oil, but for a healthier alternative. I have this super low syn version that is perfect for cuts of beef, chicken and pork for any stir fry or fast cooking of meat dishes you want to try.
To velvet meat:
I marinate the chicken (meat) in a mixture of cornstarch, rice vinegar, water and salt, then once left for about 15 minutes, it’s dropped into a saucepan of bubbling hot water and left for about 1-2 minutes until meat turns white, then simply remove with a slotted spoon and it can be stir-fried.
A very Simple easy technique but a method you will use again and again when doing fast frying recipes involving meat.
Want some other delicious Chinese Fakeaway dishes to pair up with this Chinese Cashew Chicken? Then check out some of these:
- LOW SYN GINGER CHICKEN WITH MUSHROOMS AND NOODLES
- ACTIFRY SWEET AND SOUR CHICKEN BITES
- CHICKEN CHOP SUEY
- BEEF WITH MUSHROOMS IN OYSTER SAUCE
- LOW SYN BEEF CHOW MEIN
- SYN FREE CHICKEN SINGAPORE NOODLES CHILLI BEEF (STOVE TOP AND ACTIFRY)
- CHICKEN FRIED RICE
- LOW SYN GINGER BEEF AND BROCCOLI
- LOW SYN CHINESE PORK
- EGG FRIED RICE
- SPRING ROLLS
- CHINESE BLACK PEPPER BEEF
or head on over to my Full Recipe Index with over 850 delicious Slimming World and Weight Watchers recipes all fully searchable by meal type, ingredients, syn value and smart points etc.
How can I add a 1/3 speed foods to this Cashew Chicken?
This recipe comes packed with peppers and onion, but it’s always good to add additional vegetables to your plate where possible, some Bok Choy or tender stem broccoli would be a great addition to the side.
You could even serve with this Cauliflower Egg Fried Rice instead of regular rice.
Kitchen Items used in this Chinese Cashew Chicken:
- Kitchen Scales
- Measuring Spoons
- Measuring Cups
- Wooden Spoon
- Santoku Knife (perfect knife for chopping veg)
- Chopping Board
- Mixing Bowls
- Non-Stick Frying Pan
- Large Saucepan
- Slotted Spoon
- 400g (16oz) of boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into pieces
- 1 tbs of cornstarch
- 1 tbs of rice vinegar
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 45 raw cashews - 3xHEb's
- 1 red pepper, chopped into pieces
- 1 green pepper, chopped into pieces
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 tbs of oyster sauce (I used Lee Kum Kee premium)
- 1 tbs of soy sauce
- 1/3 cup (80ml) of water
- 1 tsp of toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 tbs of maple syrup (or honey)
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 tbs of freshly grated ginger
- cooking oil spray (I use avocado)
- Pat chicken dry, and add to a bowl with the cornstarch, rice vinegar and salt, mix to coat all the chicken and set aside to marinate for about 15 minutes.
- When chicken has marinated for specified time, Fill a large saucepan with water and bring to a boil, then reduce heat slightly just so it bubbles gently. Add chicken and cook in water until it just turns white (1-2 minutes), then remove with a slotted spoon.
- Spray a large frying pan over a medium high heat with some cooking oil spray, add the raw cashews with a little pinch of salt and fry until lightly lightly golden/toasted. Remove and set aside.
- Add the sesame oil to the frying pan and once hot, add the chicken and onion and fry fo a couple of minutes until chicken is lightly browned.
- Add in the peppers, green onion, garlic and ginger and fry for a further couple of minutes.
- Add in the oyster sauce, soy sauce, water and maple syrup (or honey).
- Toss to cover on a medium heat until the sauce thickens and just coats the chicken and vegetables and then add back in the cashews. Stir to combine.
- Serve and enjoy!!
This recipe is dairy free, Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly
- Slimming World - 3 Syns and 1 HEb per serving
- WW Flex/Freestyle Smart Points - 7 per serving
*suitable for freezing
NOTE: can use stock instead of water if you prefer, but due to the sodium content of soy sauce, I prefer to use water.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided.
Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full.
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information.
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
503 - Service Unavailable Error
Skimmer Slotted Spoon, [Rustproof, Integral Forming, Durable] Newness 304 Stainless Steel Slotted Spoon with Vacuum Ergonomic Handle, Comfortable Grip Design Strainer Ladle for Kitchen, 38 cm
Lee Kum Kee Panda Oyster Sauce 255 g (Pack of 4)
Argo Corn Starch 454g
Cashew Nuts 1kg - 100% Raw Whole Cashews 1 kg Bag - Extra Large Premium Quality Nut - Source of Protein & Fibre - Gluten Free, Non-GMO & Vegan
Nutrition Information:Yield: 3 Serving Size: 1 SERVING
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 350 Total Fat: 13.9g Saturated Fat: 4.3g Carbohydrates: 24.9g Fiber: 2.8g Sugar: 11.1g Protein: 33.1g
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free and/or dairy-free, for example) or Vegetarian friendly. Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only
Looking for some additional support on your weight loss journey? Did you know Slimming Eats has a friendly Slimming World Facebook Support Group where you can get daily meal ideas and recipe ideas? Come and check us out, we’d love to have you join.
Looking for some other recipes? Head on over to my RECIPE INDEX for over 850 Slimming World & Weight Watchers recipes for you to browse through, all fully searchable by meal type, Ingredients, syn value and WW Smart Points etc
DID YOU ? I'D TO SEE IT!THIS
Snap a photo and hashtag #slimmingeats or tag me @slimmingeats on INSTAGRAM
Are you on facebook? Then be sure to come and like me on FACEBOOK
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full.