Seasoned Chicken with Rich Gravy - deliciously tender chicken thighs with seasoning and herbs paired with a delicious rich gravy.
Seasoned Chicken Thighs
Tonight my side were decided before the main part of my dinner, mainly because I had baby golden potatoes to use up as well as some carrots and broccoli.
With my crushed roasted potatoes already decided and just keeping the vegetables simple I decided on some chicken thighs with a blend of seasonings and herbs for flavour and then a delicious quick and simple low fat gravy, because when it comes to chicken, potatoes and veg - gravy is a must.
Can I use Chicken Breast?
While you can use chicken breast if that is what you prefer, you will always get much more flavour when it comes to chicken thighs and they will stay nice and tender. The gravy is made from the seasonings and flavour left in the pan from the chicken thighs, so you gravy might not be quite as delicious if you choose to use breast.
I tend to use fat free chicken stock which comes in a carton here in Canada and it's much fresher in taste. If you are using stock cubes always ensure you look at the packaging so that you use the correct amount for how many mls you need. Otherwise your stock will be watery in taste if you don't use enough or too salty if you use too much.
How I cooked my Vegetables
For the vegetables that I served here, if you fancy doing the same, I kept it really really simple.
The broccoli was roasted at 200c/fan 180c/400f on a baking tray lined with parchment and sprayed with olive oil spray until golden on the edges. I simple just add a pinch of sea salt and black pepper for seasoning, but add some chilli flakes if you like a spicy kick and some mince garlic for a garlicky flavour.
For the carrots I just cooked in water until fork tender, drained and again seasoned with a little salt and black pepper. See how easy that was?
You may be wondering, but hey what are those ball I see in the picture and if you want to include those with your chicken. Those delicious bites are my bulgur wheat stuffing balls - a perfect side for any meal where gravy is concerned.
Want the recipe? Get it here Bulgur Wheat Sage Stuffing Balls
Other Side Ideas for Seasoned Chicken
Some other great sides that would pair well with the seasoned chicken are:
- Scalloped Potatoes
- Brussel Sprout and Bacon Gratin
- Leek and Potato Bake
- Garlic and Herb Roast Potatoes
- Sweet Potato Mash
- Cheddar and Spring Onion Mashed Potatoes
or for a lower carb option : Cauliflower Sour Cream and Spring Onion Mash
or head on over to my Full Recipe Index with over 900 delicious Slimming Eats and Weight Watchers friendly recipes all fully searchable by meal type, ingredients, value and smart points etc
come and follow me TO MAKE SURE YOU KEEP UP TO DATE ON ALL NEW RECIPES.
You can also subscribe to Slimming Eats so that you never miss any new updates.
Need extra Support? Come check out my amazing Facebook Support Group
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE, LET US KNOW! LEAVE A COMMENT, RATE IT AND TAG US IN YOUR PHOTOS @SLIMMINGEATS ON INSTAGRAM
- 6 small boneless skinless chicken thighs, uncooked (approx 21oz/600g)
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- ½ teaspoon of dried parsley
- pinch of dried thyme
- pinch of dried rosemary
- ½ teaspoon of garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon of coarse sea salt
- pinch of black pepper
For the gravy:
- 2 cups (480ml) of chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon of cornstarch (cornflour)
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
- ½ teaspoon of onion powder
- ½ teaspoon of garlic powder
- pinch of dried thyme
- splash of balsamic vinegar
- low calorie cooking oil spray (I used Olive Oil)
- fresh parsley to garnish
- Add all the season for the chicken to a bowl and mix to combine.
- Rub it all into the chicken thighs.
- Spray a frying pan placed over a medium high heat with some cooking oil spray.
- Once hot add the chicken thighs, and cook on each side until really golden and brown. (approx 5 minutes each side).
- Then add a lid, turn down heat and continue to cook for a couple more minutes until cooked through.
- Remove the chicken thighs and set aside.
- Add the stock to the pan that you cooked the chicken in, ensuring you deglaze the pan fully by scraping up all the flavour in the pan from cooking the chicken as you heat the stock.
- Add in the onion, garlic powder, tomato paste, pinch of thyme and splash of balsamic vinegar and stir to combine.
- Mix the cornstarch with a couple of tablespoon of water to make a slurry and pour this into the pan.
- Turn up heat and stir until it thickens into a rich gravy.
- Then you can serve this alongside the chicken in a gravy jug or add the chicken back into the pan with the gravy.
- Garnish chicken with fresh parsley.
Please see below for full nutritional info and additional details about recipe:
- Calories - scroll down to nutritional info box
- WW Points and other Slimming or Weight Loss programs - due to plans regularly changing and updating, we recommend calculating with the official tools you get as a member to those plans to ensure accuracy of values.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided at top of this post.
DO NOT COPY AND/OR PASTE FULL RECIPES OR SCREENSHOTS OF ANY CONTENT FROM SLIMMING EATS TO ANY SOCIAL MEDIA OR WEBSITE, IT IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
ALL IMAGES AND CONTENT ON SLIMMING EATS ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED
Nutritional information etc are an estimate and are to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary in values from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate values yourself by the ingredients you use and the tools provided to you as a member of the programme you are following.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 3 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 285Total Fat 12gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 8gCholesterol 163mgSodium 823mgCarbohydrates 4.3gFiber 0.7gSugar 0.2gProtein 44.8g
Nutritional information, values, points etc are an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate by the ingredients you use.