This Ricotta Spinach Topped Chicken is a family-friendly recipe - tender chicken breasts resting atop a luscious tomato sauce, crowned with a generous dollop of creamy, garlicky ricotta cheese, and spinach.
Remember this Ricotta and Spinach Stuffed Pasta recipe I shared a little while ago? It's been such a hit and comes packed with flavour
However, for those of you who crave a delicious higher protein-packed dish, look no further than this Ricotta Spinach Topped Chicken. Seriously, what's not to love? Every element comes together seamlessly, and I could easily enjoy this dish week after week, it's simply that delightful.
Calories in Ricotta Spinach Topped Chicken
These delicious Ricotta Spinach Topped Chicken serves four people and has 367 calories per serving (no sides).
If you're looking for more recipes within the same calorie range, you'll find an abundance of options in my dedicated collection of 300+ calorie recipes.
If you're following a calorie-controlled diet or a healthy eating plan, it's important to calculate your daily calorie intake using a reliable calorie calculator. Please note that the calorie counts provided are estimates and can vary based on specific ingredients and serving sizes. Personalizing your calculations is essential to meet your individual needs. By using a calorie calculator, you can make informed choices and stay on track with your dietary goals.
Ricotta Spinach Topped Chicken Ingredients
To prepare theis Moroccan Chicken Casserole, here are some notes on the ingredients used:
- Chicken Breast: This recipe calls for small skinless and boneless chicken breasts. If you prefer you can use boneless skinless chicken thighs. I recommend 2 small thighs per person. So 8 for the recipe.
- Onion: I use a regular white onion
- Garlic: fresh garlic minced, but lazy or jarred mince garlic is fine also.
- Herbs: Dried Mixed Herbs or Italian seasoning
- Tomatoes - A mixture of passata (sieved tomatoes) and tomato paste (puree) a concentrated paste is used in this recipe. Passata can be subbed for canned crushed tomatoes.
- Stock: It's crucial to use the right ratio of stock cubes for the required amount of stock. Not all stock cubes are the same, and using the wrong amount can result in either a bland and watery broth or an overly salty stock.
- Spinach - use fresh spinach for this dish.
- Ricotta - Ricotta is a creamy Italian cheese made from whey, found in most grocery stores' dairy or cheese sections.
- Egg - fresh large egg
- Cheese - a mixture of parmesan for flavour and mozzarella for that melted cheesy goodness.
- Low Calorie Spray: use your preferred brand. I like to opt for one without any emulsifiers, such as a avocado or olive oil spray.
- Salt and Pepper: These essential flavour enhancers play a crucial role in elevating the taste of your dishes. We use them to season the steak bites and recommend using them to season the final dish to taste as well. They ensure your food is never bland when used appropriately.
Once you've gathered all the ingredients and prepared them accordingly, you're all set to create this easy and delightful recipe.
See the recipe card for specific quantities and instructions.
Tips for Cooking the Ricotta Spinach Topped Chicken
To streamline the cooking process and minimize cleanup, begin by browning the chicken and preparing the ricotta spinach topping. Next, use an oven-safe casserole dish that's suitable for stovetop and oven cooking to create the tomato sauce base.
Once the sauce is ready, simply incorporate the chicken and ricotta topping, then transfer the dish directly to the oven for baking. This approach significantly reduces the number of pots and pans needed for your meal preparation.
Best Pans for Stove Top and Oven Cooking
When it comes to versatile cooking, having the right pans that can seamlessly transition from stove to oven is a game-changer. Here are some of the best options to elevate your culinary experience:
- Cast Iron Skillets: Perfect for searing and roasting.
- Oven-Safe Stainless Steel: Great for casseroles and gratins.
- Nonstick with Oven-Safe Handles: Ideal for omelets and baked dishes.
- Versatile Dutch Ovens: Master stews and braised meats.
- Enamel-Coated Cast Iron: For even heat in deep-dish creations.
- Oven-Safe Glass/Ceramic: Great for layered dishes.
Remember to always check the manufacturer's recommendations for your specific pan, as oven-safe temperatures can vary. With the right pans, you'll have endless possibilities for stovetop and oven cooking.
Sides for Ricotta Spinach Topped Chicken
This Ricotta Spinach Topped Chicken pairs well with a variety of different sides, I like to pair it with a simple salad of baby greens, cooked beets and cucumber.
Some other great options are:
- Garlic and Herb Potatoes
- Garlic French Green Beans
- Pasta: Serve the chicken over your favorite pasta, such as spaghetti or fettuccine, for a hearty meal.
- Steamed Broccoli: Lightly steamed broccoli florets drizzled with olive oil and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.
- Cauliflower Mash: Creamy cauliflower mash is a low-carb alternative to traditional mashed potatoes.
- Rice: Fluffy white or brown rice makes a great base for the ricotta spinach topped chicken and sauce.
- Baked Potatoes: Serve with baked or mashed potatoes for a comforting side.
- Grilled or Roasted Asparagus: Season and grill asparagus spears for a smoky and crisp side dish.
More Low Calorie Chicken Breast Recipes
Want some more low calorie chicken breast recipes? check out all these delicious options:
- Grilled Chicken Breast Stuffed with Mozzarella
- Spicy Chicken Stuffed with Feta Cheese and Salsa
- The Ultimate Pizza Chicken
- Chicken in Creamy Sun-dried Tomato Sauce
- Spanish Chicken and Rice
or if you would like more recipe ideas or sides to make with this recipe - head on over to the FULL RECIPE INDEX where you will find over 900 delicious recipes with calories and you can search by meal type, ingredients, course, diet and more.
All recipes on Slimming Eats have estimated nutritional information for your convenience.
Come and follow me on:
You can also Subscribe to Slimming Eats so that you never miss any new updates.
Need some support on your weight loss journey? Maybe you need advice or tips on a recipe, or just general meal ideas.