Delicious speedy Mushroom, Bacon, Tomato and Zucchini Pasta - a simple but delicious pasta recipe that the whole family will love.
Easy Bacon Tomato Pasta Recipe
Meals don't need to be complicated, especially when trying to up the vegetables on your plate
If you are not a big veggie lover, adding them to some pasta like this, makes them much more appealing.
My kids for example (especially my youngest), can be quite fussy when it comes to the good ole vegetable stuff. It seems if I add a vegetable to her plate as it is, she will not touch it at all, but added to a sauce with pasta and it goes fast.
Hidden Vegetables in Pasta
If some of your family are really fussy when it comes to vegetables, then you may want to try finely grated the vegetables instead, or you could even blend up the whole sauce with everything hidden in it.
If you do decide to try that with this recipe, you may need to loosen the sauce a bit more with some stock or pasta water.
What is the best bacon to use?
Usually here in Canada we only get the streaky kind of bacon, which can be quite high in calories for some brand as it's quite fatty. Although if that is what you want to use and count in this recipe, then there is absolutely no reason why you can't do that, only a little bit is used so it won't be too bad divided up into servings.
Occasionally I can get some lean smoked backed bacon here in Canada and so that is what I use in this recipe, calories are low but it has a nice smokey flavour which is great in the pasta.
If however you don't like smoked bacon you can use unsmoked if you prefer.
Can I use canned tomatoes?
When it comes to tomatoes in pasta recipe, add some fresh tomatoes really add amazing taste to a dish as they have a natural sweetness and no acidity like canned tomatoes.
However if canned is all you have, then feel free to make the swap, you just may want to add a little bit of sugar or granulated sweetness just to cut the acidity. You won't need much just a teaspoon or two is plenty usually.
Try and keep to a similar quantity thought if you do make the swap.
Best Tomatoes to Use for Pasta Dishes
I just used grape tomatoes in this recipe, keeping it nice and simple and I don't even peel them, just chop and in they go, you can also use grape tomatoes.
Large tomatoes are good too if that's all you have and It is absolutely find to leave the skin on those for this recipe too (it's all good fibre right?), but if you prefer no skins on your tomatoes you may be wondering what is the easiest way to peel a tomatoes.
One of the reasons many get put off using fresh tomatoes in sauces is because peeling the skin can seem like far too much hassle and effort.
While the method of scoring, blanching and then peeling fresh tomatoes can take a little longer, there is a much quicker method using a handy kitchen tool called a serrated peeler. It is perfect for soft fruits and vegetables as the little teeth grip the skin peeling it effortlessly and super quick too. Not to be mistaken with a regular vegetable peeler that doesn't have the little serrated teeth.
I have this Kuhn Rikon Serrated Peeler which you can find on Amazon, but there are various other ones availablee out there.
(As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases).
Can I use spray oil?
I prefer to use a small amount of extra virgin olive oil in this recipe, it adds real depth and flavour to the ingredients that is just not achievable with spray oils.
If you really don't like to use calories on oil, then by all means try with an olive oil spray, but for best results I recommend using the oil. It's not many calories for a tablespoon in a recipe that serves 4 people and it well worth it.
Sides for Mushroom, Bacon and Tomato Pasta
There is a good serving of healthy vegetables included this recipe so if you just want to enjoy a bowl/plate of this, then why not?
However to make a really filling meal, you can also serve this alongside a big mixed salad. I like to serve the salad in the middle of the table in a big bowl so everyone can help themselves. Some of my favourite items are:
- Baby Greens
- Crisp Lettuce
- Red Onion
- Cooked Beets
- Grated Carrot
and then you can serve with a low calories dressing of choice or make this yummy Light Ranch Dressing to go with it.
More Pasta Recipes
Love pasta recipes? Check out some of these
- One Pot Creamy Cheesy Leek Pasta
- One Pot Cheeseburger Pasta
- One Pot Chicken and Asparagus Pasta
- One Pot Beef Fajita Pasta
- Creamy Garlic Pasta
- One Pot Shrimp Pasta
- Roasted Green Bean and Tomato Pasta
- One Pot Creamy Zucchini Pasta
- Best Ever Spaghetti Carbonara
or if you would like more recipe ideas - head on over to the FULL RECIPE INDEX where you will find over 900 delicious recipes and can search by ingredients, course, diet and more.
All with estimated calories and Slimming Eats and Weight Watchers Smart Points values.
Come and follow me on:
FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST
TWITTER, TIK TOK and YOUTUBE
You can also subscribe to Slimming Eats
so that you never miss any new updates.
Need some extra Support? Come and check out my Facebook Group
If you try this recipe, let us know!
Leave a Comment, Rate It and Tag us in your
Photos @SLIMMINGEATS on INSTAGRAM
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- 4 Slices of Lean Smoked Bacon, chopped
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 8 mushrooms, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 grape or cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1.25 cup (300mlml) of chicken stock
- 1 cup (240g) of passata (or use canned crushed tomatoes)
- 2 tablespoon of tomato paste (puree)
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon of dried Basil
- 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
- 1 courgette (zucchini), quartered lengthways and sliced
- 280g (9.9oz) dried pasta of choice (I used penne)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- fresh parsley, chopped
- Add the bacon to frying pan over medium high heat and cook until lightly golden, remove and set aside
- Heat olive oil in pan and then add the onion and fry until softened.
- Add in the mushrooms, garlic and about 60ml of the stock and reduce down around the mushrooms and cook until golden. Add in grape tomatoes and cook until slightly softened.
- Add in the passata, tomato paste, dried herbs, stock and balsamic vinegar.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until sauce thickens, approx 10-12 mins, add in the courgette (zucchini) for last 5 minutes.
- Place pasta in a saucepan of hot salted water and cook until al dente. Reserve ⅓ (80ml) of the pasta water, then drain the rest of the water from the pasta.
- Add the cooked pasta into the sauce along with the reserved pasta water and stir until all coated in the sauce.
- Stir in the cooked bacon and some chopped Italian parsley until warmed through and taste and season as needed with salt and black pepper.
- Optional, sprinkle with a little fresh grated parmesan or cheddar.
Please see below for full nutritional info and additional details about recipe:
- Calories - scroll down to nutritional info box
- WW Points and other Slimming or Weight Loss programs - due to plans regularly changing and updating, we recommend calculating with the official tools you get as a member to those plans to ensure accuracy of values.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided at top of this post.
DO NOT COPY AND/OR PASTE FULL RECIPES OR SCREENSHOTS OF ANY CONTENT FROM SLIMMING EATS TO ANY SOCIAL MEDIA OR WEBSITE, IT IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
ALL IMAGES AND CONTENT ON SLIMMING EATS ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED
Nutritional information etc are an estimate and are to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary in values from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate values yourself by the ingredients you use and the tools provided to you as a member of the programme you are following.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1 SERVING
Amount Per Serving Calories 407Total Fat 6gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gCholesterol 7mgSodium 437mgCarbohydrates 67gFiber 5gSugar 14gProtein 17g
Nutritional information, values, points etc are an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate by the ingredients you use.