This is the best ever spaghetti carbonara - seriously!! A perfect and delicious quick dinner for the whole family
I wanted to put together a spaghetti carbonara recipe (one of my fav pasta dishes ever) that was still really yummy but also light on the calories to a traditional carbonara and oh boy! did I achieve that. It is delicious.
If anyone is disappointed after making this, I will seriously eat my words lol
When coming up with this recipe, I didn't want to use quark or anything like that, as I hate the tangy taste it gives to pasta and the little stock trick I use for sauteing veggies without the need for oil, works wonders in this, as it also adds to the flavour.
The traditional Carbonara recipes do not have mushrooms added, but if you want to add some speed foods to this, then they compliment it really nicely.
Otherwise I serve with a nice mixed salad.
For those following Weight Watchers, use half the cheese in the recipe to bring the nutritional information down slightly.
Come and follow me on:
FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST
TWITTER, TIK TOK and YOUTUBE
You can also subscribe to Slimming Eats
so that you never miss any new updates.
Need some extra Support? Come and check out my Facebook Group
If you try this recipe, let us know!
Leave a Comment, Rate It and Tag us in your
Photos @SLIMMINGEATS on INSTAGRAM
- 140g (5oz) uncooked spaghetti (gluten free can be used)
- 4 slices of lean back bacon (fat removed), chopped up
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 30g (1oz) finely grated parmesan
- salt and black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 240ml (1 cup) of chicken or vegetable stock
- ⅓ cup (80ml) of the pasta liquid (once pasta is cooked)
- spray oil
- 30g (1oz) of parmesan
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Cook pasta according to the packet instructions.
- Drain, but keep ⅓ cup of the cooking liquid.
- Combine 30g/1oz oft the cheese, egg, egg yolk and a little salt and pepper in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Gradually add the reserved ⅓ cup cooking liquid (this ensures the egg doesn't scramble when you add it to the pasta) to egg mixture, stirring constantly with a whisk. Set aside.
- Spray a large nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat with some spray oil. Add the bacon and cook until golden. Remove bacon and set aside.
- Add the onion and garlic (also mushrooms if you are adding those) to the pan, and sauté until golden.
- This is where you will need the stock, if the mushrooms, onions and garlic start to stick, keep adding a little of the stock and continue this process until the stock is almost gone and the mushrooms and onion have a nice golden color.
- Add the pasta and bacon back to the pan; reduce heat and mix thoroughly.
- Add the egg mixture, remove from heat and toss in pan to evenly coat.
- Divide equally among two plates, season with salt and black pepper and sprinkle with some fresh parsley and the remaining parmesan cheese.
Please see below for recipe values:
This recipe is gluten free friendly (see notes)
- Slimming World – 1 Healthy Extra per serving
- WW Flex/Freestyle Smart Points - 14 (using only 30g of parmesan)
- Gluten Free: use gluten free stock and pasta)
- Vegetarian: swap the bacon for a meat free substitute and use vegetarian hard cheese.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided at top of this post.
DO NOT COPY AND/OR PASTE FULL RECIPES OR SCREENSHOTS OF ANY CONTENT FROM SLIMMING EATS TO ANY SOCIAL MEDIA OR WEBSITE, IT IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
ALL IMAGES AND CONTENT ON SLIMMING EATS ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED.
Nutritional information, Slimming World syn values and WW points etc are an estimate and are to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary in values from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate values yourself by the ingredients you use and the tools provided to you as a member of the programme you are following.
Slimming Eats is in no way connected, affiliated or endorsed by Slimming World or Weight Watchers. We recommend that you consult with a Slimming World or WW Consultant to verify accuracy of values at a group meeting or through an online subscription to those plans.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationServing Size 1 SERVING
Amount Per Serving Calories 547Total Fat 19.9gSaturated Fat 9.9gSodium 1586.0mgCarbohydrates 52gFiber 5gSugar 6.6gProtein 37.5g