This is the best ever syn free spaghetti carbonara - seriously!!
I wanted to put together a syn free spaghetti carbonara recipe (one of my fav pasta dishes ever) that was still really yummy but also syn free on Slimming World and oh boy! did I achieve that. It is delicious.
If anyone is disappointed after making this, I will seriously eat my words lol
When coming up with this recipe, I didn't want to use quark or anything like that, as I hate the tangy taste it gives to pasta and the little stock trick I use for sauteing veggies without the need for oil, works wonders in this, as it also adds to the flavour.
The traditional Carbonara recipes do not have mushrooms added, but if you want to add some speed foods to this, then they compliment it really nicely.
Otherwise I serve with a nice mixed salad.
For those following Weight Watchers, use half the cheese in the recipe to bring the nutritional information down slightly.
If you are looking for some other delicious syn free or low syn pasta dishes, check out my other recipes here: Low Syn and Syn Free Pasta recipes
- 140g (5oz) uncooked spaghetti (gluten free can be used)
- 4 slices of lean back bacon (fat removed), chopped up
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 30g (1oz) finely grated parmesan (1 HEa)
- salt and black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 240ml (1 cup) of chicken or vegetable stock
- ⅓ cup (80ml) of the pasta liquid (once pasta is cooked)
- spray oil
- 30g (1oz) of parmesan (1 HEa)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Cook pasta according to the packet instructions.
- Drain, but keep ⅓ cup of the cooking liquid.
- Combine 30g/1oz oft the cheese, egg, egg yolk and a little salt and pepper in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Gradually add the reserved ⅓ cup cooking liquid (this ensures the egg doesn't scramble when you add it to the pasta) to egg mixture, stirring constantly with a whisk. Set aside.
- Spray a large nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat with some spray oil. Add the bacon and cook until golden. Remove bacon and set aside.
- Add the onion and garlic (also mushrooms if you are adding those) to the pan, and sauté until golden.
- This is where you will need the stock, if the mushrooms, onions and garlic start to stick, keep adding a little of the stock and continue this process until the stock is almost gone and the mushrooms and onion have a nice golden color.
- Add the pasta and bacon back to the pan; reduce heat and mix thoroughly.
- Add the egg mixture, remove from heat and toss in pan to evenly coat.
- Divide equally among two plates, season with salt and black pepper and sprinkle with some fresh parsley and the remaining parmesan cheese.
This recipe is gluten free, Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly
- Slimming World – 1 HEa per serving
- WW Flex/Freestyle Smart Points - 14 (using only 30g of parmesan)
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided.
Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full.
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
Amount Per Serving Calories 613Total Fat 23.5gSaturated Fat 10.5gCholesterol 208.7mgSodium 1586.0mgCarbohydrates 62.6gFiber 4.4gSugar 1.9gProtein 46.5g