What else can I say - Bacon, Mushroom and Sun-Dried Tomato Pasta.
There is something special about bacon and sun-dried tomatoes, it is just like they are meant to be combined together and well adding some pasta to, is a dish made in heaven.
Most pasta dishes you just expect lots of sauce, this Bacon, Mushroom and Sun-Dried Tomato Pasta is one of those dishes that doesn't need a sauce, the flavours of every little ingredient are enough on their own, a sauce would just drown that flavour.
I mean come on, what is not to love? bacon, mushrooms, onions, garlic, sun-dried tomatoes, pasta and basil. Am I making you drool yet?
Normally when you saute mushrooms, they need lots of butter to taste amazing, but in this dish, I give instructions for a very clever trick using stock. Add a little bit of stock at a time to cook the mushrooms, do something magical, almost as if you did fry them in the butter, but without the syns. They get a lovely colour and don't go all dry. I also cook my mushrooms using this method and you will do too, once you try it.
I like to add a little parmesan from my healthy extra a choice, but if you don't have a healthy extra spare, it is delicious without, the parmesan just takes it up a notch. Also, this Bacon, Mushroom and Sun-Dried Tomato Pasta can be made gluten-free if you use gluten-free pasta. I always choose brown rice pasta, as I find it is the closest in taste and texture to regular pasta.
Make up a big mixed salad for the side, to up your speed foods and this is a great family meal. My kids love it, even more, oldest who isn't the biggest fan of mushrooms on their own, he will eat them in this dish.
Looking for some other pasta recipes? Check out these below:
or head on over to my Full Recipe Index with over 900 delicious Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly recipes all fully searchable by meal type, ingredients, syn value and smart points etc
- 160g of uncooked pasta
- 30g of Sun-Dried Tomatoes (not in oil) - 3 syns
- 4 slices of lean back bacon or Canadian bacon
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 150g of mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup/240ml of chicken stock
- Fresh basil
- salt and black pepper
- cooking oil spray
- Optional: parmesan from your HEa choice (omit if dairy free)
- Place the sundried tomatoes into a bowl, cover with boiling hot water and allow to blanch for approx 2 mins.
- Add pasta to a pot of boiling hot water and cook till al dente, reserve a little pasta water and set the cooked pasta aside.
- Spray a frying pan over a medium high heat with spray oil
- Add the bacon and fry till light golden, remove and set aside
- Spray with more spray oil
- Add the onion and garlic and stir fry until softened
- Add the mushrooms and a little of the stock, keep adding the stock a little bit at a time, when that bit has reduced add some more, until the mushrooms have caramelized.
- Remove the sundried tomatoes from the water, and chop finelty
- Add into the pan along with the cooked bacon and some chopped fresh basil leaves.
- Fry for a further 5 mins.
- Add the cooked pasta and stir thoroughly.
- Add a little bit of the reserved pasta water just to coat.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle with some fresh chopped basil and the parmesan if using.
- Serve with a mixed side salad or other choice of sides
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full.
Nutrition InformationYield 2 Serving Size 1 SERVING
Amount Per Serving Calories 415Total Fat 4.5gSaturated Fat 1.2gCholesterol 1.3mgSodium 842.6mgCarbohydrates 76.7gFiber 5.9gSugar 7.1gProtein 21.2g