Bored of regular chilli? Then turn it into a pasta bake, with this delicious Mexican Pasta Bake - yum!!
You love chilli right? and you love a pasta bake? Well this Mexican Pasta Bake is just for you.
Rich tomatoey beef chilli with kidney beans (or black beans if you prefer), mixed with pasta and topped with cheese and then baked in the oven till it is all melted - delicious!!
Great served with a mixed salad or some vegetables of your choice. Hey if you are really hungry you could even make some Perfect Chips
This would also be delicious with some sour cream on top. Have I ever mentioned I LOVE sour cream. Especially with Mexican food.
If you want a vegetarian version of this, you can swap out the ground beef for lentils or a meat substitute, or instead use my Sweet Potato, Vegetable and Lentil Chilli
This dish is perfect for freezing and suitable for those who are gluten free if you use a gluten free pasta.
When we have this as a family meal, I serve in the middle of the table with some chopped tomatoes and low fat sour cream. But you can save the calories by using a fat free greek yoghurt seasoned with some salt and a little fresh lime juice. It would also be great with some avocado or guacamole for an additional few calories too.
So many great ways to serve this Mexican Pasta Bake. How will you enjoy yours?
- 450g (1lb) of extra lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 orange pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tin of kidney beans (or black beans), drained
- 360ml (1.5 cups) of passata
- 480ml (2 cups) of stock (vegetable or chicken)
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon of chilli powder
- 2 teaspoon of cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon of oregano
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- ½ teaspoon of cayenne pepper (add more of less depending on how much heat you prefer)
- 250g (9oz) of pasta of your choice (I used fusilli), gluten free pasta can be used
- 120g (4oz) of cheddar (4xHEa's), grated
- salt and black pepper
- olive oil spray
- Spray a pan over a medium high heat with olive oil spray
- Add onion and fry till softened.
- Add ground beef and garlic and cook until browned.
- Add in the chopped peppers, passata, stock, tomato paste, spices, herbs and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30mins until sauce thickens. Season as needed with salt and black pepper.
- Stir in black beans and remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 180c or 350f (gas mark 4)
- Cook pasta in boiling hot water until al dente, drain and mix together with the Mexican beef mix.
- Place in a oven proof dish and top with the grated cheddar.
- Bake in oven till cheese has melted and is golden, approx 30 mins.
Please see below for full nutritional info and additional details about recipe:
- Calories - scroll down to nutritional info box
- WW Points and other Slimming or Weight Loss programs - due to plans regularly changing and updating, we recommend calculating with the official tools you get as a member to those plans to ensure accuracy of values.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided at top of this post.
DO NOT COPY AND/OR PASTE FULL RECIPES OR SCREENSHOTS OF ANY CONTENT FROM SLIMMING EATS TO ANY SOCIAL MEDIA OR WEBSITE, IT IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
ALL IMAGES AND CONTENT ON SLIMMING EATS ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED
Nutritional information etc are an estimate and are to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary in values from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate values yourself by the ingredients you use and the tools provided to you as a member of the programme you are following.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
Nutrition InformationServing Size 1 SERVING
Amount Per Serving Calories 586Total Fat 12gSaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 33.6mgSodium 803.7mgCarbohydrates 79.4gFiber 11.1gSugar 6.4gProtein 25g