Simple delicious Spinach Pasta Bake - quick and easy to make pasta dish with healthy fresh spinach and a homemade tomato sauce.
Easy Spinach Pasta Bake
There is nothing like a simple homemade pasta bake for dinner, one where you can include some healthy vegetables and not be too time-consuming to make.
This healthy delicious Spinach Pasta Bake certainly ticks all the boxes.
Simple Pasta Sauce
Many of us rely on jarred pasta sauces to create meals, fearing it's too time-consuming to make one from scratch.
This simple pasta sauce uses ingredients most of us have on hand and is so quick to throw together. The added benefit being that it uses some hidden veggies too, another great way to sneak some additional vegetables into your meal.
A sauce like this is much tastier and fresher and is my go-to when I want a base sauce for any pasta bake.
Can you freeze pasta bakes?
It is definitely a question which is asked frequently and a valid question too.
Cooked pasta can have a tendency to go very soft when reheated.
The best way to freeze pasta bake is to portion it up in some glass food storage containers that are suitable for the oven prior to baking, that way you can bake straight from frozen and you don't end up with overcooked pasta.
Of course, if you have cooked it in one big dish and you have some leftover that you want to freeze, that is perfectly fine to freeze too, just be away the pasta will be softer when reheating.
Sides for Pasta Bake
As this yummy Spinach Pasta bake comes with hidden veggies in the sauce as well as that iron-rich spinach, I tend to enjoy this just as it is. But if you want a really filling meal, this is perfect paired up with some steamed or roasted veggies of your choice - like:
or go for a lovely mixed salad with all your favourite salad choices, such as lettuce, baby greens, cucumber, tomatoes, beets, onion, peppers, slaw etc.
another great option is this Creamy Coleslaw - yum!!
More Pasta Bake Recipes
Love a delicious Pasta Bake? Check out some of these other recipes:
- CREAMY CHICKEN MUSHROOM TOMATO PASTA BAKE
- BEST EVER BOLOGNESE PASTA BAKE
- CHICKEN BACON AND TOMATO PASTA BAKE
- CHICKEN, BROCCOLI AND CAULIFLOWER PASTA BAKE
- SLOPPY JOE PASTA BAKE
- BACON, FENNEL AND MUSHROOM PASTA BAKE
- MEXICAN PASTA BAKE
- SAUSAGE AND BEAN PASTA BAKE
or head on over to my Full Recipe Index with over 850 delicious Slimming World and Weight Watchers recipes all fully searchable by meal type, ingredients, syn value and smart points etc
You can also subscribe to Slimming Eats so that you never miss any new updates.
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE, LET US KNOW! LEAVE A COMMENT, RATE IT AND TAG US IN YOUR PHOTOS @SLIMMINGEATS ON INSTAGRAM
See the handy Pinterest image below if you wish to pin this for later 🙂
For the pasta sauce:
- 100g (3.5oz) of onion, diced
- 100g (3.5oz) of carrot, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 425g (15oz) of crushed tomatoes
- 1 tbs of tomato paste (puree)
- ½ tbs of balsamic vinegar
- pinch of dried basil
- pinch of dried oregano
- 1.5 cups (360ml) of water
- salt and black pepper
- cooking oil spray (I used olive oil)
For the pasta bake
- 250g (9oz) of uncooked pasta (I used penne rigate)
- 4-5 handfuls of fresh spinach, chopped
- 150g (5.5oz) of mozzarella, broken into pieces
- 30g (1oz) of parmesan, grated
- Spray a frying pan with some cooking oil spray.
- Add the onion, carrot and garlic and fry for a couple of minutes to soften.
- Add in the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, vinegar, herbs and water, bring to a boil and then cover and simmer for about 10-15 minutes.
- Add to a blender (or use a stick blender and blend until smooth (you can leave the sauce as is if you prefer).
- Taste sauce and season as needed with salt and black pepper.
- Preheat oven to 180c/Fan 160c/350f or gas mark 4
- Cook pasta accordingly to package instructions until al dente. Reserve a little of the pasta water
- Combine the sauce with the pasta and chopped spinach until all mixed well. Add in a little of the reserved pasta water if needed to loosen sauce.
- Add to an ovenproof dish and top with the cheeses.
- Bake for approx 25-30 minutes until cheese on top is melted and lightly golden.
- Serve and enjoy!!
This recipe is gluten free, vegetarian, Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly.
- Slimming World - 1 HEa per serving
- Green WW Smart Points - 11 per serving
- Blue WW Smart Points - 11 per serving
- Purple WW Smart Points - 5 per serving (use whole grain pasta)
- Gluten Free - use a gluten free pasta of choice
- Vegetarian - swap the parmesan for a vegetarian friendly cheese
SUITABLE FOR FREEZING (See recipe write up for tips)
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided.
Do not screenshot content or post recipe or content in full. All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
Nutritional information, syn values, points etc are an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate by the ingredients you use.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Ninja BL682UK2 1500W Food Processor with Nutri Auto-iQ
OXO Good Grips Box Grater
Santoku Knife-MAD SHARK Pro Kitchen Knife 7 Inch Santoku Knife,Best Quality German High Carbon Stainless Steel Knife with Ergonomic Handle,Ultra Sharp,Best Choice for Home Kitchen and Restaurant
ProCook Gourmet Non-Stick Induction Saute Pan with Lid - 28cm / 3.4L - Cooking Pan for Induction Hobs with Toughened Glass Lid and Non-Slip Stay-Cool Silicone Handles
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 308Total Fat 15gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 36mgSodium 795mgCarbohydrates 30gFiber 6gSugar 9gProtein 17g