These Double Baked Smoked Mackerel Stuffed Sweet Potato are packed with flavour and use just a handful of ingredients. A perfect option for lunch when paired with a salad.
Smoked fish certainly isn't for everyone, actually, it's a bit like marmite, you either love it or you hate it. If you love it, then these double baked sweet potatoes are a must.
Love a buttery baked potato? Seriously the smoked mackerel does something magical to these, in that the natural oil for the fish soaks into all that yummy sweet potato, make an amazing combo and explosion of flavour in the mouth.
Who would have thought such simple ingredients would be so delicious!!
Twice Baked Sweet Potato
So what exactly is involved with a twice-baked sweet potato? and that is a pretty valid question to ask.
Have you tried these Cheddar and Bacon Twice Baked Potatoes? Well, it's pretty much a similar method to that, in that we bake the sweet potato whole first, then slice in half, scoop out some of the flesh, mix with an ingredient of choice, add it back into the sweet potato and bake again. Hence the twice-baked part.
You really can try mixing with all kinds of different ingredients for a variety of yummy combinations. Don't be scared to experiment, after all this recipe was totally a throw together last minute kind of meal that worked amazingly well.
Ingredients for Twice-baked Smoked Mackerel Stuffed Sweet Potato
Sweet potato of course. Pick ones that are not too big and not too small. One sweet potato is one serving and we use two in this recipe.
Smoked mackerel comes in various different forms and therefore the calories can vary. I used just regular smoked mackerel, but peppered varieties would be delicious also. As we add some black pepper to the sweet potato in this recipe, you may want to skip that part if using pepper smoked mackerel.
Red pepper flakes add a nice spicy kick when sprinkled on top, if you don't like heat then just give those a miss, but they add some great flavour if you do.
The cooking oil spray is totally up to you. I prefer to use avocado spray oil. It's what I have in the cupboard the majority of the time, so perfect for these.
How to serve Twice-baked Smoked Mackerel Stuffed Sweet Potato
I just went for a simple salad of wild baby arugula (rocket) with some sliced baby cucumber. I didn't even add any dressing, as it really doesn't need it with the natural oils and flavour from the smoked mackerel.
Go for any salad options you like:-
- baby greens or crispy romaine
- fruit like pomegranate is a great addition to any salad and adds a bit of sweetness.
If you can do without a dressing - try this Homemade Lighter Ranch Dressing - it's delicious drizzled over any salad.
More Fish Recipes for you to try
If you like to try and get a least one fish meal into your week, why not try some of these other delicious fish recipes:
- ACTIFRY FISH AND CHIPS
- MINI TUNA COUSCOUS PATTIES
- TUNA AND SWEET POTATO PATTIES
- DAIRY FREE FISH PIE
- PAN-FRIED SEA BASS WITH CREAMY MASHED PEAS
- TILAPIA COCONUT CURRY
- MINI SALMON AND BROWN RICE CAKES
or head on over to my Full Recipe Index with over 850 delicious Slimming Eats and Weight Watchers recipes all fully searchable by meal type, ingredients etc.
This recipe was originally created on 18 March 2014 and updated on the 15 August 2019
You can also subscribe to Slimming Eats so that you never miss any new updates.
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE, LET US KNOW! LEAVE A COMMENT, RATE IT AND TAG US IN YOUR PHOTOS @SLIMMINGEATS ON INSTAGRAM
See the handy Pinterest image below if you wish to pin this for later 🙂
- 2 x 250g (9oz) sweet potatoes, cleaned thoroughly
- 120g (4.5oz) smoked mackerel fillet
- salt and black pepper
- red pepper flakes
- cooking oil spray (I used avocado)
- 2 cups of arugula (rocket)
- 2 baby cucumbers, sliced
- fresh chopped parsley
- Preheat oven to 200c/fan180c or 400f (gas mark 6)
- Pierce sweet potato with a knife.
- Spray with some cooking oil spray and rub it all over the skin, season with a pinch of salt and rub that into the skin also.
- Place in the oven and bake until a it feels softened (approx 40-45 minutes), but skin is slightly crisp.
- Remove from oven allow to cool slightly.
- Slice in the sweet potatoes in half lengthways and scoop out some of the sweet potato flesh into a bowl, so you have two large boat shapes.
- Flake the smoked mackerel fillet into the bowl of sweet potato and mash it all together.
- Scoop back into the sweet potatoes, season over the top with black pepper and some red chilli flakes
- Place back in the oven and bake for 15 minutes until slightly golden on top.
- Sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley
- Serve with the arugula (rocket) and baby cucumber (or salad of your choice).
Please see below for full nutritional info and additional details about recipe:
- Calories - scroll down to nutritional info box
- WW Points and other Slimming or Weight Loss programs - due to plans regularly changing and updating, we recommend calculating with the official tools you get as a member to those plans to ensure accuracy of values.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided at top of this post.
DO NOT COPY AND/OR PASTE FULL RECIPES OR SCREENSHOTS OF ANY CONTENT FROM SLIMMING EATS TO ANY SOCIAL MEDIA OR WEBSITE, IT IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
ALL IMAGES AND CONTENT ON SLIMMING EATS ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED
Nutritional information etc are an estimate and are to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary in values from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate values yourself by the ingredients you use and the tools provided to you as a member of the programme you are following.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationServing Size 1 SERVING
Amount Per Serving Calories 417Total Fat 12.9gSaturated Fat 2.9gCholesterol 51mgSodium 629mgCarbohydrates 54gFiber 7.9gSugar 10.9gProtein 22.6g
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information.