Easy homemade Syn Free Beef Stroganoff - a firm family favourite, perfect with rice or noodles.
Syn Free Beef Stroganoff never fails results in clear plates from the entire family and is a recipe I make often, as it is so flavoursome and goes with literally anything.
Traditionally beef stroganoff is served with egg pasta noodles. Here I serve it with rice, although it would be great with syn free chips too if that's your thing.
To keep this syn free I use yoghurt, but if you have a few syns spare you can also use low-fat cream cheese. I've made this both ways, depending on how much syns I have spare for the day and it's equally delicious.
Don't forget to take the yoghurt out of the fridge a few hours before cooking to bring to room temperature if you are using yoghurt. I find this helps to prevent it from splitting when adding it to the sauce.
Looking for some other delicious beef recipes? Check out some of these:
- LOW SYN MONGOLIAN BEEF (STOVE TOP AND ACTIFRY)
- LOW SYN SATAY BEEF AND VEGETABLES
- SYN FREE ONE POT BEEF FAJITA PASTA
- LOW SYN BEEF WITH MUSHROOMS IN OYSTER SAUCE
- DELICIOUS BEEF TERIYAKI
- LOW SYN KOREAN STYLE BEEF (BULGOGI)
- LOW SYN BEEF CHOW MEIN
- LOW SYN SWEET CHILLI BEEF
or head on over to my FULL RECIPE INDEX with over 850+ delicious Slimming World Recipes all fully searchable by meal type, ingredients, syn values, WW Smart Points etc
Need some additional support on your weight loss journey? Did you know Slimming Eats has a friendly Slimming World Facebook Support Group where you can get daily meal ideas and recipe ideas?
Come and check us out, we’d love to have you join.
How can I add a ⅓ speed foods to this Syn Free Beef Stroganoff?
There are already mushrooms and onions in this yummy syn free beef stroganoff, but you could also serve alongside some sauteed greens of your choosing, like cabbage or Syn Free Sauteed Shredded Garlic Brussel Sprouts.
Want to up the speed foods even further or are doing an SP day? Serve with Roasted Cauliflower rice.
Dairy free? Swap out the yoghurt for coconut milk, but I recommend using the full-fat stuff in a can - you don't need much, about a ⅓ (80ml) of a cup will be plenty.
What Kitchen Items do I need to make this Syn Free Beef Stroganoff?
- Kitchen Scales
- Measuring Spoons
- Measuring Jug
- Santoku Knife (perfect knife for chopping veg)
- Chopping Board
- Large Frying pan
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE, LET US KNOW! LEAVE A COMMENT, RATE IT AND TAG US IN YOUR PHOTOS @SLIMMINGEATS ON INSTAGRAM
- 400g lean beef tenderloin or lean sirloin steak, sliced into thin strips
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced thinly
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 10 button mushrooms, sliced thinly
- 400ml of beef broth
- 2 tablespoon of tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon of dijon mustard (0.5 syns)
- 1 tablespoon of freshly chopped thyme (or use 1 tsp dried)
- salt and pepper to season
- ½ teaspoon of paprika
- splash of worcestershire sauce
- splash of balsamic vinegar
- approx 6 tablespoons of fat free natural yoghurt/fromage frais (remove from fridge a couple of hours before cooking to bring to room temperature)
- Spray oil
- Freshly chopped Italian Parsley
- Heat a non stick frying pan and spray with some spray oil, add the beef tenderloin, season with salt and pepper and cooked until it starts to go golden. Remove and set aside.
- Add the thyme to the beef stock.
- Add the onions, garlic and mushrooms and couple of tablespoons of the stock to the frying pan and keep on a high heat to cook until golden, as the stock reduces keep adding more, repeating the process until only a ¼ of the stock remains and the onion and mushrooms are nicely caramelised.
- Return the beef tenderloin back to the pan along with the rest of the stock and a splash of worcestershire sauce, balsamic vinegar, tomato puree, paprika and mustard. Simmer until sauce has almost reduced, remove from heat and stir in the yoghurt.
- Serve topped with some freshly chopped Italian parsley.
- This dish can be served with rice, pasta or potatoes for an Extra Easy day, or serve with your choice of cauli rice or your choice of speed vegetables for an Original day or SP day.
This recipe is gluten free, dairy free, paleo, Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly
- Extra Easy - syn free per serving
- Original/SP- syn free per serving
- WW Smart Points - 4
- Dairy Free/Paleo - use coconut milk in place of yoghurt - 3 syns per serving
Optional: use 4 tbs low fat cream cheese instead of yoghurt for a creamier version - 2 Syns per serving
*suitable for freezing
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full.
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information.
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
Nutrition InformationYield 2 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 316Total Fat 6.7gSaturated Fat 2.5gCholesterol 0mgSodium 848mgCarbohydrates 13.8gFiber 2.5gSugar 5gProtein 51.3g