Pulled Pork with Blueberry BBQ sauce – Tender slow cooked pulled pork with a delicious tangy smoky blueberry BBQ sauce
Pulled Pork with Blueberry Barbecue Sauce
Pulled Pork is a favourite in my house and having children I try to avoid the use of sweeteners and processed foods.
I have seen lots of great ideas using fruit for it’s natural sweetness in sauces. I have actually done similar before using vegetables butternut squash or sweet potato and it works really well. For this barbecue sauce I thought using a fruit for some natural sweetness would be perfect, something like cherries or pomegranate, but figured it would be too time consuming removing pits/seeds and hey, we all want to reduce our time in the kitchen, right? So I decided on the punnet of blueberries sitting in my fridge and OMG was the sauce good. It complimented the pulled pork perfectly.
Best Pork for Pulled Pork
I find the best pork is either tenderloin as it’s really lean so great when you are watching the calories are healthy eating or pork shoulder, but you will want to trim any visible fat otherwise it can be pretty greasy and really raise the calories in this dish.
Pork shoulder is definitely my preferred choice, I just find it stays much more tender for this style of cooking.
Can I make the blueberry barbecue sauce in advance?
Sure!! I often make it the day before, that way it is all ready for the pulled pork once cooked, saves some time,
Just put it in a air tight container and keep in the fridge until you are ready to use.
Mustard as a coating for Pulled Pork
Trust me, don’t skip this part, even if you hate mustard, you honestly won’t taste it and it helps all the yummy seasoning stick to the pork forming a kind of crust of flavour. Delicious!!!
Perfect Sides for Pulled Pork with Blueberry BBQ Sauce
My family like to enjoy this as a pulled pork bowl, that way they can choose their toppings/sides.
I usually either cook up one of these as the main side:
- Lime Cilantro Rice
- Sweet Potato Fries
- Garlic and Herb Wedges
- and then offer lots of different choices from the following:
- Sweet corn
- Roasted Peppers and Onion
- Black beans
- Chopped Tomatoes or Salsa
- and the of course the yummy Blueberry BBQ Sauce
More Pork Recipes
Looking for some more pork recipes? Check out these:
- CHEESY TOPPED MEDITERRANEAN PORK LOIN CHOPS
- SLOW COOKER CAJUN APPLE PORK TENDERLOIN
- CREAMY GARLIC PORK WITH CABBAGE
- CREAMY PORK CASSEROLE
- STOVE TOP PORK WITH APPLES
- SLOW COOKED TERIYAKI PORK TENDERLOIN
- PINEAPPLE MEXICAN PORK CARNITAS (SLOW COOKER AND PRESSURE COOKER)
or head on over to my Full Recipe Index with over 900 delicious Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly recipes all fully searchable by meal type, ingredients, syn value and smart points etc
come and follow me TO MAKE SURE YOU KEEP UP TO DATE ON ALL NEW RECIPES.
You can also subscribe to Slimming Eats so that you never miss any new updates.
Need extra Support? Come check out my amazing Facebook Support Group
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE, LET US KNOW! LEAVE A COMMENT, RATE IT AND TAG US IN YOUR PHOTOS @SLIMMINGEATS ON INSTAGRAM
For the pulled pork:
- 1kg (2.25lb) of pork tenderloin or pork shoulder (all visible fat removed)
- 1 tablespoon of yellow American mustard
- 2 teaspoons of paprika
- 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon of Mexican chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 1 teaspoon of oregano
- 1 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon of brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1/3 cup (80ml) of chicken stock
- Blueberry Sauce - click for recipe
- Brush the mustard all over the pork
- Place all the seasoning and sugar for the pulled pork into a bowl and mix well. Rub into the pork shoulder
- Add pork to a slow cooker and pour in 80ml (1/3 cup) of chicken stock
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4-6 hours (pork should fall apart easily)
- Once cooked, allow to cool slightly in the pan and then you can shred with two forks.
- You can serve pork as it is out of the slow cooker or Optional Step - Place on a baking tray and place under the grill for 5 mins until top is slightly caramelized, toss with some tongs and place back under the grill to repeat again
- Heat up the blueberry sauce in a small saucepan (can be served cold though too as a dipping sauce), and serve with sauce and your choice of sides.
This recipe is gluten free, dairy free, Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly
- Slimming World - 0.5 syns per serving of pulled pork
- WW Green Smart Points - 5 per serving
- WW Blue Smart Points - 5 per serving
- WW Purple Smart Points - 5 per serving
- Gluten Free - use gluten free stock
Add 2 syns for 1 serving of blueberry BBQ Sauce or 1 WW Smart Point
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided only.
DO NOT COPY AND/OR PASTE FULL RECIPES OR SCREENSHOTS OF ANY CONTENT FROM SLIMMING EATS TO ANY SOCIAL MEDIA, IT IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
ALL IMAGES AND CONTENT ON SLIMMING EATS ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED.
Nutritional information, syn values, points etc are an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate by the ingredients you use.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Baking Tray Set of 4, HaWare Stainless Steel Baking Sheet –Rimmed Pan Baking Sets -Healthy & Non Toxic, Easy Clean & Dishwasher Safe (Large Size)
TOMORAL Measuring Cups and Spoons Set of 13, Durable 304 Stainless Steel 5 Measuring Cups and 5 Measuring Spoons with 2 O Rings and Magnetic Measurement Conversion Chart
Morphy Richards Slow Cooker Sear and Stew 460012 3.5L Black Slowcooker
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 SERVING
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 28Total Fat: 6.2gSaturated Fat: 2.1gCholesterol: 100mgSodium: 508mgCarbohydrates: 2.2gFiber: 0.7gSugar: 1.6gProtein: 34.9g
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free and/or dairy-free, for example) or Vegetarian friendly. Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only
Looking for some additional support on your weight loss journey? Did you know Slimming Eats has a friendly Slimming World Facebook Support Group where you can get daily meal ideas and recipe ideas? Come and check us out, we’d love to have you join.
Looking for some other recipes? Head on over to my RECIPE INDEX for over 900 Slimming World & Weight Watchers recipes for you to browse through, all fully searchable by meal type, Ingredients, syn value and WW Smart Points etc
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full.