Tender slow cooked pulled pork with a delicious blueberry BBQ sauce for a lovely sweetness without the need for added sugar.
Pulled Pork is a favourite in my house and having children I try to avoid the use of sweeteners and processed foods.
I have seen lots of great ideas using fruit for it’s natural sweetness in sauces. I have actually done similar before using butternut squash or sweet potato for it’s natural sweetness. So for this sauce I thought about using maybe pomegranate or cherry, but figured it would be too time consuming removing pits/seeds and hey, we all want to reduce our time in the kitchen, right? So I decided on the punnet of blueberries sitting in my fridge and OMG was the sauce good.
This is great with all kinds of sides, but my families favorite is grilled corn on the cob and roasted sweet potato. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.
This recipe is dairy free, gluten free, paleo, Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly
Slimming Eats Recipe
Extra Easy – 3 syns per serving
Original/SP – 3 syns per serving
- for the pulled pork:
- 1kg of pork shoulder (visible fat removed)
- 2 tsp of paprika
- 1 tsp of smoked paprika
- 1 tsp of chilli powder
- 1 tsp of cumin
- 1 tsp of oregano
- ½ tsp of garlic powder
- ½ tsp of onion powder
- 1 tsp of coconut sugar (or brown sugar) (2 syns) - omit to make this recipe whole30 friendly
- salt and black pepper
- spray oil
- for the blueberry bbq sauce:
- 2 cups of blueberries (8.5 syns)
- ½ cup of coconut aminos (or light soy sauce)
- 2 tbs of rice vinegar
- pinch of onion powder
- pinch of garlic powder
- pinch of smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- for the pulled pork:
- Place all the spices and sugar for the pulled pork into a bowl an mix well. Rub into the pork shoulder an season with salt and black pepper.
- Preheat oven to 150c or 300f or gas mark 2
- Heat a deep dutch oven (I use a cast iron one, but you can use a similar deep lidded pan), spray with spray oil, add the pork shoulder and brown on all sides.
- Add about a ⅓ cup (80ml) of water to the bottom of the dutch oven and then cover with a lid an place in the oven, bake for approx 5 hours (but start checking after 4 hours), you will know it is done when it easily falls apart when you pull at it with a fork. If it doesnt fall apart easily, continue to cook until it does (I instruct like this, as I have found ovens/pots used can vary with cooking time and you want it perfect).
- Once cooked, allow to cool slightly in the pan and then you can shred with two forks.
- for the blueberry BBQ sauce:
- Add the 2 cups of blueberries to a small saucepan
- slowly heat them until they start to break down and release all the juices,
- roughly blend them a stick blender
- add in the coconut aminos (or soy sauce), rice vinegar, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika and tomato paste
- and simmer for about 20 mins until sauce thickens (if it thickens too much, too quickly, you may need to add a little bit of water)
- Serve the pulled pork with the BBQ sauce, (If you prefer to have the sauce all mixed with the pulled pork when served, you can mix in the sauce when you have shredded the pork and place back into the oven at 200c or 400f (gas mark 6) for about 15-20mins.
The recipe above has been calculated for Slimming World, however for those of you following the Weight Watchers plan or another calorie controlled type diet. Below is the approx. nutritional information (using calorie count recipe analysis)
Approx. NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION
per serving with sauce
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free and/or dairy-free, for example) or Vegetarian friendly. Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only
Looking for some additional support on your weight loss journey? Did you know Slimming Eats has a friendly Slimming World Facebook Support Group where you can get daily meal ideas and recipe ideas? Come and check us out, we’d love to have you join.
Looking for some other recipes? Head on over to my RECIPE INDEX for over 850 Slimming World & Weight Watchers recipes for you to browse through, all fully searchable by meal type, Ingredients, syn value and WW Smart Points etc
DID YOU ? I'D TO SEE IT!THIS
Snap a photo and hashtag #slimmingeats or tag me @slimmingeats on INSTAGRAM
Are you on facebook? Then be sure to come and like me on FACEBOOK
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full.