With a delicious golden rustic potato topping – this Chicken and Spinach Pie is a firm family favourite.
This is such a comforting meal that the whole family will love. Tender pieces of chicken, in a creamy sauce with the goodness of spinach and those rustic golden potatoes for the topping are just heavenly.
My favourite time of potatoes to use for this pie is Yukon Golds, you won’t find a better potato. Amazing buttery flavour without having to add any button and that beautiful golden colour.
In the UK a similar variety is the Elfe Potato which can be found at which you can find at Aldi or Waitrose. If you struggle to find those too, I do recommend using a waxy variety of potato over floury. It just makes a much nicer topping for this Chicken and Spinach Pie.
For the creamy sauce, I use fat-free cream cheese, milk and stock. Which is 4 HEa’s in total, but as this recipe serves 4 people, it will be just 1 HEA per serving and 1.5 syns for a little cornstarch. Which is less than 0.5 syns per serving.
Hardly anything for this delicious Chicken and Spinach Pie which will have clear plates all around.
HOW CAN I ADD A 1/3 SPEED FOODS TO THIS RECIPE?
Obviously, the spinach in this pie will count towards your 1/3 speed foods, but to increase those to a 1/3 of your plate. I recommend adding some other greens of choice, we went for some steam broccoli and green beans, nice and simple and I just seasoned it with good ole sea salt and black pepper.
If you often feel confused about speed foods. I recommend reading over The Benefit of Speed Foods – it will really help to understand how it works within Slimming World.
Love Pie type recipes like this? There are many similar recipes to be found on Slimming Eats, that really help cure those cravings for a pie when you don’t want to waste lots of syns on pastry.
Check out some of my pie inspired recipe favourites below:
- Spiralized Butternut Squash Topped Meat Pie
- Syn Free Mini Cottage Pies
- Chicken and Leek Pie
- Dairy Free Fish Pie
- Cheesy Topped Fish Pie
- Chicken and Asparagus No Pastry Pie
- Lentil Shepherds Pie
- Crispy Potato Topped Meat Pie
- Shepherds Pie
- Syn Free Cottage Pie
- Cheesy Cauliflower Topped Pie
and if that’s not enough to choose from, don’t forget my FULL RECIPE INDEX with over 500+ delicious Slimming World Recipes.
Making this for less than 4 people? Make it up in smaller single serving dishes and then you can freeze the other portions, you will be thankful to have them in your freezer for a quick meal to put in the oven on a busy hectic day.
You could even freeze it with your serving of 1/3 speed foods to save even more time. Just ensure you choose a vegetable that will cook well in the oven with the pie. Broccoli is perfect roasted and is one of my favourites.
WHAT KITCHEN ITEMS DO I NEED TO THIS CHICKEN AND SPINACH PIE?
- Kitchen Scales
- Measuring Spoons
- Measuring Jug
- Chopping Board
- Wooden Spoon
- Santoku Knife (perfect knife for chopping veg)
- Mixing Bowl
- Baking Dish
Don’t forget to subscribe to Slimming Eats to keep up to date on all new recipes.
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE, LET US KNOW! LEAVE A COMMENT, RATE IT AND DON’T FORGET TO TAG US IN YOUR PHOTOS @SLIMMINGEATS ON INSTAGRAM AND DON’T FORGET TO FOLLOW SLIMMING EATS ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER | and YOUTUBE TO MAKE SURE YOU KEEP UP TO DATE ON ALL NEW RECIPES 🙂.
Creamy Chicken and Spinach Pie | Slimming World
Yield 4 servings
This recipe is gluten free, Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly
- Extra Easy - 1 HEa and 0.5 syns per serving
- WW Smart Points - 9 per serving (use chicken breast)
*suitable for freezing
- 500g/17.5oz of boneless chicken thighs or breast, chopped (all visible fat removed)
- 800g/28oz of Yukon golden potatoes (or similar potatoes)
- 1 onion, halved and sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- salt and black pepper
- 150g/5.3oz of reduced fat/low fat soft cream cheese - 2 HEa's
- 350ml/1.5 cups of whole milk - 2 HEa's
- 180ml/0.75 cups) of chicken stock
- approx 6 cups of spinach
- 1 tbs of cornstarch - 1.5 syns
- spray oil
- Preheat oven to 200c/400f (gas mark 6)
- Place potatoes in a saucepan of water, bring to a boil and simmer till very slightly soft (not too soft that they are mushy) - approx 8-10 mins
- Drain and rough up with a fork and set aside.
- Spray a frying pan over a medium high heat with spray oil, add the chicken, season with salt and black pepper and cook until lightly golden.
- Remove and set aside, add the onion and garlic and a little of bit of the stock and fry until translucent.
- Add in the cream cheese, milk and stock and whisk till smooth.
- Mix the cornstarch with a little cold water to make a slurry, pour this into the sauce and stir until thickened and creamy.
- Add back in the chicken and stir in the spinach. It will seem a lot, but once you start stirring it in, it wilts down to hardly anything.
- Add the chicken and sauce to a an ovenproof dish. Top with the rustic potatoes. Season over top with salt and black pepper.
- Spray over the top with spray oil, and place in the oven and bake until the potatoes are a lovely golden colour (approx 40 mins)
- Serve with your choice of vegetables.
For the Slimming World USA members use 227g/8oz of fat free - 2 HEa's
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information.
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full
Serving Size 1 serving
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 7.6 g
Saturated Fat 2.8 g
Cholesterol 112 mg
Sodium 739 mg
Total Carbohydrates 49.6 g
Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
Sugars 8 g
Protein 34.9 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free and/or dairy-free, for example) or Vegetarian friendly. Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only
Looking for some additional support on your weight loss journey? Did you know Slimming Eats has a friendly Slimming World Facebook Support Group where you can get daily meal ideas and recipe ideas? Come and check us out, we’d love to have you join.
Looking for some other recipes? Head on over to my RECIPE INDEX for over 900 Slimming World & Weight Watchers recipes for you to browse through, all fully searchable by meal type, Ingredients, syn value and WW Smart Points etc
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full.