Warm yourself up with a comforting bowl of Sweet Potato, Vegetable and Lentil Chilli
Have I ever mentioned how much I love lentils? They are so cheap, are a great source of protein and can be used in a variety of dishes, even using them in place of ground meat.
I always have bags of them in my pantry. Red lentils for things like dhal and soup and chunkier lentils like green and brown for things like this Sweet Potato, Vegetable and Lentil Chilli.
I love making up a big pot of this as I always end up with plenty of leftovers to tub up and freeze for another day.
It is delicious with a combination of sides, like rice, syn free fries, jacket potato, or for stuffing things like peppers, portobello mushrooms, zucchini boats etc and topped with cheese, which goes lovely and melted over the chilli - delicious!!
So many different combinations to make from the speed food packed chilli.
This sweet potato, vegetable and lentil chilli is also SP friendly if you substitute the sweet potato with butternut squash. If you are dairy free, then omit the cheese/yoghurt.
Looking for some other chilli recipes? Check out these:
- Turkey Chilli Stuffed Portobello Mushroom
- Sweet Potato Chilli Nachos
- Syn Free Turkey Chilli
- Chilli-Stuffed Potato Skins
- Syn Free Chilli Stuffed Zucchini Boats
- Chilli Cheese Fries
- Syn Free Chilli Con Carne
- Beef and Roasted Butternut Squash Chilli
- Syn Free Sweet Potato, Vegetable and Lentil Chilli
- Low Syn Loaded Nacho Fries
- Instant Pot Turkey Taco Soup
- Mexican Pasta Bake
or head on over to my Full Recipe Index with over 850 delicious Slimming World and Weight Watchers recipes all fully searchable by meal type, ingredients, syn value and smart points etc.
HOW CAN I ADD A ⅓ SPEED FOODS TO THIS RECIPE?
Some of the veg added to this Beef and Six Bean Chilli will count towards your ⅓ speed foods. But to up your speed foods you could either serve with a salad or instead of syn free chips some vegetable fries.
WHAT KITCHEN ITEMS DO I NEED TO MAKE THIS SWEET POTATO AND LENTIL CHILLI?
- Kitchen Scales
- Measuring Spoons
- Chopping Board
- Measuring Jug
- Santoku Knife (perfect knife for chopping veg)
- Wooden Spoon
- Deep Saucepan or Instant Pot
You can also subscribe to Slimming Eats so that you never miss any new updates.
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE, LET US KNOW! LEAVE A COMMENT, RATE IT AND TAG US IN YOUR PHOTOS @SLIMMINGEATS ON INSTAGRAM
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, finely chopped
- 2 jalapeno's, deseeded and chopped
- 1 courgette finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- 2 sticks of celery, chopped
- 300g (10.5oz) of cubed sweet potato or butternut squash
- 1 cup (240ml) of uncooked green lentils
- 4 ripe on the vine tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 720ml (3 cups) of chicken or vegetable stock
- 240ml (1 cup) of passata
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste (puree)
- 1 tablespoon of chilli powder
- 2 teaspoons of cumin
- 2 teaspoons of paprika
- 1 teaspoon of oregano
- pinch of cayenne (optional if you like it hot)
- splash of balsamic vinegar
- spray oil
- Spray a large saucepan with spray oil.
- Add the onion, garlic, celery, carrot and fry till softened.
- Add the courgette, vine tomatoes, red pepper, jalapeno, sweet potato.
- Add in spices and stir to coat.
- Pour in the stock, passata, tomato puree and lentils and bring to the boil.
- Add a splash of balsamic vinegar, reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for approx 1.5 – 2 hours, lentils should be nice and tender, as should all vegetables.
- This is great served with rice, syn free fries or a jacket potato and a dollop of natural yoghurt on top. Or if you have a HEa spare, you could top with some grated cheddar cheese.
- If freezing,, you may need to add a little more stock when you defrost and reheat.
This recipe is gluten free, dairy free, vegetarian, Slimming World, Instant Pot and Weight Watchers friendly
- Slimming World - syn free per serving
- WW Flex/Freestyle Smart Points - 3 per serving
- Dairy Free - omit dairy
*suitable for freezing
Instant Pot - use saute function to brown vegetables, add all other ingredients and set to bean/chilli setting and allow a natural pressure release.
NOTE: syns for the mustard are negligible per serving
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided.
Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full.
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information.
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 172Total Fat 0.9gSaturated Fat 0.1gCholesterol 1.9mgSodium 476.2mgCarbohydrates 333gFiber 10.2gSugar 5.1gProtein 9.1g