Roasted fennel and peppers is a delicious and nutritious side dish, combining the earthy aniseed flavor of fennel with the sweet essence of bell peppers, all complemented by the aromatic presence of onion and garlic.
This simple recipe is not only packed with flavour but also low in calories, making it an ideal accompaniment to a variety of main meals.
Calories in Roasted Fennel and Peppers
This delicious side dish serves 4 and is 87 calories per serving
There are lots more recipes around this calorie value in my under 100 calories recipe section.
If you're following a calorie-controlled diet or a healthy eating plan, it's important to calculate your daily calorie intake using a reliable calorie calculator. Please note that the calorie counts provided are estimates and can vary based on specific ingredients and serving sizes. Personalizing your calculations is essential to meet your individual needs. By using a calorie calculator, you can make informed choices and stay on track with your dietary goals.
Ingredients in Roasted Fennel and Peppers
To whip up this effortless side dish, gather the following ingredients:
- Green, Red, and Yellow Bell Peppers: Feel free to use a mix of colors, lending a visually stunning touch to the dish. Alternatively, using a single variety works just as well.
- Fennel Bulb: Absolutely essential for its remarkable flavor contribution. Although the aniseed undertones may seem subtle, the roasted fennel offers a delightful sweetness that truly enhances the dish.
- Onion: A standard onion works perfectly, though you can opt for the vibrant flavors of a red onion if preferred.
- Fresh Garlic Cloves: While fresh garlic is preferable, you can substitute with jarred minced garlic or lazy garlic if it's what you have on hand.
- Olive Oil: Opt for genuine olive oil rather than a spray, as the richness of roasting is best achieved with the former. A mere tablespoon for a serving of four isn't overly calorific when divided, but it certainly makes a significant impact on the overall dish. Choose extra virgin olive oil for that perfectly nuanced flavor.
- Seasoning: For a straightforward seasoning approach, rely on the tried-and-true combination of sea salt and black pepper. Should you desire a touch of heat, a pinch of chili flakes makes a fantastic addition.
Best way to cook Roasted Fennel and Peppers
For the best results in cooking roasted fennel and peppers, I recommend using a generously sized aluminum baking tray lined with parchment paper. This ensures the vegetables won't stick to the tray and facilitates quick and effortless cleanup afterward.
Of course, you can opt for any oven-proof dish you prefer, as long as it's spacious enough to accommodate all the vegetables in a single layer. Avoid cramming them into a small dish, as this may cause the vegetables to steam instead of achieving that desired roasted texture and flavor, resulting in a potentially soggy outcome.
How to Serve Roasted Fennel and Peppers
This roasted fennel and peppers is a versatile side dish and can be enjoyed in various ways. Here are a few suggestions:
a) Side Dish: Serve roasted fennel and peppers alongside grilled chicken, fish, or a juicy steak for a balanced and colorful meal. I love to serve this dish alongside some grilled seasoned lamb steaks.
b) Salad Topping: Slice the roasted fennel and peppers into thin strips and add them to your favorite salad for an extra burst of flavor and texture.
c) Sandwich, Wrap or Tacos: Indulge in the mouth watering flavors of roasted fennel and peppers by using them as a delectable filling for sandwiches, wraps, or tacos. They bring a delightful twist to your favorite grilled cheese sandwich, adding a healthy and irresistible burst of flavor.
d) Pasta or Grain Bowl Addition: Simply combine the roasted vegetables with cooked pasta, rice, quinoa or couscous etc. This creates a hearty and nutritious one-bowl meal that's sure to satisfy. To elevate the protein content, consider incorporating shredded cooked chicken, sausage, or seafood. Alternatively, for a vegetarian option, beans like chickpeas can provide a wholesome source of protein.
More Vegetable Sides
Looking for some additional side recipes that focus on low calorie vegetables? Check out the following:
- Spicy Garlic Napa Cabbage
- Irish Buttered Cabbage
- Roasted French Green Beans
- Sautéed Brussels Sprouts with Roasted Butternut Squash
- Roasted Butternut Squash with Paprika
- Brussels Sprouts Salad with Almonds, Apple and Cranberries
- Bombay Butternut Squash
- Sauteed Mushrooms
or if you would like more recipe ideas or sides to make with this recipe - head on over to the FULL RECIPE INDEX where you will find over 900 delicious recipes with calories and you can search by meal type, ingredients, course, diet and more.
Come and follow me on:
FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST
TWITTER, TIK TOK and YOUTUBE
You can also subscribe to Slimming Eats
so that you never miss any new updates.
Need some extra Support? Come and check out my Facebook Group
If you try this recipe, let us know!
Leave a comment, Rate It and
Tag us in your Photos
@SLIMMINGEATS on INSTAGRAM
- 1 large fennel bulb, stalk cut off and sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 4 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced
- salt and black pepper
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 180c fan, 200c, 400f or gas mark 6
- Place all vegetables on a large baking tray line with parchment paper
- Season well all over with salt and black pepper
- Drizzle with the olive oil and then toss to coat and spread out in a single layer on the baking tray
- Roast in oven for approx 25-30 minutes until soften and caramelised.
Please see below for details about recipe:
- Calories - scroll down to nutritional info box
- WW Points and other Slimming or Weight Loss programs: due to plans regularly changing and updating, we recommend calculating with the official tools you get as a member to those plans to ensure accuracy of values
- Gluten Free Friendly
- Dairy Free Friendly
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided at top of this post.
DO NOT COPY AND/OR PASTE FULL RECIPES OR SCREENSHOTS OF ANY CONTENT FROM SLIMMING EATS TO ANY SOCIAL MEDIA OR WEBSITE, IT IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
ALL IMAGES AND CONTENT ON SLIMMING EATS ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED
Nutritional information etc are an estimate and are to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary in values from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate values yourself by the ingredients you use and the tools provided to you as a member of the programme you are following.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Santoku Knife-MAD SHARK Pro Kitchen Knife 7 Inch Santoku Knife,Best Quality German High Carbon Stainless Steel Knife with Ergonomic Handle,Ultra Sharp,Best Choice for Home Kitchen and Restaurant
ZeZaZu Parchment Paper Sheets for Baking (100 Sheets), Precut 12 x 16 inches - Exact Fit for Half-Sheet Baking Pans, Unbleached, Dual-Sided Coating, Siliconized, Non-Stick, RECLOSABLE Pack
Baking Tray Set of 4, HaWare Stainless Steel Baking Sheet –Rimmed Pan Baking Sets -Healthy & Non Toxic, Easy Clean & Dishwasher Safe (Large Size)
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1 SERVING
Amount Per Serving Calories 87Total Fat 4gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 0mgSodium 166mgCarbohydrates 14gFiber 3gSugar 5gProtein 2g
Nutritional information and values etc are an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate by the ingredients you use.