Complete meal in a bowl with the delicious Lemony Chicken Zucchini Rice Soup
With the weather starting to cool down, soups start to frequent more and more on the menu. I love that you can cook up a big pot of soup and put some tubs in the fridge as well as stocking up the freezer, comes in super handy when I have some busy days ahead, as I can just grab a tub and warm up as I need it.
One of the problems with soup however is that if it doesn't combine all the food groups, it's often not filling enough on it's own and you end up craving the usual bread and butter that most want to pair with any bowl of soup.
Zucchini is one of my favourite speed vegetables for how quick and easy it is to prepare, not to forget mention that it is also a brilliant and tasty substitute for pasta or noodles, if you have a Vegetable Spiralizer handy.
This time of year they tend to be pretty cheap and quite big too. So I had a whole bunch of them to use up in the fridge, along with some chicken thighs and wanting to stock up my freezer with some yummy soup. I raided the fridge and pantry for some other yummy ingredients I could combine for this delicious Lemony Chicken Zucchini Rice Soup.
The end result was both filling, flavoursome and super healthy, perfect on it's own just as it is or if you have a Healthy Extra A choice spare, some grated parmesan on top really finishes it off perfectly.
Love filling soup recipes like this Lemony Chicken Zucchini Rice Soup? Then check out some of these:
- Carrot and Butter Bean Soup
- Curried Butternut Squash and Brown Rice Soup
- Sweetcorn and Leek Soup
- Instant Pot Turkey Taco Soup
- Spicy Carrot and Lentil Soup
- Chicken and Vegetable Soup
- Chicken Noodle Soup
- Bacon and Lentil Soup
- Tomato and Pasta Soup
- Tuscan Soup
- Minestrone Soup
or head on over to my FULL RECIPE INDEX with now over 850 delicious Slimming Eats Recipes all fully searchable by meal type, ingredients etc
What Kitchen Items do I need to make this Lemony Chicken Zucchini Rice Soup?
- Kitchen Scales
- Measuring Spoons
- Measuring Cups
- Wooden Spoon
- Santoku Knife (perfect knife for chopping veg)
- Chopping Board
- Dutch oven or large saucepan
- Wooden Spoon
- Blender or Immersion Stick Blender
You can also subscribe to Slimming Eats to keep up to date on all new recipes.
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE, LET US KNOW! LEAVE A COMMENT, RATE IT AND TAG US IN YOUR PHOTOS @SLIMMINGEATS ON INSTAGRAM
- 145g/0.75 cup of uncooked long grain rice
- 250g/90z of boneless skinless chicken thigh
- ½ tsp of garlic powder
- ½ tsp of onion powder
- ½ tsp of oregano
- cooking oil spray
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 14oz/400g of zucchini (courgette), quartered lengthways and sliced
- juice and zest of a lemon
- 6 cups of chicken stock
- salt and black pepper
- Add the rice to a saucepan with 2 cups of water, bring to a boil, then simmer until liquid is almost absorbed. Turn off head, add lid and leave for 10 mins, set aside.
- Spray a large saucepan over a medium high heat with cooking oil spray, add the chicken, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano and some salt and black pepper and fry for about 5 mins until browned. Remove and set aside.
- Spray the saucepan with some more cooking oil spray, add the onion and fry until softened.
- Add the garlic and zucchini and fry for a further minute.
- Add in the lemon juice and zest and stock. Bring to boil and then simmer for 12-15 mins.
- Add ⅔ of the soup to a blender and blend till smooth (if you prefer you can blend the whole soup)
- Return to the pan and then stir in the chicken and rice and simmer for an additional 5 mins.
- Serve and enjoy!!
Please see below for full nutritional info and additional details about recipe:
- Calories - scroll down to nutritional info box
- WW Points and other Slimming or Weight Loss programs - due to plans regularly changing and updating, we recommend calculating with the official tools you get as a member to those plans to ensure accuracy of values.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided at top of this post.
DO NOT COPY AND/OR PASTE FULL RECIPES OR SCREENSHOTS OF ANY CONTENT FROM SLIMMING EATS TO ANY SOCIAL MEDIA OR WEBSITE, IT IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
ALL IMAGES AND CONTENT ON SLIMMING EATS ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED
Nutritional information etc are an estimate and are to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary in values from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate values yourself by the ingredients you use and the tools provided to you as a member of the programme you are following.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1 serving
Amount Per Serving Calories 155Total Fat 1.7gSaturated Fat 0.4gCholesterol 31.9mgSodium 667mgCarbohydrates 24.2gFiber 1.6gSugar 3gProtein 10.9g