Once you make this Chicken Noodle Soup, you will come back to again and again.
A great use of the carcass of a roast chicken and it really makes a difference to the flavour of this soup, to make your stock like this and not from cubes.
My family absolutely love this soup and it's the one my kids often request that I make.
This Chicken Noodle Soup can be made gluten free by using a gluten free pasta like brown rice pasta (which I find is the closest in taste and texture to regular pasta), you can also make this SP, Paleo or Whole30 friendly by using spaghetti squash or spiraled vegetables, like zucchini, or butternut squash.
For spiralling vegetables I love my paderno vegetable spiralizer. It's one of the best makes out there. It's pretty expensive however in the UK, but this one if very similar:
Make up a big pot of this Chicken Noodle Soup and freeze some for another day. It's great for sipping on when you are not feeling great too.
If you don't have a chicken carcass and still want to make this soup, bone in chicken thighs (with all fat removed) work really well. Just brown along with the veg for the soup base and then when the broth is ready, you can shred off the chicken and use this for the soup. Delicious!!
Extra Easy - syn free per serving
SP/Original/Paleo/Whole30 - syn free per serving (use spiralled veg in place of pasta)
WW Smart Points - 4
- 1 Roast Chicken Carcass
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons of Italian Herbs
- salt and black pepper
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 parsnip, finely chopped
- 90g/3oz of uncooked spaghetti, broken in half (can use gluten free pasta or use Spaghetti Squash, Spiralled Zucchini or another alternative to make this gluten free)
- some leftover cooked chicken (I saved some meat from the Roast Chicken)
- fresh Italian parsley
- salt and black pepper
- spray oil
- Spray a large pot with spray oil over a medium high heat, add the onion, carrots, garlic and Italian herbs and fry for a few mins to soften. Break up the chicken carcass and add to the pot.
- Cover with 2 litres of water and season well with salt and black pepper. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for approx 1-1½ hours.
- Drain the soup base over a sieve, so that you just have the liquid/stock and set aside.
- Clean pot and spray with some low calorie spray, add the onion, carrots and parsnips and fry till softened and lightly golden. (I like to add a parsnip into my soup as I find it gives a lovely flavour)
- Add in the homemade stock and bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for about 1 hour, until veg is tender.
- For the last 20 min of cooking time, add in the cooked chicken and spaghetti.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper and garnish with chopped Italian parsley.
- Divide among bowls and enjoy!!
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full