Curried Butternut Squash and Brown Rice Soup - a perfect recipe to warm yourself up on a cold winters day.
This week has been pretty cold and miserable here in South Western Ontario. Snow just starting to melt, with the green grass underneath just starting to peak through. Hopefully, a sign that Spring will soon be here.
Sadly though here in Canada, we often get teased with a nice ray of warm sunshine and think spring is finally upon us, when out of nowhere we have a big snowfall all over again.
I have learnt not to put the winter coats and boots away because you can guarantee as soon as I do, we will have a spot of freezing cold weather again.
When it's cold, I always crave a nice bowl of filling spicy soup and this Curried Butternut Squash and Brown Rice Soup definitely hit the spot.
Lovely spices of curry, the sweetness of butternut squash, creaminess of coconut milk and filling high satiety brown rice. It was a complete meal in a bowl, really delicious and satisfying.
No complicated ingredients, just good wholesome ingredients. I love a soup where you can just throw a few ingredients in a pot and a short while later the soup is done.
This Spicy Curried Butternut Squash and Brown Rice Soup can be cooked stovetop or in a pressure cooker like an Instant Pot.
I love my Instant Pot. It is a 7in1 cooker, which slow cooks, pressure cooks, saute’s, has settings for soup, chilli, rice, porridge and even makes yoghurt (I haven’t tried that yet).
If you love soup recipes like this Curried Butternut Squash and Brown Rice Soup, check out these other yummy recipes:
- Syn Free Loaded Baked Potato Soup
- Syn Free Turkey Taco Soup
- Spicy Roasted Parsnip and Sweet Potato Soup
- Vegetable and Pearl Barley Soup
- Chicken Butternut Squash Coconut Curry Soup
- Chicken, Bean and Rice Soup
- Syn Free Chicken and Vegetable Soup
- Syn Free Split Pea and Bacon Soup
- Syn Free Spicy Sweet Potato, Red Pepper and Carrot Soup
- Syn Free Carrot and Butter Bean Soup | Slimming World
- Syn Free Sweetcorn and Leek Soup
or head on over to my FULL RECIPE INDEX with over 500+ delicious Slimming World Recipes.
As soon as I shared the picture of this delicious Curried Butternut Squash and Brown Rice Soup on my Facebook Group, as part of my food diary, many requested it, so I knew I had to get it on the blog as soon as possible and finally here it is. Hope you all enjoy it as much as I did and if you haven't yet checked out my group, it's a lovely supportive place to get additional food ideas, motivation and recipes for your Slimming World journey. We would love to see you there.
For the coconut milk - I use canned light. I don't recommend using the stuff that you get in the cartons, as it's not quite as creamy, that stuff is generally more for drinking/pouring etc. Of course, if you are okay with it not super creamy, then go ahead if you want to save a few additional syns. This is not too bad though with the canned light coconut milk, once divided into servings.
I used brown rice which takes a little while longer to cook than regular rice, hence the longer simmering time for this soup, but you can use long grain rice if you want, I wouldn't simmer for any longer than 15-20 mins max.
WHAT KITCHEN ITEMS DO I NEED TO MAKE THIS CURRIED BUTTERNUT SQUASH AND BROWN RICE SOUP?
- Deep Saucepan or Instant Pot
- Kitchen Scales
- Measuring Jug
- Measuring Spoons
- Wooden Spoon
- Santoku Knife (perfect knife for chopping veg)
- Chopping Board
You can also subscribe to Slimming Eats to keep up to date on all new recipes.
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE, LET US KNOW! LEAVE A COMMENT, RATE IT AND TAG US IN YOUR PHOTOS @SLIMMINGEATS ON INSTAGRAM
- 400g of butternut squash, diced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1.5 tbs of medium curry powder
- ½ cup of brown rice
- 4 cups (960ml) of vegetable stock
- 1 cup (240ml) of light coconut milk - 7.5 syns
- fresh cilantro (coriander), chopped
- cooking oil spray
- Spray a large saucepan with cooking oil spray
- Add the onion and fry until softened
- Add the garlic and fry for a further minute to infuse the flavour.
- Add the butternut squash, curry powder and a little of the stock (just to prevent sticking) and mix to combine.
- Rinse the rice under cold water, and add into the pot along with the rest of the stock.
- Bring to a boil and then cover, reduce heat and simmer for 40mins.
- Stir in coconut milk and cilantro, and continue to simmer until heated through and creamy.
Instant Pot/Pressure Cooker:
- Set to saute mode, and spray with cooking oil spray.
- Once hot, add the onion and fry until softened.
- Add the garlic and fry for a further minute to infuse flavour.
- Add the butternut squash, curry powder and a little of the stock (to prevent sticking) and stir to coat.
- Rinse rice under cold running water.
- Add to the instant pot along with the remaining stock.
- Add lid, ensure valve is closed and cook at high pressure manual setting for 20 minutes.
- Let pressure naturally release for 10 minutes, then quick release any remaining pressure.
- Set to saute mode again, add in the coconut milk and cilantro (coriander) and stir until heated.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full.
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information.
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1 serving
Amount Per Serving Calories 192Total Fat 5gSaturated Fat 3.1gSodium 563mgCarbohydrates 35.7gFiber 6.2gSugar 5.2gProtein 4.3g