Dig in and enjoy a plate of this delicious Lebanese Chicken with Roasted Peppers and Rice.
I love Lebanese food and it wasn't until I moved to Canada, that I actually tried any.
Here in the town I live there are many Lebanese restaurants and take aways to eat at.
Some of my favourite dishes to order are fattoush (a tossed green salad with the fresh taste of cucumbers, mint and crispy pieces of pita bread) although the latter can vary as to how they serve the pita. Then there is also kibbeh, a delicious meat filled bulgur wheat dish, check out my Baked Spicy Kibbeh - some of those would be perfect alongside this dish.
Then there are of course the usual grilled meats and dips such as hummus - this Roasted Sweet Potato Hummus is delicious and baba ganoush (an grilled Eggplant/Aubergine dip).
There is also Z'aatar seasoning which is used in many Lebanese dishes, especially on grilled meats. It has the lovely flavour of sumac, cumin, thyme, sesame seeds and sometimes a few other spices. It's one of my favourite seasoning mixes and a mix I use to flavour the chicken in this Lebanese Chicken dish.
Sumac has an amazing distinct tangy lemony flavour. But i’m Aware it’s not an easy spice for everyone to find. If you can’t get sumac, instead use some sweet paprika. It won’t give the same flavour, but will still taste Amazing.
The chicken is perfect served alongside the delicious Roasted Pepper Rice - sweet roasted peppers mixed with a lightly seasoned rice. Best of all it's a dish that is totally syn free, so you can enjoy this Lebanese Chicken and have plenty of syns leftover for a treat later, should you want one. Check out all these yummy Dessert Recipes to see if any take your fancy.
This dish is also gluten free, unfortunately the marinade of the yoghurt means it isn't dairy free, but a low synned dairy free yoghurt would work well too, if you can't eat dairy and would like to try this dish.
I pair this up with a mixed salad and fresh lemon slices, but it would also go really well with some other vegetables of your choice. Either way it's a perfect family meal
Looking for some more Chicken recipes to try?
- Syn Free Garlic Chicken and French Bean Tray Bake
- Syn Free Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Pasta
- Asian Chicken with Noodles
- Low Syn Chinese Salt and Pepper Chicken
- Low Syn Best Ever Chicken Korma
- Chicken and Sweetcorn Lasagne
- Chicken and Leek Pie
- Hoisin Chicken
- Chicken with Creamy Mushroom Sauce
- 8 chicken thighs, all fat and skin removed
- ½ cup of fat free yoghurt
- 4 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons of ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon of ground coriander
- 1 tsp of sumac (use some paprika is you can't get this)
- 1 tsp of dried thyme
- ½ tsp of sea salt
- ½ tsp of sesame seeds
- juice of a lemon
- spray oil
- 1 cup (240ml) of long grain rice
- 2 cups (480ml) of chicken stock
- 1 red pepper, roughly chopped
- 1 green pepper, roughly chopped
- 1 small red onion, roughly chopped
- fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- In a large bowl, mix together the yoghurt, garlic, juice of a lemon and spices (including sesame seeds) . Add the chicken thigh pieces and mix to thoroughly coat. Refrigerate for a couple of hours.
- Preheat oven to 220c or 425f
- Add the peppers and onion to an oven proof dish, spray with spray oil and roast in the oven till soft and caramelised (approx 30 mins), remove and set aside.
- Place the chicken on a baking tray lined with foil, spray over the top with spray oil and place in the oven with the peppers after 10 mins. The chicken will take approx 20 mins to cook, you want it lovely and golden on the outside.
- Add the rice to a saucepan, along with the stock, bring to a boil and then simmer until stock is almost absorbed. Turn off heat, add lid and leave for 10 mins (the steam trapped underneath will cook the rice perfectly.
- Once the peppers and onions are ready, add the to the pan of rice and mix to combine.
- Sprinkle the chicken with fresh chopped coriander and serve along side the rice.
- I also served with a salad, but this would go well with some other vegetables of choice too.
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only.
Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. Also double check syn values of sinned ingredients as different brands can vary.
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1 serving
Amount Per Serving Calories 451Total Fat 12.8gSaturated Fat 3.4gCholesterol 130mgSodium 658mgCarbohydrates 46.9gFiber 3gSugar 3.3gProtein 37.8g