Soon the kids will be on their summer holidays, so I am trying to come up with more recipes for on the go when we are on days out that I can pack up into a picnic. Finger foods always work best and these little bites are delicious. You could add some other veg or even some other protein into these too to mix them up a bit.
This recipe is vegetarian, Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly
Slimming Eats Recipe
Extra Easy – 1 HEa per serving
Green – 1 HEa per serving
or 1 syn per Cheesy Couscous bite when not using Healthy Extra A choice
- 1 cup (240ml) of couscous
- 1 cup (240ml) of hot chicken or vegetable stock
- 60g/2oz cheddar, grated
- 30g/1oz of parmesan, grated
- spray oil
- for the sauce
- 4 large vine tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 tbs of mixed herbs
- 1 splash of balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbs of tomato paste
- 1 cup (240ml) of chicken or vegetable stock
- spray oil
- salt and black pepper
- Add the couscous to a saucepan, cover with the 1 cup of hot chicken or vegetble stock, stir, add leave and leave for 5 mins.
- Preheat oven to 200c, 400f (gas mark 6)
- Spray a frying pan over a medium high heat with spray oil
- Add the onion and garlic and fry till softened
- Add the tomatoes and simmer until they start to break down into a sauce.
- Add the mixed herbs, tomato paste, splash of balsamic and stock and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, add lid and simmer for 30 mins, until sauce reduces down and thicken
- Fluff up the couscous with fork, add half of the tomato sauce and mix. Stir in the the cheddar and Parmesan.
- With hands work all the mixture together and form into 15 mini bites. Place on a baking tray lined with parchment and spray over the top with spray oil, bake in the oven for 30 mins until lightly golden.
- While the bites are cooking in the oven, add the remainder of the sauce to a blender and blend till smooth. (or you can leave it chunky for a more rustic sauce)
- Serve the bites with the sauce on the side. The sauce is delicious hot or cold with these bites.
The recipe above has been calculated for Slimming World, however for those of you following the Weight Watchers plan or another calorie controlled type diet. Below is the approx. nutritional information:
Approx. NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free and/or dairy-free, for example) or Vegetarian friendly. Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only
Looking for some additional support on your weight loss journey? Did you know Slimming Eats has a friendly Slimming World Facebook Support Group where you can get daily meal ideas and recipe ideas? Come and check us out, we’d love to have you join.
Looking for some other recipes? Head on over to my RECIPE INDEX for over 850 Slimming World & Weight Watchers recipes for you to browse through, all fully searchable by meal type, Ingredients, syn value and WW Smart Points etc
DID YOU ? I'D TO SEE IT!THIS
Snap a photo and hashtag #slimmingeats or tag me @slimmingeats on INSTAGRAM
Are you on facebook? Then be sure to come and like me on FACEBOOK
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full.