With Valentines day approaching next week, what better way to celebrate than with these delicious Red Velvet Doughnuts
Ever since I ordered my doughnut baking tray I have been creating all kinds of different doughnuts for you to enjoy. After all living in Canada with Tim Hortons on every corner, I had to come up with a low syn fix for all those delicious high synned doughnuts they sell.
Below is the delicious doughnut recipes I have created so far:
- White Chocolate Glazed Doughnuts
- Chocolate Doughnuts
- Banana Doughnuts
- Pumpkin Doughnuts
- Oreo Doughnuts
- Jam Filled Doughnuts
I use a healthy extra B allowance of oats, that way it reduces the syns and keeps them gluten free, (so long as the oats are gluten free verified).
For blitzing the oats in these Red Velvet Doughnuts. I use my awesome new Ninja Duo Blender with Auto IQ technology. It is a super clever blender that features intelligent programs that combine pulsing and blending patterns, meaning there is no having to guess how long to pulse or blend etc. It’s amazing. I blend the oats for this using the Nutri Ninja Cup.
To get the flavours of red velvet cake. I used similar ingredients to these yummy Red Velvet Pancakes, which are amazing by the way. For sweetening, I use Sukrin:1 (a natural tasting sweetener), although feel free to use another sweetener of choice. The sukrin:1 however doesn’t give that horrid aftertaste like some other varieties too.
For those in Canada – Swerve can be purchased at most loblaws stores in the health food section.
Also don’t forget that Slimming World have recently made some changes to sweeteners and any time you use a tablespoon or more, it should be synned at 0.5 syns per tablespoon, this is to protect your weight loss.
I can’t even remember the first time I tried red velvet cake. I think it may of been at the Cheesecake Factory many years ago now. It definitely lived up to the expectation. It’s a hard flavour to describe, it just tastes like Red Velvet Cake, there are no other words to describe it.
You can enjoy 3 of these Red Velvet Doughnuts using your healthy extra b choice and a few syns, So space them out through the day, or save them for the even to enjoy with a cuppa. You don’t have to share them, but seeing as I made them with Valentines day in mind, it would be nice to let your loved one enjoy 1, 2 or maybe 3 also.
Low Syn Red Velvet Doughnuts
Yield 9 doughnuts
This recipe is gluten free, vegetarian, Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly
- Extra Easy - 1 HEb and 3 syns for 3 doughnuts
- Green - 1 HEb and 3 syns for 3 doughnuts
- Original - 1 HEb and 3 syns for 3 doughnuts
- WW Smart Points - 7
- Gluten Free - ensure oats and baking powder are gluten free
If not using your HEb it is 3.5 syns per doughnut
- 120g (4oz) Oats - 3xHEa's
- 1 level tbs (5g) of unsweetened cocoa powder - 1 syn
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 2 tbs of Sukrin:1 (or other sweetener of choice) - 1 syn
- couple of drops of red food colouring (I use a natural one)
- 1 large egg
- ¾ tsp of baking powder
- ⅛ tsp of baking soda
- ¼ tsp of salt
- 100g (1/3 cup) fat free cherry yoghurt
- 2 tbs of water
for the icing:
- 3 tbs of low fat cream cheese - 3 syns
- 3 tbs of fat free Greek vanilla yogurt
- sukrin:1 to taste
- 4 tsps of red sprinkles - 4 syns
- Preheat oven to 180c/350f (gas mark 4)
- Place oats in a blender or food processor and pulse till fine.
- Add the cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt and mix to combine.
- In a separate bowl add the egg, yogurt, sukrin:1 (or other sweetener), water and vanilla extract and whisk till combined.
- Add a couple of drops of red food colouring for the red colour
- Fold this into the oat mixture.
- If your donut tray is not non stick you will need to grease.
- Add the batter to 9 holes of the doughnuts tray and lightly tap the tray on the counter to evenly distribute
- Place in the oven and bake for approx 13 mins (a tooth pick entered into the middle should come out clear).
- When you remove the doughnuts from the oven, allow them to cool slightly in the tray and then carefully remove using a silicone spatula by running it around the bottom.
- In a bowl mix together the low fat cream cheese and fat free Greek vanilla yogurt and a little sweetener to taste
- Spread it over the top of each donut, and sprinkle with the red sprinkles.
- Enjoy 3 of these as a HEb and 3 syns - they are yummy!!
Syn value of cocoa powder can vary from brand to brand. The three brands I use are 100% cocoa powder (not Dutch Processed) and are 1 tbs for 20 calories (1 syn).
You should always double check the syn values of items which are synned, as brands can differ.
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only.
Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information.All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full
Serving Size 3 doughnuts
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 6.1 g
Saturated Fat 1.9 g
Cholesterol 67 mg
Sodium 363 mg
Total Carbohydrates 29.9 g
Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
Sugars 4.2 g
Protein 12.2 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free and/or dairy-free, for example) or Vegetarian friendly. Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only
Looking for some additional support on your weight loss journey? Did you know Slimming Eats has a friendly Slimming World Facebook Support Group where you can get daily meal ideas and recipe ideas? Come and check us out, we’d love to have you join.
Looking for some other recipes? Head on over to my RECIPE INDEX for over 850 Slimming World & Weight Watchers recipes for you to browse through, all fully searchable by meal type, Ingredients, syn value and WW Smart Points etc
DID YOU ? I'D TO SEE IT!THIS
Snap a photo and hashtag #slimmingeats or tag me @slimmingeats on INSTAGRAM
Are you on facebook? Then be sure to come and like me on FACEBOOK
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full.