Add a batch of these Amazing Red Pesto, Sweet Potato and Tuna Burgers to your meal plan this week and serve them for lunch with a mixed salad or even on the side of some soup. They are perfect to enjoy hot or cold.
Gotta love a burger and sometimes that doesn't have to be the usual beef burger in a bun with cheese and the whole shebang. Although I've gotta admit that is pretty darn good too, especially this Syn Free Big Mac and Fries Fakeaway.
But sometimes I just love a light burger than I can serve up for lunches with a salad or take on a picnic if we have a planned day out and that's where these Red Pesto, Sweet Potato and Tuna Burgers are perfect.
The idea came about for these when I had the usual leftovers that I didn't want to waste. Some leftover sweet potato mash, and a couple of tbs of red pesto in the jar as we had enjoyed pesto pasta for dinner a few nights before.
Some of the best recipes come from where I combine some leftover ingredients together into something else. Not always combinations I would usually put together, but oddly they just taste delicious and really work. I mean who on earth would put red pesto and tuna in a burger with sweet potato - that of course would be me.
and if you love a good burger, check out some of these other burger recipes:
- Sweet Potato Cheeseburger Sliders
- Mozzarella, Red Pesto and Red Onion Topped Burgers
- Roasted Red Pepper and Feta Quinoa Burgers
- Mexican Burgers
- Greek Style Lamb Burgers
- The Ultimate SW Bacon Cheeseburger
- Syn Free Sloppy Joes (Stove Top and Instant Pot)
or head on over to my FULL RECIPE INDEX with over 800 delicious Slimming World recipes, fully searchable by meal type, syn value, ingredients etc
HOW CAN I ADD A ⅓ SPEED FOODS TO THESE RED PESTO, SWEET POTATO AND TUNA BURGERS?
Serve with a mixed salad or on the side of a bowl of vegetable soup to increase your ⅓ speed foods. These do have some peppers and onion included, but it's always good to include some addition speed foods where you can, they will help keep you well satiated.
TO MAKE THIS DELICIOUS RED PESTO, SWEET POTATO AND TUNA BURGERS YOU WILL NEED THE FOLLOWING KITCHEN ITEMS:
- Steamer Saucepan or microwave
- Frying Pan
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- Small mixing bowl
- Santoku Knife (perfect knife for chopping veg)
- Chopping Board
- Baking Tray
- Parchment Paper
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE, LET US KNOW! LEAVE A COMMENT, RATE IT AND TAG US IN YOUR PHOTOS @SLIMMINGEATS ON INSTAGRAM
Red Pesto, Sweet Potato and Tuna Burgers | Slimming World
Yield 3 servings
This recipe is gluten free, Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly
- Extra Easy - 2 syns per serving (2 burgers)
- WW Smart Points - 2 syns per serving (2 burgers)
- 400g (14oz) of raw sweet potato
- 350g (12.5oz) of tinned tuna in water, drained
- 2 tablespoons of red pesto (6 syns)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- half a red pepper, finely chopped
- ¼ cup (60ml) of sweetcorn
- ¼ cup (60ml) of frozen peas
- 1 egg, beaten
- cooking oil spray
- Salt and Black pepper
- Peel and chop the sweet potato and place in a steamer above a saucepan of boiling water and steam until softened or alternately pierce the whole sweet potato (with skin) with a fork and place in the microwave for approx 6 mins till soft. set aside to cool
- Spray a frying pan over a medium high heat with some cooking oil spray, add the onion and red pepper and fry until softened.
- To a large bowl, add the cooked sweet potato (remove skin if you microwaved) and mash with a fork.
- Add the tuna, onion, pepper and pesto and mix thoroughly to combine.
- Mix in the beaten egg and then add the sweetcorn and frozen peas. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Form into 6 equal sized burgers.
- Preheat oven to 200c or 400f (gas mark 6)
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper. Carefully place the burgers onto the lined tray and spray over the top with cooking oil spray.
- Place in the oven and bake until both sides are golden. Approx 30-35 mins. You will need to carefully flip them over half way through cooking time.
- Garnish with parsley or coriander.
- Serve and enjoy!!
Syns in red pesto can vary between different brands, so double check the syn value of the one you use.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full.
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information.
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
Serving Size 2 burgers
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 7.2 g
Saturated Fat 2.1 g
Cholesterol 104 mg
Sodium 529 mg
Total Carbohydrates 35.7 g
Dietary Fiber 6 g
Sugars 8.9 g
Protein 29.1 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.